Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415852 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1275 on: July 26, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
Hey, Shray, your Cards just picked up another bat for their stretch drive--apparently the Holliday deal with the A's is done:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256

tho' he hasn't been a very reliable bat for the A's this year. (But then few of their bats *have* been.)

He's been on fire lately.  And in front of or behind Albert....  look out!

Yeah, he's been tearing it up the last month or so, hitting well over .300. And I think he had a grand salami in that huge comeback win over the Twins the other night.

He went 4 fer 5 in his Cardinals debut, with a homer and a triple.  It was the first time in his career that he tripled and homered in the same game.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: July 26, 2009, 11:58:09 PM »
Hey, Shray, your Cards just picked up another bat for their stretch drive--apparently the Holliday deal with the A's is done:

tho' he hasn't been a very reliable bat for the A's this year. (But then few of their bats *have* been.)

Yeah, he's been tearing it up the last month or so, hitting well over .300. And I think he had a grand salami in that huge comeback win over the Twins the other night.

He went 4 fer 5 in his Cardinals debut, with a homer and a triple.  It was the first time in his career that he tripled and homered in the same game.

And he hit .500 in the two games following--2 for 4 and 1 for 2 yesterday and today. It seems like he likes St. Louie.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: July 27, 2009, 07:58:44 AM »

And he hit .500 in the two games following--2 for 4 and 1 for 2 yesterday and today. It seems like he likes St. Louie.

Funny what having something to play for does for a player.  See also: anyone who's been traded from Pittsburgh midseason any of the past 12 years.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: July 27, 2009, 11:50:43 PM »

Funny what having something to play for does for a player.  See also: anyone who's been traded from Pittsburgh midseason any of the past 12 years.

He hit another double tonight.  And to Gaz's point, the Cards picked up Mark DeRosa from the last-place Indians and although he went 0 for his first 15 at bats as a Redbird, he has since gone 11 for 30 with 5 home runs in the last 8 games.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
Fun Giants game last night. Sent Bob last night and I'm gonna go brave the freeze tonight. Gotta say IMHO that in the post-game interview, Lincecum's hair looked better than AmyG's.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: July 29, 2009, 09:18:56 PM »

Here's hoping that still holds. The Giants just picked up Freddy Sanchez from the Bucs for Tim Alderson, hot pitching prospect. Of course, that's assuming that the possibility of a wild card berth is enough to motivate him.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: July 29, 2009, 09:25:19 PM »

Here's hoping that still holds. The Giants just picked up Freddy Sanchez from the Bucs for Tim Alderson, hot pitching prospect. Of course, that's assuming that the possibility of a wild card berth is enough to motivate him.

Barring injury, he'll hit .325 minimum for ya.  Damn, do I resent the Pirates ownership for what they did to the people of Pittsburgh - first, holding them over a barrel with the "Plan B" scam to pay for the new stadium, then, pocketing the corporate welfare as profit instead of investing in the team.  The Pirates have ostentatiously served as MLB's farm club for far too long.  MLB should hijack the ownership.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: July 30, 2009, 11:56:25 AM »
Them and the Royals, although just maybe the Royals are turning it around if they hold onto Greinke.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 30, 2009, 12:06:45 PM »
Damn, do I resent the Pirates ownership for what they did to the people of Pittsburgh - first, holding them over a barrel with the "Plan B" scam to pay for the new stadium, then, pocketing the corporate welfare as profit instead of investing in the team.  The Pirates have ostentatiously served as MLB's farm club for far too long.  MLB should hijack the ownership.

are they still owned by that rumored-to-be-gay guy? I forget his name.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: July 30, 2009, 02:58:11 PM »
Good profile of Billy Beane on espn.com, keyed to the collapse of the Moneyball movie:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/otl/columns/story?columnist=bryant_howard&id=4357166

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: August 01, 2009, 10:38:46 PM »
Love the hed on the SFGate front door re: Rickey Henderson getting his number retired by the A's tonight:

Rickey Won't Lose That Number

Tinka, my hat's off to whoever wrote that one.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: August 02, 2009, 11:24:01 AM »
Love the hed on the SFGate front door re: Rickey Henderson getting his number retired by the A's tonight:

LOL! Rickey was hanging out in the A's TV booth early in the game. "Rickey is very happy".

The headline reminds me of a piece someone wrote for Slate or Salon a few years ago. The writer had been working at a big newspaper in Texas (Houston Chron? Dallas something?), just out of college and he was the weekend editor.  It was the summer of '77 and Texas was having a bad drought, so the paper did a feature story on how folks were coping. And he chose the headline "Sunshine, Blue Skies, Please Go Away", which our young editor thought was very clever.

Monday morning he got called into the Chief's office (I picture the editor from Spiderman, with a Texas accent) and was chastized for the hed. "I don't evah want to see rock'n'roll lyrics in mah newspaper again! You understand me, boy??"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: August 02, 2009, 06:19:28 PM »

I liked that, too.  I'll pass along the kudos!
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: August 02, 2009, 06:50:47 PM »
Saw Zito shut down the Phils on TV today.  Nice outing - and nice bat work, too.  Alas, I had him benched in my fantasy baseball league b/c I thought he'd get shellacked.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: August 02, 2009, 08:43:02 PM »
Saw Zito shut down the Phils on TV today.  Nice outing - and nice bat work, too.  Alas, I had him benched in my fantasy baseball league b/c I thought he'd get shellacked.

The Chron carried a piece from the St Pete Times today about Pat the Bat and what a bust he's been for the Rays this year. I'm sure you could help him get his, er, average up. ;)