Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415688 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1335 on: October 02, 2009, 09:50:42 AM »
I mentioned in yesterday's 10@10 thread that the Cardinals Chris Carpenter hit a grand slam and a 2-run double in a 13-0 blowout of the Reds, before leaving in the 6th.  So not only was that a franchise RBI record for a pitcher, coming into the game Carp had 6 RBI's in his CAREER, so he doubled hiis career total in a single game!

Looks like I'll be "rooting" for the Cards this post-season, though I've got nothing against Colorado, either.  In the AL, um, I guess Detroit.  Blech.

Very nice year by the g-men.  But no cigar.

I'll have to see who's playing who in the first round. I'm rooting for whoever is playing the Dodgers and the Angels.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: October 02, 2009, 10:04:24 AM »
I mentioned in yesterday's 10@10 thread that the Cardinals Chris Carpenter hit a grand slam and a 2-run double in a 13-0 blowout of the Reds, before leaving in the 6th.  So not only was that a franchise RBI record for a pitcher, coming into the game Carp had 6 RBI's in his CAREER, so he doubled hiis career total in a single game!

Looks like I'll be "rooting" for the Cards this post-season, though I've got nothing against Colorado, either.  In the AL, um, I guess Detroit.  Blech.

Very nice year by the g-men.  But no cigar.

I'll have to see who's playing who in the first round. I'm rooting for whoever is playing the Dodgers and the Angels.

I hate Boston and the Yankees nearly as much as the Dodgers.  Nearly.  Call it east coast bias backlash. 
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: October 06, 2009, 08:06:58 PM »

Looks like I'll be "rooting" for the Cards this post-season, though I've got nothing against Colorado, either. 

...so both of you will be rooting for the Cards...alright!  If the Redbirds make it to the WS, whoever wins the AL will represent a team that the Cards have already played in the WS.  The Twins are the only team they haven't beaten at least once in the WS, so I'm kinda hoping for a 1987 rematch...If they get past the Dodgers & the winner of Philly/Colo.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:09:04 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »

Looks like I'll be "rooting" for the Cards this post-season, though I've got nothing against Colorado, either. 

...so both of you will be rooting for the Cards...alright!  If the Redbirds make it to the WS, whoever wins the AL will represent a team that the Cards have already played in the WS.  The Twins are the only team they haven't beaten at least once in the WS, so I'm kinda hoping for a 1987 rematch...If they get past the Dodgers & the winner of Philly/Colo.

Looks like I better get ready to root for the Phils or Colorado. Love to see the Cards pull it out and send LA to the showers, but to be down 2 games to none in a 5-game series is one tough hill to climb. At least they're going home for the next two.

Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: October 09, 2009, 02:23:05 PM »

Looks like I better get ready to root for the Phils or Colorado. Love to see the Cards pull it out and send LA to the showers, but to be down 2 games to none in a 5-game series is one tough hill to climb. At least they're going home for the next two.

Yeah last night pretty much sucked..  If they get to a Game 5 back in LA, at least Carpenter will be back with a chance at redemption..  Been a very long time since he had two bad games in a row.  But first they must win two at home in St.L.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: October 10, 2009, 06:04:43 PM »

Yeah last night pretty much sucked..  If they get to a Game 5 back in LA, at least Carpenter will be back with a chance at redemption..  Been a very long time since he had two bad games in a row.  But first they must win two at home in St.L.

Well, the Cards are pretty much done. Bottom of the 9th, and they're down 5-1. Go Phils, who are off tonight, game called due to snow in Denver. Game 3 of that series is pushed back to tomorrow night. Let's hope the Rocks go out this in this series--I'd hate to think what World Series games being played in Denver in November would be like.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: October 10, 2009, 06:14:41 PM »
Well, the Cards are pretty much done

Goodbye, Cards.  :'(

have I mentioned lately how much I hate Manny?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: October 11, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »
Sunday Night Football just about to start, and Taylor Swift just did the opening song thing:  She is wonderful.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: October 11, 2009, 07:10:33 PM »
Sunday Night Football just about to start, and Taylor Swift just did the opening song thing:  She is wonderful.

I think that's Faith Hill, actually.  But Kanye sez Beyonce could do it better than either of 'em.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: October 12, 2009, 06:52:40 PM »
Phillies do it, thanks to a blown save by the Rockies' Houston Street.

ALCS: Angels/Yanks

NLCS: Phillies/Dodgers

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: October 12, 2009, 11:27:37 PM »
Phillies do it, thanks to a blown save by the Rockies' Houston Street.

ALCS: Angels/Yanks

NLCS: Phillies/Dodgers

Heard the last few innings of the Phils/Rockies game on the radio. Quite the thriller, that one. Then had a terrible, terrible, thought. The World Series could be all SoCal this year. I literally would not have a team to root for.

Pulling for a Phillies-Yankees series, with the Phils repeating as WS champs.

Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:09 PM »
Remember "Jess Knaster, Sharks Broad-caster"? That amateur sports guy KFOG used to have on every week during the '06-'07 hockey season, who was Just. F**king. Horrendous?  He's still blogging...

http://sharkshockeyodyssey.blogspot.com/

SFGuy

« Reply #1347 on: October 16, 2009, 12:27:04 AM »
Rush Limbaugh has been dropped from the group trying to buy the St. Louis Rams

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4562338

BTW, Mike and others. When this douchebag goes, I would have NO problem with a RIH for this racist pig (and I apologize to pigs).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: October 16, 2009, 07:31:01 AM »

BTW, Mike and others. When this douchebag goes, I would have NO problem with a RIH for this racist pig (and I apologize to pigs).

BWAHAHAHA! Nice to know there are some things we can all agree on.  ;) 

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1349 on: October 16, 2009, 08:27:34 AM »

BWAHAHAHA! Nice to know there are some things we can all agree on.  ;) 
;D :D ;)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!