Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415767 times)

John@10

• View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #840 on: January 31, 2008, 12:29:43 AM »
Anyone else noticed all the commercials for "The Big Game" playing this year? Got your potato chips for The Big Game? Got your tires rotated before The Big Game? The only one calling it the Super Bowl is Samsung, official HD TV for the NFL. I figure they are just cracking down on their trademark and wanting money to utter the S word. I don't know how long this has been going on - perhaps I've been asleep the last several Januaries? - but this is the first year it's really stood out to me in the advertising.

//John
Wondering if the world has enough bean dip for The Big Game
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains. Think about that for a while."
--- Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: January 31, 2008, 07:46:18 AM »
Anyone else noticed all the commercials for "The Big Game" playing this year? Got your potato chips for The Big Game? Got your tires rotated before The Big Game? The only one calling it the Super Bowl is Samsung, official HD TV for the NFL. I figure they are just cracking down on their trademark and wanting money to utter the S word. I don't know how long this has been going on - perhaps I've been asleep the last several Januaries? - but this is the first year it's really stood out to me in the advertising.

//John
Wondering if the world has enough bean dip for The Big Game

Actually that's been going on for years. If you're an "official partner" of the NFL (i.e., if you pay for the privilege) then you can say "Super Bowl". If not, it's euphemism time.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: February 03, 2008, 07:09:46 PM »
Well, the Giants pulled it off -- ruining The Pat's perfect season, 17-14.  Not a terribly good game until the final quarter.  Best commercial: Stewie vs. Underdog.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: February 03, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »
Well, the Giants pulled it off -- ruining The Pat's perfect season, 17-14.  Not a terribly good game until the final quarter.  Best commercial: Stewie vs. Underdog.

Stunned by the ending.  And yeah, that was the only commercial that was at all memorable.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #844 on: February 03, 2008, 09:21:57 PM »

I thought the game was a good defensive battle. I enjoyed it. I didn't watch any of the commercials. I flipped around the dial through every single one of them.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: February 03, 2008, 11:14:58 PM »

I thought the game was a good defensive battle. I enjoyed it. I didn't watch any of the commercials. I flipped around the dial through every single one of them.

I only caught the last two minutes or so (on the game clock). Good for the Giants--they really came on when it mattered this season. But I missed nearly all the commercials. Thank dog for YouTube.

(I'd been wondering if I should switch my pool pick to the Giants, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Oh well--20-20 hindsight.)
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #846 on: February 04, 2008, 12:18:10 AM »

I only caught the last two minutes or so (on the game clock). Good for the Giants--they really came on when it mattered this season. But I missed nearly all the commercials. Thank dog for YouTube.

(I'd been wondering if I should switch my pool pick to the Giants, but just couldn't pull the trigger. Oh well--20-20 hindsight.)

Every commercial is being archived on My Space. FOX was promoing it all game.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: February 04, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
Well, the Giants pulled it off -- ruining The Pat's perfect season, 17-14. 

as I wrote on the Football Pool thread:

Here's an intersting bit of historical perspective: This marks the 12th time that two teams that met during the regular season eventually squared off in the Super Bowl.  Of the previous 11 cases, 4 times the regular season meeting was decided by 8 pts or more, and in each case the winner also won the Super Bowl, usually in a blowout.  In the 7 cases where the regular season game was decided by 7 pts or less, the losing team came back to win the Super Bowl 6 out of 7 times (including NE's first SB upset of the mighty Rams). 

Maybe it's a bonafide trend?  In any case it is pretty good Karma, now the Pats fans know how the Rams fans felt in 2002.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 10:09:24 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: February 04, 2008, 12:42:25 PM »
Have you heard the Giants promo for fanfest?  Annoying little add asking "are you a gamer?"  I hope to dog they come up with something better than that to promote the season...

We're not very good, but we're scrappy!

Are you a Gomer?
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: February 04, 2008, 01:26:25 PM »
Have you heard the Giants promo for fanfest?  Annoying little add asking "are you a gamer?"  I hope to dog they come up with something better than that to promote the season...

Are you a Gomer?

Wow, the Giants have a slogan again--a sure sign of how their ticket sales are going. For the first few years at Mays Field, they didn't even bother with one.

Reminds me of some of their ad campaigns during the rebuilding period in the late 80s:

"Ya gotta like these kids."

"I feel good." (with the James Brown tune I Got You as backing)

"It's gonna be fun." (Because, of course, the likelihood of seeing good baseball was not that high.)
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: February 04, 2008, 11:55:08 PM »

Are you a Gomer?

"O Mary, Don't You Weep No More"
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: February 08, 2008, 02:28:15 PM »
49ers celebrate another shoddy season by jacking up ticket prices:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/08/SPHIUUNCE.DTL

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: February 08, 2008, 04:37:37 PM »
49ers celebrate another shoddy season by jacking up ticket prices:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/08/SPHIUUNCE.DTL

And their reasoning is "well, we're still charging less than most other teams."

And they also lose more games than most other teams.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: February 08, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
The SHARKS were not losers tonight and scrappy was the name of the game. Lots of scuffles and a bonafide fight. Nabby was in top form and player of the game. Lotsa action in both goals.
JR is my hero. During the pregame skate, he tossed each of my little cats a puck and I'm certain his wink was to me. We had a "poster" of him, same as my avatar, and I think he was appreciative.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: February 09, 2008, 11:47:57 AM »
The SHARKS were not losers tonight and scrappy was the name of the game. Lots of scuffles and a bonafide fight. Nabby was in top form and player of the game. Lotsa action in both goals.
JR is my hero. During the pregame skate, he tossed each of my little cats a puck and I'm certain his wink was to me. We had a "poster" of him, same as my avatar, and I think he was appreciative.

Exciting finish! Let's make it 2-in-a-row tonite!