Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415830 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #945 on: April 24, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »
Oh, and the A's also picked up Rajai Davis off wavers from the Giants. He was considered a bright light for the G-men for a minute or three late last season.
He'd been traded to the G's by the Pirates for Matt Morris, who's now allowing a run per inning in Pittsburgh and really should quit now.

I saw Smart People last nite -- not great, but filmed in P'burgh (the lead character is a prof at Carnegie Mellon), and someone refers to the city as "the Paris of Western Pennsylvania".

And one more Pittsburgh item -- channel 9 ran an hour long doc on Roberto Clemente the other night that was very good.  Look for the reruns.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 24, 2008, 02:31:27 PM »
Oh, and the A's also picked up Rajai Davis off wavers from the Giants. He was considered a bright light for the G-men for a minute or three late last season.
He'd been traded to the G's by the Pirates for Matt Morris, who's now allowing a run per inning in Pittsburgh and really should quit now.

I saw Smart People last nite -- not great, but filmed in P'burgh (the lead character is a prof at Carnegie Mellon), and someone refers to the city as "the Paris of Western Pennsylvania".

Pittsburgh's in a sorry state.  The town of my birth, McKeesport, hosted Obama recently, and the WaPo's coverage of it upheld every Yinzer stereotype, right down to the person in the Steelers shirt who thinks Obama isn't American.  The racism is if anything overmatched by the anti-intellectualism (imagine how much shit I caught while growing up there just for using big words).  I'd move this to the Right-Wing thread except that many of them still identify as Democrats (though I bet they'll largely go for McCain here, never mind that his idea of not condescending to the working class is sending their children to die in the Middle East).

Pittsburgh does have a gorgeous skyline and some great bridges, though.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 24, 2008, 02:54:20 PM »

Pittsburgh's in a sorry state.  The town of my birth, McKeesport, hosted Obama recently, and the WaPo's coverage of it upheld every Yinzer stereotype, right down to the person in the Steelers shirt who thinks Obama isn't American.  The racism is if anything overmatched by the anti-intellectualism (imagine how much shit I caught while growing up there just for using big words).  I'd move this to the Right-Wing thread except that many of them still identify as Democrats (though I bet they'll largely go for McCain here, never mind that his idea of not condescending to the working class is sending their children to die in the Middle East).

Pittsburgh does have a gorgeous skyline and some great bridges, though.

Do you remember a comedienne named Donna Jean Young? Before your time, perhaps, I remember seeing her on TV in the early '70s. Her whole shtick was being from East McKeesport, PA, which she called the smallest town in America -- "It's so small that..."  Sample joke: "the library had to close early yesterday because somebody took out the book."   
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 27, 2008, 06:20:09 PM »
Another Zito start, another Zito meltdown.  Gave up 7 runs in the first 2 innings, from what I saw. Yikes.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 27, 2008, 10:44:11 PM »
Sharks bombed out. Stars stole the show, 5-2. Awful, awful game. At least the giveaway was a cool t-shirt. Better than a towel or pom poms. I hope they come to life in Dallas and win two.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 28, 2008, 07:48:43 AM »
Sharks bombed out. Stars stole the show, 5-2. Awful, awful game. At least the giveaway was a cool t-shirt. Better than a towel or pom poms. I hope they come to life in Dallas and win two.

They showed the shirts on TV -- very cool. Too bad about the game.  :'(

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:15 PM »
Roger Clemens... pedophile?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/04/28/sports/s080959D84.DTL&tsp=1

This could get interesting.  If something really went on, he's one dumb sonofabitch.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 28, 2008, 09:24:58 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/04/28/sports/s080959D84.DTL&tsp=1

This could get interesting.  If something really went on, he's one dumb sonofabitch.

McCready is what the kids today call a Hot Mess.  Not that I'm defending Roger, but I wouldn't necessarily believe what she says at this point; she's had a lot of issues in recent years with drugs, alcohol, boyfriends, and the law, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was lured into this drama with the promise of a few bucks.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 29, 2008, 07:50:13 AM »

McCready is what the kids today call a Hot Mess.  Not that I'm defending Roger, but I wouldn't necessarily believe what she says at this point; she's had a lot of issues in recent years with drugs, alcohol, boyfriends, and the law, and I wouldn't be surprised if she was lured into this drama with the promise of a few bucks.

Well, that's certainly possible. She was also engaged to Dean Cain -- they suddenly announced their betrothing right after the internet was awash in rumors that he was gay, then quietly broke up a year later. Hrm.  What's funny is Clemens admits he knew her and had a "relationship", but denied there was any sex before she turned 18. ::)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: May 01, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »
Sharks staying alive (cue BeeGees)
Every game now is win or die. Can hardly wait for them to play at home on Friday.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 01, 2008, 10:10:45 AM »
Every game now is win or die. Can hardly wait for them to play at home on Friday.

Keep the Faith, Ali (cue George Michaels).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: May 02, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

I have FAITH. Think positive thoughts tonight. I'm off to get the train down to the Tank, too anxious to wait any longer.
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: May 02, 2008, 05:32:34 PM »

I have FAITH. Think positive thoughts tonight. I'm off to get the train down to the Tank, too anxious to wait any longer.

GO SHARKS!!!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: May 02, 2008, 08:45:21 PM »

GO SHARKS!!!

Things not lookin' good: Sharks down 2-0 after 2 periods. Ali may be crying teal tears.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 08:51:27 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: May 02, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »

GO SHARKS!!!

Things not lookin' good: Sharks down 2-0 after 2 periods. Ali may be crying teal tears.  :'(

OMFG!!! they tied it up in the 3rd and win it just 65 seconds into OT!  Joe Pavelski ROOOLS!  Back to Dallas on Sunday.  Ali must be breathless right now!