Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415823 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #960 on: May 03, 2008, 08:27:51 AM »
Sharks staying alive (cue BeeGees)
Every game now is win or die. Can hardly wait for them to play at home on Friday.

Keep the Faith, Ali (cue George Michaels).
I have FAITH. Think positive thoughts tonight. I'm off to get the train down to the Tank, too anxious to wait any longer.

GO SHARKS!!!

Things not lookin' good: Sharks down 2-0 after 2 periods. Ali may be crying teal tears.  :'(
Yeah baby. Tears at the end of the game. Pure joy. Lucky I feel good this morning. Ended the night with soda instead of alcohol. Had doubts during the game and couldn't believe the disallowed goals and happy the calls were finally made in the Sharks favor. Pavelski totally rocks. His picture page was the program insert last night. The Versus camera panned by me quickly in the third after Nabby's save, someone called after seeing me on TV. Wish I could go to the Dallas game on Sunday. Hard to believe but I didn't see a single Stars fan last night. Basking in the euphoric joy of the spectacular win. woooo hooooooooooo
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: May 04, 2008, 10:59:46 PM »
Hard Sharks game tonight. Quadruple OT! Two full games already. I'm sleepy.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: May 05, 2008, 07:46:36 AM »

I went to bed after OT3.  A sad, if hard-fought, end.  TANC: The Rangers were also eliminated yesterday, so the 2 teams most pundits predicted to be in the Cup Finals... won't be.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: May 05, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »

I kept checking the score online, but went to sleep as OT #3 was starting.  Too bad.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 05, 2008, 10:16:40 AM »
Dallas v Detroit. hmmmmmmm

No official word on Michalek. Shoulder injury?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 11, 2008, 12:23:35 PM »
The last guy I ever expected to make a comeback, onetime Giants pitcher Sidney Ponson, is now a Texas Ranger -- the A's just slammed him with 4 runs in the first inning. But that's not even the funniest part: behind home plate, somebody's holding up a sign that says "Ponson's Possy" (!)

Jeez, you'd think if there's any word Texans would know how to spell, it's "posse"...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 11, 2008, 03:10:14 PM »
The last guy I ever expected to make a comeback, onetime Giants pitcher Sidney Ponson, is now a Texas Ranger -- the A's just slammed him with 4 runs in the first inning. But that's not even the funniest part: behind home plate, somebody's holding up a sign that says "Ponson's Possy" (!)

Jeez, you'd think if there's any word Texans would know how to spell, it's "posse"...

Speaking of ex-Giants and comebacks, Shawn Estes returned with the Padres and is making his first start in over 2 years on Tuesday.  Significant to me b/c (a) I like the guy, and (b) he's been sitting on 99 wins since late 2005.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 11, 2008, 08:22:17 PM »

Maybe he was trying to spell "pussy"? Either way, bad speller.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 11, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »

Maybe he was trying to spell "pussy"?

Urth, you're in a dirty mood tonite.  Funny, I was going to make a similar joke but figured it was too tacky: like, maybe the sign was being held by a group of Dallas hookers who were indeed "Ponson's..." Altho' given Ponson's reputation...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 12, 2008, 09:58:48 AM »
A's top the Power Rankings this week on ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/powerranking

How have the A's done it, with a low-budget roster of virtual unknowns? Here's how: They have the game's best ERA, they have a plus-43 run differential, they are fourth in the AL in runs scored, they have the game's best road record and they are riding a four-game winning streak. Throw that and more into our statistical vat with the other 29 teams, and you get the Oakland A's as the surprising new leaders in our clubhouse.

(only slightly less astonishing, the Cardinals are 4th)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 14, 2008, 08:56:02 AM »
California's ballparks top the list of stadiums with health code violations. Yum!

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/culture-inc/sports/2008/05/12/Health-Code-Violations-at-Ballparks

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 14, 2008, 12:53:19 PM »

Speaking of ex-Giants and comebacks, Shawn Estes returned with the Padres and is making his first start in over 2 years on Tuesday.  Significant to me b/c (a) I like the guy, and (b) he's been sitting on 99 wins since late 2005.

Gaz, in case you missed it: Shawnie got #100 last nite.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/14/SP7010L5TL.DTL

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 14, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »

Gaz, in case you missed it: Shawnie got #100 last nite.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/05/14/SP7010L5TL.DTL

I'm so happy for him.  It would have been easy to pack it in, but he persevered and made it back.  Good for him.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 14, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
California's ballparks top the list of stadiums with health code violations. Yum!

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/culture-inc/sports/2008/05/12/Health-Code-Violations-at-Ballparks
I'll force myself to personally test some food stuffs at AT&T tomorrow.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 15, 2008, 07:51:01 AM »

I'll force myself to personally test some food stuffs at AT&T tomorrow.

some Zito sticks? or maybe Bengie Molina chorizo? Mmmmm...