Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 416256 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1620 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:50 AM »
I mentioned this on FB but I take great pleasure in repeating that Tim "Village Idiot" McCarver predicted a low-scoring game, and it's now 10-4 SF in the 8th.

This afternoon I was looking at ESPN's Series predictions page; nearly 30 of their seemingly infinite supply of pundits weighed in, and more than 3/4  picked Texas.  More than one guy said Texas would win because they have Cliff Lee and that he would win both of his games. Well, that forecast needs rethinking...

On the ESPN pregame, Joe Morgan was saying that for SF to win the series, they'd have to beat Lee at least one of the two times they'd face him. Mission accomplished. Next?

In other news, through the good graces of an old friend and Southwest Airlines, a ticket to Game 2 and a plane ticket have both fortuitously appeared so it looks like I'll be making a quick trip to SF tomorrow, returning to PDX on Friday. Anyone else going? Pray there's no rainout. GO GIANTS!!!!

nice!  JEALOUS!!   Have a great time.
~CPL593H~

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1621 on: October 28, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
I mentioned this on FB but I take great pleasure in repeating that Tim "Village Idiot" McCarver predicted a low-scoring game, and it's now 10-4 SF in the 8th.

This afternoon I was looking at ESPN's Series predictions page; nearly 30 of their seemingly infinite supply of pundits weighed in, and more than 3/4  picked Texas.  More than one guy said Texas would win because they have Cliff Lee and that he would win both of his games. Well, that forecast needs rethinking...

On the ESPN pregame, Joe Morgan was saying that for SF to win the series, they'd have to beat Lee at least one of the two times they'd face him. Mission accomplished. Next?

In other news, through the good graces of an old friend and Southwest Airlines, a ticket to Game 2 and a plane ticket have both fortuitously appeared so it looks like I'll be making a quick trip to SF tomorrow, returning to PDX on Friday. Anyone else going? Pray there's no rainout. GO GIANTS!!!!

nice!  JEALOUS!!   Have a great time.
Holy crap!  Hope you're having a great time!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: October 28, 2010, 08:25:56 PM »
Line of the Nite, posted by a FB-friend: "Texas: the Blown Star State"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: October 28, 2010, 08:38:07 PM »
But not all the Giants news is good -- Guillen (not on the postseason roster) linked to drug investigation:

http://www.ktvu.com/sports/25558560/detail.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: October 28, 2010, 08:49:37 PM »
Line of the Nite, posted by a FB-friend: "Texas: the Blown Star State"

even better (and pretty quick work): someone outside the ballpark already has a sign with Chuck Norris wearing an SF-logo cowboy hat with the caption: "Walk 'Em, Texas Ranger". Genius.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: October 28, 2010, 08:59:47 PM »
no wonder the Rangers suck: check out their "walk-up" music. Josh Hamilton loves him some Christian rock. Gag me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utMMebum8kE&feature=player_embedded

SFGuy

« Reply #1626 on: October 29, 2010, 02:04:17 AM »
One of your "favorites", Mike, Steve Perry was in attendance for the first two games of the World Series.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: October 29, 2010, 07:19:26 AM »
One of your "favorites", Mike, Steve Perry was in attendance for the first two games of the World Series.

Actuallly, I woulda preferred "Don't Stop Believin' " to "Gawd Bless America" ;)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: October 29, 2010, 08:06:07 AM »
no wonder the Rangers suck: check out their "walk-up" music. Josh Hamilton loves him some Christian rock. Gag me.

I then saw a story that Josh Hamilton was complaining about smelling "weed" inside AT&T Park during the game, and his delicate Christian sensibilities were offended, apparently. Bite me, dude.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: October 29, 2010, 09:16:59 AM »

Actuallly, I woulda preferred "Don't Stop Believin' " to "Gawd Bless America" ;)

I didn't much like the singer from last night.  Very grateful for her service (she was Army, I belive), but she was too American Idol for me.  she's no Tony Bennett. 

They showed Gretzky in attendance last night and Joe Montana was there the first night. 
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: October 29, 2010, 09:18:19 AM »

I then saw a story that Josh Hamilton was complaining about smelling "weed" inside AT&T Park during the game, and his delicate Christian sensibilities were offended, apparently. Bite me, dude.

maybe not when he's up to bat, but probably when he's in CF.   hehe hehe those bleacher bums really know how to party.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: October 29, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »

I didn't much like the singer from last night.  Very grateful for her service (she was Army, I belive), but she was too American Idol for me.  she's no Tony Bennett. 

Having Tony B was a no-brainer, obviously, but clearly FOX chooses most of the performers. Kelly Clarkson reinforces the "Idol" brand by doing the Anthem tomo'w nite. And I thought having Lady Antebellum made no sense in SF, but then I saw they they're at HP Pavilion tonite; so Fox got a name country act without having to pay travel expenses.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: October 29, 2010, 10:38:06 AM »
Many of you are doubtlessly aware of the Jack/Joe Buck connection to St. Louis, so next time you hear Joe when he signs off after each game, he's gonna thank Steve Horn - who is basically a human stat almanac - and who lived downstairs from me in our 3 story brownstone for about 7 years.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: October 29, 2010, 10:48:26 AM »
And I thought having Lady Antebellum made no sense in SF, but then I saw they they're at HP Pavilion tonite; so Fox got a name country act without having to pay travel expenses.
Lady Antebellum played the FOX in Oakland last night, leaving AT&T Park shortly after singing the Nat'l Anthem.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: October 29, 2010, 10:57:28 AM »
Girls cat-fight after last night's game: Giant brawl at McDonald's near AT&T Park (video)
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/abraham/detail?entry_id=75785&tsp=1