Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415761 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1365 on: November 05, 2009, 03:18:18 PM »
Lincecum is a "freak" in more ways than one: cited for pot posession (a very small amount) in Wash state.

http://www.columbian.com/article/20091105/NEWS02/711069987
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: November 05, 2009, 04:03:17 PM »
Interesting stat, courtesy Outsports: the Yankees tend to win the WS when there's a Dem in the White House.  (Last time they won under a Repub was 1958; their nine titles since then were under Dems.)

Was interested to see Olbermann's "9 smartest plays in the history of the WS" the other night -- he ranked Johnny Damon's double-steal Sunday nite at #1. Not bad for a player considered "dumb as a box of rocks".

That was a great moment.  I commend Fox for explaining that having Damon on third basically took away Lidge's hard slider -- since that often breaks in the dirt and could get away from the catcher -- and left him w just his fastball, and we saw what happened then.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: November 05, 2009, 05:07:04 PM »
Lincecum is a "freak" in more ways than one: cited for pot posession (a very small amount) in Wash state.

With a hairstyle like that, are we really surprised? Next thing you know he'll be giving the old Dock Ellis thing a try...
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: November 05, 2009, 08:33:32 PM »

With a hairstyle like that, are we really surprised? Next thing you know he'll be giving the old Dock Ellis thing a try...

TANC: have you heard Todd Snider's song about the Ellis incident? I think it's called "America's Pastime" or something -- it's on his new CD and KPIG has been playing it. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: November 08, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »
Went to the Sharks game last nite; one of the sweeter victories I've gotten to see in SJ. They beat the reigning Stanley Cup Champs, Pittsburgh -- lots of Penguins jerseys in the crowd, the most opposing-team jerseys I've seen at the Tank in some time -- by shutting them out 5-0.  And Penguins star (and NHL "It" boy) Sidney Crosby got a penalty barely a minute into the game. A very happy crowd at the Carly Fi-arena, er, HP Pavilion.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: November 10, 2009, 08:53:17 AM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: November 10, 2009, 08:58:46 AM »
a VERY funny rant, if you're (like me) a Yankees hater:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20091106_Letters__Yankee_fans__agony_has_ended.html

yes, being a Yankee fan in this day of free agency and no cap is no fun.  The World Series payoff can't ever approach what it would mean to a, say, Cub fan,  -- or a Giants fan.

My father was a Yankee fan, so the team is on my radar, but I wasn't rooting for them.
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: November 10, 2009, 10:48:29 AM »
a VERY funny rant, if you're (like me) a Yankees hater:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/opinion/20091106_Letters__Yankee_fans__agony_has_ended.html

You're right, that was brilliant.  But the best line was the final one, describing the author as "a Mets fan, but rooted for the Phillies in the World Series."
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: November 12, 2009, 08:51:32 AM »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: November 12, 2009, 10:47:09 AM »
What the Puck?

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local-beat/Boy-Struck-By-Flying-Puck-at-Sharks-Game.html

watch out, Alicat!

very punny, but nbc beat you to it!  :)

SFGate features nbcbayarea's tweets (among others) on our home page.  They printed this:

"Boy Struck By Flying Puck at Sharks Game: What the puck? Here's proof that hockey can leave fans bloody, too. http://bit.ly/cbIXK

~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: November 13, 2009, 07:47:39 AM »
Sports Illustrated is reporting that this year's Super Bowl halftime act is...

so does that mean it'll be Arsenal v. Manchester United?

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: November 16, 2009, 02:19:08 PM »
not that I relish this, but I've tried a few times to draw a distinction between what Kurt Warner says after a big win & what other Christian athletes typically say...and yesterday J-ville's David Garrard gave the perfect example during the NBC pre-game for the Indy/NE clash.  On camera, in a live feed to Dan Patrick, Garrard said, "Well, the Lord was on my side today and he really came through for me." [emphasis added]  Uhhhh, no.  That is a huge example of precisely the kind of pseudo-religious hubris that keeps getting our country in trouble.  I mean...I want to gnash my teeth and rend my robes when I hear this f***ing s***.  As Bono once famously said, "the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"  I rather doubt God had the Jaguars in His Vegas parlay yesterday, so this gets my Trot Nixon Memorial award for 2009.

Now I believe there exists a road-less-taken in this example, and I could be wrong, but I think it is actually exemplified by Kurt Warner.  I have never heard him say anything other than, in response to a lead-in question about how he feels after one of his several MVP performances, "I give all glory to God".  There might not be that many theologians in this forum, but this is in fact quite precisely what Jesus actually preached:   Whatever you achieve, be humble and give glory to God.  Do not tell everyone that God favored you & that your success is due to your having special status in God's eyes.  In other words, there is a way to thank God without claiming that God wanted you to win.  One of the many idiosyncracies of Christianity is that a true believer has to thank God no matter what, win or lose, live or die.

So I give a big middle finger to David Garrard, and I'm very close to giving one to Tim Tebow.  But by the same token, I give Warner props for relative restraint in this area.

Now if you want to argue that we should have a comprehensive separation of Church & Sports the way we're supposed to have one between Church & State...all I can say is that I agree in principle, but after 8 years of GWB, I think the Church/State question remains far more dire.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:46:45 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: November 16, 2009, 02:37:39 PM »
not that I relish this, but I've tried a few times to draw a distinction between what Kurt Warner says after a big win & what other Christian athletes typically say...and yesterday J-ville's David Garrard gave the perfect example during the NBC pre-game for the Indy/NE clash.  On camera, in a live feed to Dan Patrick, Garrard said, "Well, the Lord was on my side today and he really came through for me." [emphasis added]  Uhhhh, no.  That is a huge example of precisely the kind of pseudo-religious hubris that keeps getting our country in trouble.  I mean...I want to gnash my teeth and rend my robes when I hear this f***ing s***.  As Bono once famously said, "the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"  I rather doubt God had the Jaguars in his Vegas parlay yesterday, so this gets my Trot Nixon Memorial award for 2009.

Now I believe there exists a road-less-taken in this example, and I could be wrong, but I think it is actually exemplified by Kurt Warner.  I have never heard him say anything other than, in response to a lead-in question about how he feels after one of his several MVP performances, "I give all glory to God".  There might not be that many theologians in this forum, but this is in fact quite precisely what Jesus actually preached:   Whatever you achieve, be humble and give glory to God.  Do not tell everyone that God favored you & that your success is due to your having special status in God's eyes.  In other words, there is a way to thank God without claiming that God wanted you to win.  One of the many idiosyncracies of Christianity is that a true believer has to thank God no matter what, win or lose, live or die.

So I give a big middle finger to David Garrard, and I'm very close to giving one to Tim Tebow.  But by the same token, I give Warner props for relative restraint in this area.

Now if you want to argue that we should have a comprehensive separation of Church & Sports the way we're supposed to have one between Church & State...all I can say is that I agree in principle, but after 8 years of GWB, I think the Church/State question remains far more dire.

well said. I loved the "rend my robes" part, esp.  The person interviewing Gerrard should have asked him "So.. does that mean the Lord didn't want your opponent to win b/c, you know, they weren't worthy or had sinned in really super bad ways?  Did they not pray hard enough in the pre-game warmups?"
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: November 16, 2009, 02:44:57 PM »
Thanks Tink.

& in a polar opposite note, I just lifted this from another site, but it is (I'll take their word for it) a direct quote from the audio heard by anyone watching the Broncos/Indigenous Natives game on Sunday:

blogger: "Dan Dierdorf is a legend. This is an exact quote from the game audio:"

"Quinton Ganther is not a stranger to taking a lick or handing one out, either! He's deserved a little...he deserves a blow on the sideline."

Followed by three seconds of silence.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:48:07 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: November 16, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
Thanks Tink.

& in a polar opposite note, I just lifted this from another site, but it is (I'll take their word for it) a direct quote from the audio heard by anyone watching the Broncos/Indigenous Natives game on Sunday:

blogger: "Dan Dierdorf is a legend. This is an exact quote from the game audio:"

"Quinton Ganther is not a stranger to taking a lick or handing one out, either! He's deserved a little...he deserves a blow on the sideline."

Followed by three seconds of silence.

in 10th grade bio class, Mr Jones (who was Joe Montana's roommate at Notre Dame, btw), had an anatomical diagram of an adult male pelvis on the overhead projector (remember those?). some kid asked "what's up w the pubic bone?"  

Mr Jones said "It's for protection... because if you receive a blow in this area..."

.. he never got to finish the sentence...
~CPL593H~