Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415801 times)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1380 on: November 16, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
What the Puck?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Boy-Struck-By-Flying-Puck-at-Sharks-Game.html

watch out, Alicat!
It happens. There are warnings about it and you just have to be aware and know where the puck is being played. Kinda like getting beaned by a ball at a baseball game. You bloody well deserve the pain if you're not paying attention.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: November 18, 2009, 09:59:12 PM »
Cy Young winners are announced tomorrow. Will the NL winner be Carpenter...
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPVT1AM41R.DTL&tsp=1

Or Lincecum?
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPAG1AMRID.DTL

We'll find out at 11am tomorrow.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: November 19, 2009, 10:03:36 AM »
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/11/18/SPVT1AM41R.DTL&tsp=1

Or Lincecum?

I think it'll be Wainwright.  Cy Young voters are still not hip to all the Sabermetric stuff, and Wainwright led the league in wins and was top 5 in most every other meaningful category.  Plus he was robbed of his 20th win in Shakespearian tragedy fashion (and nearly as bad in his playoff appearance) while neither Tim L. nor Chris C. did anything nearly as memorable in their final starts.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: November 19, 2009, 11:17:34 AM »

Or Lincecum?

I think it'll be Wainwright.  Cy Young voters are still not hip to all the Sabermetric stuff, and Wainwright led the league in wins and was top 5 in most every other meaningful category.  Plus he was robbed of his 20th win in Shakespearian tragedy fashion (and nearly as bad in his playoff appearance) while neither Tim L. nor Chris C. did anything nearly as memorable in their final starts.

Whaddaya know? Lincecum and his bong win the Cy Young for the second straight year. But it was close--Lincecum got 100 points, Carpenter had 94, and Wainwright got 90, so it sounds like having two Cards pitchers in the race worked against both of them and split the St. Louis vote.

Bet Timmy's out burning a fatty right now to celebrate!

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=51984&tsp=1

ETA: Just read that through a second time and realized that Wainwright got the most first-place votes (12 to Lincecum's 11 and Carpenter's 9) but still came in third in the final tally. Go figure. There's bound to be a lot of analysis and kvetching about this one.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:21:28 AM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: November 19, 2009, 11:36:14 AM »

...There's bound to be a lot of analysis and kvetching about this one.

To paraphrase the old adage: Chicks love the K.  If TL lives up to his billing and has a HoF career, no kvetching from this Cards fan.  But if he burns out & either AW or CC have better later careers, look out...this might be considered one of the worst in history.  In retrospect, these awards are always judged by how the primary protaganists do subsequently.  (cf. ARod v. JuanGon, Pujols v. Bonds)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 11:45:00 AM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: November 19, 2009, 12:07:37 PM »

...There's bound to be a lot of analysis and kvetching about this one.

To paraphrase the old adage: Chicks love the K.  If TL lives up to his billing and has a HoF career, no kvetching from this Cards fan.  But if he burns out & either AW or CC have better later careers, look out...this might be considered one of the worst in history.  In retrospect, these awards are always judged by how the primary protaganists do subsequently.  (cf. ARod v. JuanGon, Pujols v. Bonds)

Not to mention Barry Z ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: November 19, 2009, 02:16:20 PM »

I'm blanking, so refesh my memory.  Who did Zito edge out that in retrospect shoulda won?

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: November 19, 2009, 02:18:58 PM »

I'm blanking, so refesh my memory.  Who did Zito edge out that in retrospect shoulda won?

No, I just meant that he won and hasn't had as good a year since -- the words " burn out" have certainly been tossed around.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: November 24, 2009, 01:23:34 PM »
2009 AL MVP: Joe Mauer

2009 NL MVP: Albert Pujols

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: November 27, 2009, 12:32:29 PM »
Circumstances sound quite odd: very late at night, alone, leaving driveway of his home, crashing off fire hydrant and tree, yet no alcohol involved.  Was he going to 7-11?  "Sleep-driving"?
Tiger Woods seriously hurt in crash
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/27/national/a114827S73.DTL&tsp=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: December 03, 2009, 01:21:00 PM »
Circumstances sound quite odd: very late at night, alone, leaving driveway of his home, crashing off fire hydrant and tree, yet no alcohol involved.  Was he going to 7-11?  "Sleep-driving"?
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/11/27/national/a114827S73.DTL&tsp=1

well, now that this story has played itself out, my 2 cents:

In my book, infidelity is only news if it’s committed by someone who makes a living condemning other people’s lifestyles (Ted Haggard, John Ensign, etc). But cheating itself is commonplace. Men are not monogamous creatures. Men cheat. Rich, famous men simply have more/better opportunities to do so.

Tiger’s wife is a beautiful blonde model who married a millionaire celebrity; she knows how this game is played. (And don't try to tell me his gazillions were not a factor when she found herself "in love" with him. Sorry, I'm  a major cynic.) She’s not angry because he cheated; she’s angry because he was stupid and indiscreet — she’s now publicly humiliated, and he’ll pay for that. Tiger could’ve cheated much further up the food chain; if he had we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But no: he f—ed bimbo cocktail waitresses who were all too happy to tell their story to TMZ. In that sense, he’s an idiot, but he’s hardly unique.

SFGuy

« Reply #1391 on: December 04, 2009, 01:20:02 AM »
Circumstances sound quite odd: very late at night, alone, leaving driveway of his home, crashing off fire hydrant and tree, yet no alcohol involved.  Was he going to 7-11?  "Sleep-driving"?

well, now that this story has played itself out, my 2 cents:

In my book, infidelity is only news if it’s committed by someone who makes a living condemning other people’s lifestyles (Ted Haggard, John Ensign, etc). But cheating itself is commonplace. Men are not monogamous creatures. Men cheat. Rich, famous men simply have more/better opportunities to do so.

Tiger’s wife is a beautiful blonde model who married a millionaire celebrity; she knows how this game is played. (And don't try to tell me his gazillions were not a factor when she found herself "in love" with him. Sorry, I'm  a major cynic.) She’s not angry because he cheated; she’s angry because he was stupid and indiscreet — she’s now publicly humiliated, and he’ll pay for that. Tiger could’ve cheated much further up the food chain; if he had we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But no: he f—ed bimbo cocktail waitresses who were all too happy to tell their story to TMZ. In that sense, he’s an idiot, but he’s hardly unique.

It's not news that an athlete cheated on his wife with another woman. It would be if he had cheated on his wife with a man.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: December 04, 2009, 10:29:26 AM »
The World Cup draw is just coming out, USA is in Group C, with England, Algeria & Slovenia.  Not the Group of Death this time around, which included either USA or England for the last few go rounds.  We shouldbe favored to come out of this group I think.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 04, 2009, 11:24:12 AM »
The World Cup draw is just coming out, USA is in Group C, with England, Algeria & Slovenia.  Not the Group of Death this time around, which included either USA or England for the last few go rounds.  We shouldbe favored to come out of this group I think.

I think so, too.  I think the yobbos from England will come out on top in this group and US second. However, Slovenia beat Russia recently, so it's not a guarantee.

USA! USA!
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: December 07, 2009, 11:43:11 PM »
Did anyone watch the Sunday Night game between Arizona & Minnesota?  If not, then you missed hearing the following comment from Al Michaels regarding the Vikings All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen, who up to that point hadn't been getting much pressure on Kurt Warner:

"Sooner or later, number 69 will be in your face."

--Carlos Santana, 2010