Author Topic: The Food Thread  (Read 57993 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: The Food Thread
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2012, 07:01:11 PM »
The Smithsonian names the US's best food trucks:

The only SF truck that made the cut is Hapa, which looks decent though I've never been fan of Filipino food.  A match made in heaven?  KOREAN TACOS!!!   

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/The-20-Best-Food-Trucks-in-the-United-States.html

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 05, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
cool article in today's Chron about the Giants' clubhouse chef.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/04/FDAM1NU5RM.DTL#ixzz1rCA1C163

But one quote stood out:

"I made a risotto one day and they were like, 'What the hell is this?' "

Srsly?

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 05, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
cool article in today's Chron about the Giants' clubhouse chef.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/04/FDAM1NU5RM.DTL#ixzz1rCA1C163

But one quote stood out:

"I made a risotto one day and they were like, 'What the hell is this?' "

Srsly?

Reminds me of a story Jim Bouton told in Ball Four in which the clubhouse man included chicken a la king along with the usual post-game spread, and was derided for daring to include such unorthodox fare along with the steaks, hotdogs, and burgers.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 27, 2012, 07:59:07 AM »
actual GOOD NY-style bagels in SF?? Looks like it might be so:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/04/26/BUJ31O8129.DTL

"Blueberries belong in muffins, they don't belong in bagels," said co-founder David Kover.  Word!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 27, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
Posted this on FB too, but it is not surprising that "extreme flavored" vodkas mostly suck...

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/foodie/2012/04/marshmallow_pbj_bacon_the_extr.php

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2012, 11:22:40 AM »
meant to mention this a few weeks ago but I somehow missed the fact that they closed the Chevy's on Van Ness across from Opera Plaza. That leaves only 2 in SF (Stonestown and SOMA). WTF?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2012, 10:15:40 AM »
I've been reading this guy's restaurant blog for a while. Pretty down-to-earth. He knows what he likes.  But as the KFOG anniv party was at Epic Roasthouse and a lot of folks raved.... I thought I'd post his thumbs-down on dinner there. They loves them some salt, apparently:

http://www.thechilidog.net/2012/10/epic-roasthouse-369-embarcadero-near.html

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
I've been reading this guy's restaurant blog for a while. Pretty down-to-earth. He knows what he likes.  But as the KFOG anniv party was at Epic Roasthouse and a lot of folks raved.... I thought I'd post his thumbs-down on dinner there. They loves them some salt, apparently:

I was at the Epic Roasthouse that day but missed out on their little nibbles they passed around. I got to eat AL's cheeseburger, though, which was pretty good and it made me feel special to eat a celebrity burger.  Can't recall if it was too salty, but generally speaking I like to salt my beef. 

Note: there are no double entendres in the previous message.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2012, 11:27:24 AM »

I was at the Epic Roasthouse that day but missed out on their little nibbles they passed around. I got to eat AL's cheeseburger, though, which was pretty good and it made me feel special to eat a celebrity burger.  Can't recall if it was too salty, but generally speaking I like to salt my beef. 

Note: there are no double entendres in the previous message.

I prefer my beef jerked.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2013, 09:54:48 AM »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2013, 10:12:55 AM »
Brother-in-Law's BBQ (aka Da Pitt) gets the boot, yo.

http://insidescoopsf.sfgate.com/blog/2013/04/29/divisadero-staple-da-pitt-gets-evicted/

Such is the way of BBQ joints in SF. They never seem to last more than a few years. (Big Nate's was the exception to that, and now they're gone too.)

I still miss Cliff's down on Bayshore. They were the best.
Let's get right to it.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2013, 10:16:14 AM »
Who here likes cold-brewed coffee?  It seems like all the coffee shops in SF are serving their iced coffee this way...and a bunch in the SB/EB are doing it too.  Not as many in the peninsula but there are a couple.  It tastes pretty good...most of the ones I've tried are very low in acidity.  They're also usually much sweeter, even without added sugar.  I'm looking for a good one in SF.  Can someone recommend one/a few?  My favorite one in the south bay is at Cafe Legato.  They use Ritual Roasters, which I don't usually like because it's too acidic, but their brewing method gets it out and WOW--it has a very strong cola taste...it's almost like Pepsi Natural, even with no added sweetener...just with no carbonation.

I've been trying to make it at home with a very simple-looking machine called Toddy.  Seems to get good results with Starbucks Casi Cielo.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:33 PM »
Who here likes cold-brewed coffee?  It seems like all the coffee shops in SF are serving their iced coffee this way...and a bunch in the SB/EB are doing it too.  Not as many in the peninsula but there are a couple.  It tastes pretty good...most of the ones I've tried are very low in acidity.  They're also usually much sweeter, even without added sugar.  I'm looking for a good one in SF.  Can someone recommend one/a few?  My favorite one in the south bay is at Cafe Legato.  They use Ritual Roasters, which I don't usually like because it's too acidic, but their brewing method gets it out and WOW--it has a very strong cola taste...it's almost like Pepsi Natural, even with no added sweetener...just with no carbonation.

I've been trying to make it at home with a very simple-looking machine called Toddy.  Seems to get good results with Starbucks Casi Cielo.

haven't tried it, but I think Blue Bottle does this.  it's not cheap, but nothing at BB is.
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2013, 01:19:22 PM »

haven't tried it, but I think Blue Bottle does this.  it's not cheap, but nothing at BB is.

I started drinking Toddys a couple of years ago; there's a cafe near a farmers' market I was working that made cold brew and I'd get a tall one before the market. You're right, the flavor is great but that stuff is like rocket fuel--I'd be buzzing like a cheap TV.  Learned fast to either have them dilute it a little or to just order a short one.
Let's get right to it.