Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415842 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #810 on: January 03, 2008, 12:12:32 PM »
Holee Crap! The A's have traded Nick Swisher to the White Sox!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/03/SP81U8RB6.DTL&tsp=1

rebuilding? or demolishing?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 04, 2008, 10:21:27 AM »
My mom and dad brought a good sports joke with them from KC, but it requires a bit of background.  So, did anyone perchance see any of the Orange Bowl last night, or any coverage of the Kansas Jayhawks great football season this year?  Their coach, Mark Mangino is the winner of many Coach of the Year awards, and he is also damn near the most obese person you have ever seen in ANY sports context.  Kansas Univ. is located 40 miles west of KC, and one of the main interestates through KC is I-35, which has it's share of spur highways, including I-435.  So the joke goes...

Coach Mangino is on a recruiting trip to KC and gets off the freeway in an unfamiliar part of town and gets lost.  He finally pulls into a McDonald's and asks the girl behind the counter, "Excuse me, can you tell me how to get back down to 435?"

The girl replies, "Well, you might want to start with a salad."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 04, 2008, 10:35:47 AM »
My mom and dad brought a good sports joke with them from KC, but it requires a bit of background.  So, did anyone perchance see any of the Orange Bowl last night, or any coverage of the Kansas Jayhawks great football season this year?  Their coach, Mark Mangino is the winner of many Coach of the Year awards, and he is also damn near the most obese person you have ever seen in ANY sports context.  Kansas Univ. is located 40 miles west of KC, and one of the main interestates through KC is I-35, which has it's share of spur highways, including I-435.  So the joke goes...

Coach Mangino is on a recruiting trip to KC and gets off the freeway in an unfamiliar part of town and gets lost.  He finally pulls into a McDonald's and asks the girl behind the counter, "Excuse me, can you tell me how to get back down to 435?"

The girl replies, "Well, you might want to start with a salad."

perhaps a visual would help:

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 04, 2008, 11:00:24 AM »
Another timely football joke:

Three quarterbacks go to heaven.  God greets them and says to the first, "Peyton Manning, what do you believe?"

Peyton replies, "I believe in family and friendship, loyalty and dedication.  I know that I have been very fortunate in my life, so I have always tried to give my all for the fans."

God nods and says, "Come in my son and sit here beside me."  Then he says, "Brett Favre, what do you believe?"

Brett answers, "I believe in hard work, courage in the face of adversity and teamwork.  I know that I, too, have been lucky in my life, so I have always tried to respect my opponents."

God nods and says, "Come in my son and sit here beside me."  Then he says, "Tom Brady, what do you believe?"

Tom Brady says, "I believe you are in my seat."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 04, 2008, 11:09:16 AM »

Three quarterbacks go to heaven.  God greets them and says to the first, "Peyton Manning, what do you believe?"

Peyton replies, "I believe in family and friendship, loyalty and dedication.  I know that I have been very fortunate in my life, so I have always tried to give my all for the fans."

God nods and says, "Come in my son and sit here beside me."  Then he says, "Brett Favre, what do you believe?"

Brett answers, "I believe in hard work, courage in the face of adversity and teamwork.  I know that I, too, have been lucky in my life, so I have always tried to respect my opponents."

God nods and says, "Come in my son and sit here beside me."  Then he says, "Tom Brady, what do you believe?"

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Great stuff!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 04, 2008, 11:40:59 AM »
Their coach, Mark Mangino is the winner of many Coach of the Year awards, and he is also damn near the most obese person you have ever seen in ANY sports context. 

Yep, saw him when I was watching the Kansas-Missou game a month or so back. Couldn't believe he was their coach. He's a big 'un, alright.
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #816 on: January 04, 2008, 11:28:32 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!  Great stuff!

Strange thing is, he probably believes it. Brady changed a lot since his days as a humble kid from San Mateo.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 06, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
Mike: I sent you an email to RG addy to view pics I took at the Sharks game last night. I had my "big" camera and sat at the glass in row 1. What a treat. I think you'll be at the Maple Leafs next weekend and so will I. Let me know if you want copies of any of the pics. If anyone else wants to see them, let me know and I'll send a link. Lots of hot hockey boys and some cool action shots.

Each game Round Table sponsors Mascot Sharkie to deliver a pizza to a random section. He came down my aisle and I got a slice of pizza. Very low odds of that ever happening so it was a blast.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 02:33:52 PM by Alicat »
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 06, 2008, 09:02:04 PM »
Mike: I sent you an email to RG addy to view pics I took at the Sharks game last night. I had my "big" camera and sat at the glass in row 1. What a treat. I think you'll be at the Maple Leafs next weekend and so will I. Let me know if you want copies of any of the pics. If anyone else wants to see them, let me know and I'll send a link. Lots of hot hockey boys and some cool action shots.

Each game Round Table sponsors Mascot Sharkie to deliver a pizza to a random section. He came down my aisle and I got a slice of pizza. Very low odds of that ever happening so it was a blast.

Ali, please send the link again, I either didn't get the email or deleted it without realizing it. Thanks! 

I watched the game on TV; Drew Remenda was talking about not wearing any underwear! Must've been chilly down there by the ice...

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 07, 2008, 02:48:41 PM »

Ali, please send the link again, I either didn't get the email or deleted it without realizing it. Thanks! 

I watched the game on TV; Drew Remenda was talking about not wearing any underwear! Must've been chilly down there by the ice...
Resent. Do tell about Remenda w/o undies. What was he talking about that for!?
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: January 07, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »

Resent. Do tell about Remenda w/o undies. What was he talking about that for!?

I kinda caught the tail end; Randy had been discussing the topic with players, maybe? then Drew said "I'm going 'commando' tonite" (!)  FYI, I'm not at Maple Leafs Saturday; I'm going to the Detroit game the following week.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 08, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »
Wicked. Maybe commando for the Sat nite game would be fun. Nah. Too much like the nasty Ms. Spears.

Sure wish I could hear a replay of that conversation.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 08, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
The Goose is loose: Gossage elected to Basebal HOF:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/08/sports/s110411S62.DTL&tsp=1&type=sports

But still no love for McGwire. Messrs Bonds and Clemens take note.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 08, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/08/sports/s110411S62.DTL&tsp=1&type=sports

Well, I don't think McGwire would have been a hof player without the 'roids.  Skinny Bonds probably would have made it anyway.  I hope the voters remember that when Bonds is eligible.  But they may not.

Good for Goose, though. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

SFGuy

« Reply #824 on: January 08, 2008, 04:55:09 PM »

Well, I don't think McGwire would have been a hof player without the 'roids.  Skinny Bonds probably would have made it anyway.  I hope the voters remember that when Bonds is eligible.  But they may not.

Good for Goose, though. 

I don't think McGwire was a HOF even if you don't take into consideration he took juice. I thought Rice and Dawson should of gone in with Gossage.