Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415716 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #825 on: January 08, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »
The Goose is loose: Gossage elected to Basebal HOF:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/08/sports/s110411S62.DTL&tsp=1&type=sports

But still no love for McGwire. Messrs Bonds and Clemens take note.

Well, I don't think McGwire would have been a hof player without the 'roids.  Skinny Bonds probably would have made it anyway.  I hope the voters remember that when Bonds is eligible.  But they may not.

Good for Goose, though. 

I don't think McGwire was a HOF even if you don't take into consideration he took juice. I thought Rice and Dawson should of gone in with Gossage.

There was a time that 500 homers got you in the hall (see Eddie Murray -- though he had 3000+ hits, too).  So, 'roided up, McGwire would be in, based on that criteria.  McGwire's measley hit total (1626, according to wikipedia) certainly doesn't impress, of course.  Dave Kingman almost had that many.  In fact, that's who McGwire most reminds me of, and Kingman's certainly no hall of famer.

Okay, enough killing time, I really ought to be working....
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 09, 2008, 08:57:58 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/index?blogid=45

Mike Martz comes riding in to the Niners rescue!  Here's a c'n'p of a post a Niners fan made on a football website I frequent:

When I first heard this I was shocked and a little annoyed but now I’ve had a think about it and this doesn’t seem like the worst hire ever anymore.

Pros:
-the niners were 32nd in the league offensively this year, the only way is up and Martz has a long pedigree as a top notch coordinator.
-I reckon he’ll probably run a hybrid of his St Louis system and the Kansas system that Vermeil and Saunders set up. I like the idea of getting Davis downfield.
-Staley will move to left tackle, and either Jennings or Snyder will play RT, eith the other guy at left guard. Baas looked pretty decent at RG down the stretch and Heitman is a reasonable center. So I’m not that worried about the offensive line.
-Martz has a superb record with quarterbacks, he might get something useful out of Smith and his three receiver system is similar to the attack Smith ran in college.

Cons:
-Martz’s system requires a qb with a quick release, that’s the worst part of Smith’s game
-He might ignore Gore
-He might ignore Vernon Davis
-He might get Smith killed
-No more Cinncinati offense in SF (sniff sniff)
-He might be insane
-His system uses a lot of three receiver packages, so San Francisco needs to acquire three receivers

Some other wag replied that Con #4 should be a Pro!

"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 09, 2008, 09:27:44 AM »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 16, 2008, 10:07:22 AM »
I just went to the Apple store and it's "offline". Something new getting introed at MacWorld today?

Ali, that was quite the come-from-behind Sharks game you were at Sat nite -- watched on TV and was just floored. Too bad they couldn't hold on Sunday against the Duckies. Hope they can do well when I go this week -- Red Wings are red hot.
Brought this over to Sports. It was a great game and a very good time was had! I took pics again but have not had time to review them. I was in 103 so Toskala was right in front of me. I sat next to two Leaf fans who were on a California vacation following the Leafs and this was game 3 of 3 before they went to SF on Sunday and then back home. Don't think they got to see a winning game.
I don't go again until February, the Preds I think.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 16, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
Somehow this escaped my attention until now (apparently Big Rick posted it on his blog, like, a year-and-a-half ago!) but hey, it's still newsworthy:

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 17, 2008, 11:34:59 PM »
Huston, we have a one-year deal:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/17/SP9VUHCDI.DTL

(I'm pleasantly surprised.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 24, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »
From today's Chron:

"Kevin Frandsen is so pumped about his new, more muscular physique, he greeted a reporter Wednesday by yanking off his shirt to flaunt his concrete biceps."

uh... paging Senator Mitchell!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 28, 2008, 05:54:31 PM »
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 28, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »
Feliz is a Phillie.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/28/sports/s142514S82.DTL&tsp=1

My roommate, a huge Phillies fan, is moderately excited about this.  I am meh.  I would have rather gotten Rolen before he became a Blue Jay.  Or Russell Branyan just for the athletic aesthetic.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 29, 2008, 03:12:59 PM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 30, 2008, 09:36:38 AM »
Another timely football joke:

Three quarterbacks go to heaven.  God greets them and says to the first, "Peyton Manning, what do you believe?"

Peyton replies, "I believe in family and friendship, loyalty and dedication.  I know that I have been very fortunate in my life, so I have always tried to give my all for the fans."

God nods and says, "Come in my son and sit here beside me."  Then he says, "Brett Favre, what do you believe?"

Brett answers, "I believe in hard work, courage in the face of adversity and teamwork.  I know that I, too, have been lucky in my life, so I have always tried to respect my opponents."

God nods and says, "Come in my son and sit here beside me."  Then he says, "Tom Brady, what do you believe?"

Tom Brady says, "I believe you are in my seat."

Renee played a recording this morning of a foghead who called in yesterday and told them this joke, pretty much word for word. I assume that would be yourself, Mister Shray?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 30, 2008, 09:46:42 AM »
Yes that was me, they didn't play it until today when Ann Killian came in.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 30, 2008, 04:34:54 PM »

I read that as Ann Jillian.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: January 30, 2008, 09:41:56 PM »

I read that as Ann Jillian.

Oy.

Ann Killian still has both her boobs.