Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415809 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1320 on: September 05, 2009, 06:13:56 PM »
Jeff Garcia is out!  (of the Raider organization, that is -- they released him today.)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1321 on: September 05, 2009, 09:49:57 PM »
Jeff Garcia is out!  (of the Raider organization, that is -- they released him today.)
pretty weird, if you ask me.  I saw an article in the Green Bay area talking about how the Packers should sign Garcia, and how stupid it was for the Raiders to let Garcia go.
http://mvn.com/thefrozentundra/2009/09/packers-need-to-sign-jeff-garcia.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: September 06, 2009, 08:43:49 PM »
Talk about under-the-radar: A's closer Andrew Bailey tied Huston Street's record today for most saves by a rookie, with a month left in the season. When Street set the record, he got lots of press; how many people east of California have ever heard of Andrew Bailey?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:45 AM »
Steve Perry's a Giants fan--who'd a thunk?!?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/14/SPU219M4EO.DTL

(Although he's been one only since 2002, which was the year they went to the Series. Bandwagoner.)
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: September 16, 2009, 11:44:38 AM »
I registered w The Band 103.7's website and just got this email:

Tickets for Opening Night and all of the 41 Sharks home games go on sale Saturday,
but as a Band listener you can get tickets before the public!

Starting TODAY at 10AM through Friday at 10PM, you can get your tickets...
click here

http://www.ticketmaster.com/San-Jose-Sharks-tickets/artist/806018

and use the password:  SHKBAND
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: September 16, 2009, 11:57:06 AM »
I registered w The Band 103.7's website and just got this email:

Tickets for Opening Night and all of the 41 Sharks home games go on sale Saturday,
but as a Band listener you can get tickets before the public!

Starting TODAY at 10AM through Friday at 10PM, you can get your tickets...
click here

http://www.ticketmaster.com/San-Jose-Sharks-tickets/artist/806018

and use the password:  SHKBAND

Thanks -- that'll be my lunch hour project! (I'm on vacay the week of opening nite)

ETA: got my Opening Nite ticket ($43 was the cheapest avail, which with TicketBastard comes to $55.95!) plus 3 other games, but 2 of those were at the $21 nosebleed-level price at least. 

Funny, I'm on TicketBastard's mailing list but I got no email alert about pre-sales. Alicat, did you know about it?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 12:52:34 PM by RGMike »

SFGuy

« Reply #1326 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:17 AM »
Saw a feature on ESPN where the did a feature on USC where football coach Pete Carroll uses the Bill Withers' Lean on Me as inspiration for his players. What was interesting was the players knew the song, knew who Bill Withers was. He showed up at a USC football meeting (as someone from the NCAA). When he finally mentioned who he was, the players gasped, knowing who he was. Interesting to hear a bunch of 19 and 20 years knowing someone from the early 70's. These players weren't even alive for the mid-80s remake (the band's name escapes me right now).

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4467123

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: September 17, 2009, 08:13:47 AM »
the mid-80s remake (the band's name escapes me right now).

Club Nouveau.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: September 18, 2009, 10:55:28 AM »
I have promoted Footbal Outsiders to y'all many times previously, but no matter what you think about footbal, you just gotta love the opening paragraphs to this weeks rundown of Wk 2 gmes by Mike Tanier.

by Mike Tanier

When the rapture occurs, the righteous will ascend into heaven, the wicked will suffer tribulations on earth, and Ben Roethlisberger will pump-fake.

In the event of biblical judgment, Walkthrough
(the FO wkly rundown article) will appear on www.footballoutsiders.com as scheduled, but the Cardinals quarterback situation will sort itself out nicely. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, they'll have to honor Kurt Warner's contract even if he is walking upon streets of gold.

New Testament scholars know that the rapture appears nowhere in the bible; it's a synthesis of material from the books of Revelations and 1 Thessalonians. That makes it an uneasy mix of clashing philosophies from different eras, just like the Redskins offense.

Non-scholars believe that the Man from Mars who Eats Cars (Richie Incognito) is somehow involved.

They are mistaken, though not necessarily forgiven.

We dwell on these matters because Week 1 of the NFL season brings a rush to judgment, biblical or otherwise. We quickly separate the saved (Seahawks) from the damned (Panthers) based on 60-minute samples. When results turn out as we planned (Warner reverted to pre-2008 form), we cite predestination. When our predictions prove faulty (Jay Cutler was a jittery mess) we banish our claims in to-early-to-tell purgatory. Luckily for all, our judgments are more ephemeral than eternal. In two weeks, we'll be too busy fitting Super Bowl rings on the teams that rode soft schedules to 3-0 records (Vikings, Broncos) to remember any of this week's Mark Sanchez-to-Matt Ryan comparisons.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 11:02:30 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: September 26, 2009, 01:11:22 PM »
Cont'd from the T.S. Eliot thread since I got diverted into baseball history that I thought at least some of you wouldn't have known (I sure didn't!) and would appreciate.

In 1885 they (the St. Louis Brown Stockings of the old American Assoc'n) played the National League's Chicago White Stockings, later the Cubs (no, really!), in the first fore-runner of the WS, and it ended inconclusively in dispute.  The following year saw a rematch which St. Louis won conculsively, instigating the rivalry that persists 123 yrs on.  In 1892 the AA folded & St. Louis joined the NL.  In 1899 the team changed their name to --- wait for it --- The Perfectos (!), but a year later, in 1900, they became the Cardinals.  In 1902 a new team joined the American league called the St. Louis Browns*.  In 1920 the team hired the legendary Branch Rickey as GM & he gave up the lease on Robison park to become tenants of the Browns & share the legendary Sportsman's Park until 1953.  With the money he saved, Rickey helped create the first minor league system as we know it today, which bore much fruit for the Redbirds to the present day.

*that same year the Chicago franchise, having been called the Colts during Cap (the 1st 3000 hit man) Anson’s player/manager heyday, and briefly known as the Orphans the year after he retired, adopted the name The Cubs.  Another Southside Chicago team joined the AL & took of the name The Black Stockings - in direct contrast to the North-Siders - but after the scandal of the 1919 WS, they ‘purified’ themselves to become the White Stockings.  In the mid 50’s the St. Louis Browns moved to Baltimore to become the Orioles, leaving the rent at Sportsman’s Park entirely to the Cardinals until the first Busch Stadium could be built in 1966.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: September 30, 2009, 01:46:24 PM »
Nice to see that Barretta is doing well!  ;)

Sharks announced Wed that Robert Blake will be team captain
http://www.mercurynews.com/twitter/ci_13454028?source=rss

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: October 01, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »
Nice to see that Barretta is doing well!  ;)

Sharks announced Wed that Robert Blake will be team captain
http://www.mercurynews.com/twitter/ci_13454028?source=rss

"and you can take that to the Tank!"

and in case anyone was worried: sabean and Bochy will both be back with the G-men next year:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/10/01/SPEC19VOOG.DTL

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
week 4
« Reply #1332 on: October 01, 2009, 10:11:19 PM »
TEN CHI NYG IN HOU NE WAS CIN BUF NYJ SF DAL PIT GB 45
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:15 AM »
I mentioned in yesterday's 10@10 thread that the Cardinals Chris Carpenter hit a grand slam and a 2-run double in a 13-0 blowout of the Reds, before leaving in the 6th.  So not only was that a franchise RBI record for a pitcher, coming into the game Carp had 6 RBI's in his CAREER, so he doubled hiis career total in a single game!

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: October 02, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
I mentioned in yesterday's 10@10 thread that the Cardinals Chris Carpenter hit a grand slam and a 2-run double in a 13-0 blowout of the Reds, before leaving in the 6th.  So not only was that a franchise RBI record for a pitcher, coming into the game Carp had 6 RBI's in his CAREER, so he doubled hiis career total in a single game!

Looks like I'll be "rooting" for the Cards this post-season, though I've got nothing against Colorado, either.  In the AL, um, I guess Detroit.  Blech.

Very nice year by the g-men.  But no cigar.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing