Author Topic: New Music!  (Read 255272 times)

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2006, 04:32:02 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
from a review on slate.com of the new Mary J Blige CD:

"Toward the end of the album, Blige encounters a heretofore immovable object: Bono. In a live recording from the Hurricane Katrina relief telecast, she joins U2, one of the few acts in the world with a comparable mastery of the grandiose, to perform "One." Bono sings the song's first verse beautifully. Blige then steps forward and steals the song from him completely—swooping, growling, leaping into a supple falsetto and unleashing spiraling melismas—recasting U2's anthem as a troubled sister's condemnation and lament. Bono may have planned to sing another verse; he doesn't bother. What do you call a woman who can storm U2's stage and reduce rock's biggest ego to a shrinking violet? Diva seems too mild a word."

has anyone heard this? or seen the video?

i just downloaded it, and am listening now. it's good, but, damn, i thought i was going to hear the likes of aretha and patti, the way the reviewer was carrying on. perhaps i haven't downloaded the live version. i downloaded the version from the itunes version of the album, the breakthrough. the song certainly doesn't sound like a live performance. maybe there's a different version on the tangible copy of the album.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
one
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2006, 04:54:54 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
from a review on slate.com of the new Mary J Blige CD:

"Toward the end of the album, Blige encounters a heretofore immovable object: Bono. In a live recording from the Hurricane Katrina relief telecast, she joins U2, one of the few acts in the world with a comparable mastery of the grandiose, to perform "One." Bono sings the song's first verse beautifully. Blige then steps forward and steals the song from him completely—swooping, growling, leaping into a supple falsetto and unleashing spiraling melismas—recasting U2's anthem as a troubled sister's condemnation and lament. Bono may have planned to sing another verse; he doesn't bother. What do you call a woman who can storm U2's stage and reduce rock's biggest ego to a shrinking violet? Diva seems too mild a word."

has anyone heard this? or seen the video?
i just downloaded it, and am listening now. it's good, but, damn, i thought i was going to hear the likes of aretha and patti, the way the reviewer was carrying on. perhaps i haven't downloaded the live version. i downloaded the version from the itunes version of the album, the breakthrough. the song certainly doesn't sound like a live performance. maybe there's a different version on the tangible copy of the album.

It sounds like it might be studio-live, and yes, I think the reviewer oversold it a bit, but it still gave me chills.  But then, this is one of my favorite songs anyway, so I didn't have much to lose.  I'm wondering if my high school students like Mary J Blige, so I can play this song.  They are extremely critical about music outside of their own everyday world.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: one
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2006, 08:24:28 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
It sounds like it might be studio-live, and yes, I think the reviewer oversold it a bit, but it still gave me chills.  But then, this is one of my favorite songs anyway, so I didn't have much to lose.  I'm wondering if my high school students like Mary J Blige, so I can play this song.  They are extremely critical about music outside of their own everyday world.

I think you're right about "studio-live"; I seem to recall the Katrina benefit telecast to have been in a rather intimate TV studio but with no audience.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: one
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2006, 07:41:26 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

they will probably wonder why mary is singing rock music. and, unless "one" has aged like a popular bob marley song, they won't be that into the u2 angle. the song is fifteen years old, after all. still, i'd be interested to hear of the classroom results.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2006, 08:26:52 AM »
New old music: a DVD set of Ricky Nelson's early performances.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/01/16/DDGOSGN8891.DTL

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2006, 08:56:13 AM »
KBCO just played the new Donald Fagen!  the CD is called Morph the Cat, it's out next month.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2006, 09:41:07 AM »
KBCO just played the new Donald Fagen!  the CD is called Morph the Cat, it's out next month.

what did you think? i haven't heard anything yet.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2006, 09:46:11 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

what did you think? i haven't heard anything yet.

It sounds like him -- I couldn't really concentrate on the lyrics.  Will be interesting to see if KFOG plays it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2006, 10:05:06 AM »
prince, anthony hamilton, and sia furler (one of the lovely voices behind zero 7) all set to release new albums. yay!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2006, 09:53:15 PM »
POC: You have any guitar gigs coming up?
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2006, 10:15:44 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
POC: You have any guitar gigs coming up?

funny you should ask - just confirmed a full-band gig:
25.Feb.06
The Argus
3187 Mission @ Valencia
San Francisco, CA
7:00pm

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2006, 12:49:18 PM »
Annalisa just played a song called "Afterglow" by the reinvented INXS.

It actually sounded real nice at first listen, but it definitely did not sound like signature INXS.  If she hadn't tipped it I would have thought it generic but nice KFOG music.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2006, 01:31:15 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

It actually sounded real nice at first listen, but it definitely did not sound like signature INXS.  If she hadn't tipped it I would have thought it generic but nice KFOG music.

There was a discussion of that one last week when Benson the PD came in for New Releases. Apparently they've gotten tons of nasty emails from (mostly older) Fogheads who hate it because the new lead singer was chosen via that reality show.  And Benson defended it because he thinks it's actually a good song.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
"New" Bob Marley
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2006, 02:19:44 PM »
it sounded like Çlapton't "I Shot the Sheriff" at first, then sounded like the real Bob!  I dug it!   I think I'm going to spend $0.99 again!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
New Music!
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2006, 07:10:15 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

There was a discussion of that one last week when Benson the PD came in for New Releases. Apparently they've gotten tons of nasty emails from (mostly older) Fogheads who hate it because the new lead singer was chosen via that reality show.  And Benson defended it because he thinks it's actually a good song.

Maybe they should be reminded that the Monkees were created via a less democratic reality show.  Just because someone's auditioned doesn't mean they can't bring heart to the part.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”