Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415702 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1605 on: October 23, 2010, 09:10:03 PM »
For those watching FOX, switch to Comcast SportsNet (channel 40) -- Kruk & Kuip are celebrating in SF.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: October 24, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
So, did the Raiders suddenly wake up? or does Denver really suck that bad?

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: October 24, 2010, 06:04:03 PM »
When "your team" loses a big game, series, whatever, some fans will look at one single moment as The Thing That Went Wrong That Blew It For Us.  Some Phillies fans see Ryan Howard looking at a called third strike to end last night's game as that thing.  Well, lots of things go this way or that in baseball, so blaming one thing or finding one moment where it went bad is just not constructive.  Nevertheless, I like this commenter's take:

CaliPhan:
What do Carlton Fisk, Ozzie Smith, Matt Stairs, Kirk Gibson, the dude that hit when Sid Slid, Bucky Dent, the Gonzales dude from Arizona, Joe Carter, Bobby Thompson, Kirby Puckett and Matsui all have in common? They SWUNG when they knew the pitcher had to throw a strike!!!.....What moment was Ryan hoping for "The Walk Heard Around The World that Set Up Werth to be A Hero"? Come on Man! You gotta believe in yourself, when you are that gifted.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/phillies/20101023_Giants_beat_Phils_to_win_NL_title.html?viewAll=Y&text=#comments
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: October 25, 2010, 12:45:27 PM »
even if you don't care much about the World Series or Giants baseball, a Giants pitcher earlier this season showed he has a great and UNUSUAL sense of humor, when he unveiled something that is now known as 'The Machine.'  (And if you watched game 6, and heard the interview w Brian Wilson afterward where there was mention of 'The Machine' but it wasn't fully explained.  It was called an inside joke by Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, who are jokes themselves...  snap!)

it appears at about the 40 second mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrkSElfm7Lk
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: October 25, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
even if you don't care much about the World Series or Giants baseball, a Giants pitcher earlier this season showed he has a great and UNUSUAL sense of humor, when he unveiled something that is now known as 'The Machine.'  (And if you watched game 6, and heard the interview w Brian Wilson afterward where there was mention of 'The Machine' but it wasn't fully explained.  It was called an inside joke by Joe Buck and Tim McCarver, who are jokes themselves...  snap!)

it appears at about the 40 second mark:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrkSElfm7Lk

love that -- and may I say again that Chris Rose is a tool.

BTW, I haven't seen anyone mention that earlier this year the Powell St BART platform was re-painted... in Giants colors. Coincidence?

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: October 25, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »
BTW, I haven't seen anyone mention that earlier this year the Powell St BART platform was re-painted... in Giants colors. Coincidence?
TNAC, I also noticed that a week or two ago!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: October 25, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
Something to consider as Texas comes to SF: Giants have never lost to Texas at AT&T Park (AP)
Not only have the Texas Rangers never been to the World Series before, they are winless in nine games at AT&T Park. And make that an 11-game losing streak in SF dating back to the Giants' former home of Candlestick Park.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101025/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_world_series

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: October 26, 2010, 12:21:24 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: October 27, 2010, 10:45:24 AM »
great comment on the Series and TV ratings from sfgate's Giants blog:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=75590

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: October 27, 2010, 08:16:33 PM »
I mentioned this on FB but I take great pleasure in repeating that Tim "Village Idiot" McCarver predicted a low-scoring game, and it's now 10-4 SF in the 8th.

This afternoon I was looking at ESPN's Series predictions page; nearly 30 of their seemingly infinite supply of pundits weighed in, and more than 3/4  picked Texas.  More than one guy said Texas would win because they have Cliff Lee and that he would win both of his games. Well, that forecast needs rethinking...

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: October 27, 2010, 10:54:12 PM »
I mentioned this on FB but I take great pleasure in repeating that Tim "Village Idiot" McCarver predicted a low-scoring game, and it's now 10-4 SF in the 8th.

This afternoon I was looking at ESPN's Series predictions page; nearly 30 of their seemingly infinite supply of pundits weighed in, and more than 3/4  picked Texas.  More than one guy said Texas would win because they have Cliff Lee and that he would win both of his games. Well, that forecast needs rethinking...

On the ESPN pregame, Joe Morgan was saying that for SF to win the series, they'd have to beat Lee at least one of the two times they'd face him. Mission accomplished. Next?

In other news, through the good graces of an old friend and Southwest Airlines, a ticket to Game 2 and a plane ticket have both fortuitously appeared so it looks like I'll be making a quick trip to SF tomorrow, returning to PDX on Friday. Anyone else going? Pray there's no rainout. GO GIANTS!!!!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:57:27 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: October 28, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »
through the good graces of an old friend and Southwest Airlines, a ticket to Game 2 and a plane ticket have both fortuitously appeared so it looks like I'll be making a quick trip to SF tomorrow, returning to PDX on Friday. Anyone else going? Pray there's no rainout. GO GIANTS!!!!

woo hoo! Good on ya, bub!  Bring a poncho -- some showers predicted, not enuf for a rainout but it could get damp.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: October 28, 2010, 08:24:23 AM »
I watched the game at Lefty O'Doul's on Geary at Powell.  In the second half of this CBS-5 TV report from last night's 11pm news, I'm sitting right next to the table with the Texas fans that are interviewed.  Our table engaged them in good-natured ribbing all night.  Unfortunately I'm just off camera, sitting next to the cameraman, but at the end you see a bit of my Gigantes cap at bottom of screen:
http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/category/watch-listen/video-on-demand/?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=5237555&flvUri=&partnerclipid=

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: October 28, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »