Author Topic: The Sports Thread  (Read 415661 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Sports Thread
« Reply #1260 on: July 13, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »
Timmy Linseed-cum gets the nod over Haren; he'll start tomo'w nite:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=43486&tsp=1

Here's hoping he doesn't succumb to the Atlee Hammaker curse...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: July 13, 2009, 12:44:41 PM »
Timmy Linseed-cum gets the nod over Haren; he'll start tomo'w nite:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?entry_id=43486&tsp=1

Here's hoping he doesn't succumb to the Atlee Hammaker curse...
don't think it, don't say it......
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: July 14, 2009, 08:35:54 AM »
watched a bit of the pre-All-Star Game stuff, which must explain this snippet of a dream I had last night.

Pujols was being interviewed after the game and typically defering praise for his individual accomplishment, and he said that the thing he was most happy about was that the National League had finally won & would have the home field advantage in the World Series for the first time since that rule was put in place.  And that this would really help the Cardinals if they got that far.

That's the kind of dream that just might come true.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: July 14, 2009, 08:54:33 AM »
watched a bit of the pre-All-Star Game stuff, which must explain this snippet of a dream I had last night.

Pujols was being interviewed after the game and typically defering praise for his individual accomplishment, and he said that the thing he was most happy about was that the National League had finally won & would have the home field advantage in the World Series for the first time since that rule was put in place.  And that this would really help the Cardinals if they got that far.

And then, Kung Fu Panda karate chops Pujols with a shaving cream filled towel, and the Giants go on to win it all!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: July 14, 2009, 09:03:05 AM »

And then, Kung Fu Panda karate chops Pujols with a shaving cream filled towel, and the Giants go on to win it all!

Bwhahahaha!  As Giants fans say when the Cards come to town: "Shove it up your Pujols"!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: July 14, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »

I like, I like. Giants win, it's panda-monium.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: July 21, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »
Very cool, considering what a bad year the A's are having:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/20/SP8118S336.DTL&type=sports

I tend to go to bed early on Monday nites; I tuned past the A's game around 8:45 and they were losing 12-7 in the 6th.  (I didn't know they'd been down 12-2 at one point.) So I decided not to stay up. Go figure!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: July 23, 2009, 08:52:17 PM »
so, the A's/Yankees game in NYC had a THREE HOUR rain delay. They're now in the 6th inning at just before mudnight EDT!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Step aside, Jonathan Sanchez
« Reply #1268 on: July 23, 2009, 11:53:52 PM »
so, the A's/Yankees game in NYC had a THREE HOUR rain delay. They're now in the 6th inning at just before mudnight EDT!

And Mark Buerle threw a perfect game against the Rays. Only the 18th one ever recorded, and the second no-hitter of his career.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/23/SP4K18TSTE.DTL
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Step aside, Jonathan Sanchez
« Reply #1269 on: July 24, 2009, 07:28:15 AM »

And Mark Buerle threw a perfect game against the Rays. Only the 18th one ever recorded, and the second no-hitter of his career.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/07/23/SP4K18TSTE.DTL

an FB friend of mine (and former Regular Guy) who lives in Chi-town posted yesterday "Buehrle is perfect!" and i though he meant, y'know, physically.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: July 24, 2009, 09:28:00 AM »
Hey, Shray, your Cards just picked up another bat for their stretch drive--apparently the Holliday deal with the A's is done:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4353256
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: July 24, 2009, 09:35:02 AM »
Hey, Shray, your Cards just picked up another bat for their stretch drive--apparently the Holliday deal with the A's is done:

tho' he hasn't been a very reliable bat for the A's this year. (But then few of their bats *have* been.)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: July 24, 2009, 09:39:16 AM »

tho' he hasn't been a very reliable bat for the A's this year. (But then few of their bats *have* been.)

He's been on fire lately.  And in front of or behind Albert....  look out!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: July 24, 2009, 09:47:53 AM »

He's been on fire lately.  And in front of or behind Albert....  look out!

Yeah, he's been tearing it up the last month or so, hitting well over .300. And I think he had a grand salami in that huge comeback win over the Twins the other night.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: July 25, 2009, 12:16:51 PM »
One of the questions in Sports Illustrated's "Pop Culture Grid" this week was "Wilco is.... ?"  And none of the 4 athletes queried had any idea who Wilco is. (Granted, 2 were young black women from the WNBA and another was a Latino soccer player, but... why ask the question if the players are so obviously not in the band's demographic?)