Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399022 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: who the hell is Percy?
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2005, 03:18:58 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "ggould"
woo hoo! we're havin' a percy party!

wait... lemme rephrase that...
lame-o that I am, I did a web search for Robert Plant and Percy, and am guessing it's his nickname.  Found this scathing review:

http://www.dallasmusicguide.com/live/robertplant.htm

Pretty funny actually, and I really liked the Austin City Limits where he did "Darkness, Darkness" and "Song for a Siren."  I've seen Zep, I saw Page and Plant at the Oakland Coliseum, don't need to lose my hearing all over again.

"percy" is a Brit slang-word for penis. And Mr Plant's percy is legendary, thus the nickname.

There was a British movie in the '70s, Percy about a guy who gets a, uh, appendage transplant. It had a sndtk by the Kinks!

Ahh, those wacky brits.  Do you think they have more slang terms for penis (e. g. 'rig') than Americans do?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2005, 04:35:58 PM »
Ahh, those wacky brits.  Do you think they have more slang terms for penis (e. g. 'rig') than Americans do?

I think we're neck and neck.   :D
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2005, 04:50:41 PM »
Christ, I wish I had as much time to look for new avatars as you guys all do!
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2005, 04:50:47 PM »

lame-o that I am, I did a web search for Robert Plant and Percy, and am guessing it's his nickname.  Found this scathing review:

Pretty funny actually, and I really liked the Austin City Limits where he did "Darkness, Darkness" and "Song for a Siren."  I've seen Zep, I saw Page and Plant at the Oakland Coliseum, don't need to lose my hearing all over again.

What'd you say about losing your hearing?  I survived Motorhead at the Warfield on Friday.  That, my friends, is hearing loss.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2005, 04:55:33 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Urth, don't change yours, it's too perfect.  Or else send it to me & let me use it for a while if you decide to change.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2005, 04:58:52 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Urth, don't change yours, it's too perfect.  Or else send it to me & let me use it for a while if you decide to change.

It does rather suit me, doesn't it?  :lol:

Maybe I'll send it to everyone, so we can all be Homer's cat scan for a few days.  :wink:
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2005, 05:02:49 PM »

It does rather suit me, doesn't it?  :lol:

Maybe I'll send it to everyone, so we can all be Homer's cat scan for a few days.  :wink:

Hell, I just stole the image now.  I'm building quite the collection...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2005, 05:31:23 PM »

The sad part is I actually have a lot of these images already. Pretty much ever since I've started wandering the internet I've collected pics (hot chicks, scifi stuff, funny stuff, hot chicks, etc).

Then when I started hanging out at TWoP and started participating in the Pixel Challenges- I began keeping a library of images of actors, actresses, pop culture stuff, hot chicks, etc. to use for my various wacky creations.

Then I started doing the tech stuff for Electric Candyland. Part of our schtick is that while the actors are improving on stage- I'm projecting images via a digital projector & laptop. I've expanded my image library to include landscapes & more 'environment' type pics.

And, of course, I screw around a lot during the day when I should be working!
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

What'd you say about losing your hearing?  I survived Motorhead at the Warfield on Friday.  That, my friends, is hearing loss.
When Zep played at Kezar back in 73, my head ached for a week, and the concert series that may have played out (the Dead played just before them) was permanently stopped due to neighborhood complaints about the noise.  There was one major show there after that, SNACK Sunday, but that was a benefit.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2005, 09:41:30 AM »
When Zep played at Kezar back in 73, my head ached for a week, and the concert series that may have played out (the Dead played just before them) was permanently stopped due to neighborhood complaints about the noise.  There was one major show there after that, SNACK Sunday, but that was a benefit.

Wow, it's tough to even try and picture the Dead, let alone Zeppelin, playing at what is now Kezar (granted, it was almost an entirely different place then, but I bet it still turned the Haight and Inner Sunset both on their collective ears.

As to the hearing loss, I think I'll be bringing earplugs, after the sonic battering my ears took at the Fillmore last Saturday. Drive By Truckers resurrected the spirit of Southern rock for three straight hours (three guitars and a quart of JD on the drum riser), and my ears rang like the bells of St. Mary's til Monday morning.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Todd/Joe Jackson
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2005, 04:04:58 PM »
Noticed when driving up to Boonville for the weekend that the Joe Jackson/Todd Rundgren tour is stopping at the LBC in Santa Rosa, the night before they get to Redwood City. And I don't think it's sold out, if anyone is interested.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Best named tour of the summer
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2005, 09:53:41 AM »
Just heard a day or so ago that Rufus Wainwright and Ben Folds are teaming up for a tour this summer. The tour is called...

Odd Men Out.

:D
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2005, 09:33:24 AM »
Loggins & Messina are touring... together?  Annalisa said she's giving away tix today; this was news to me!  Does poc know about this?

ETA: L&M are playing the Greek in Berkeley in Sept.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Eagles Farewell I Tour live on NBC
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2005, 08:59:42 PM »
watching it, pretty professional if a bit stiff.  I wonder who the other guitar player is?  I've googled my brains out, and it just seems like all anyone wants to tell us is who the original guys are, not who the hired guns are.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Fountains of Cheeze
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2005, 02:56:58 PM »
Saw a wonderfully amusing show by those mavens of irony, Fountains of Wayne, at Cafe du Nord last night, and among the songs in their set were some covers (or bits thereof) that would be of interest here:

I Can't Get It Out of My Head
White Wedding*
Twilight Zone*
Sharp Dressed Man*
Jet Airliner*
Stairway to Heaven* (just a tidbit)
Double Vision*
Fast Car (again, just a short bit, but hilarious)
Trains and Boats and Planes (Burt Bacharach)

*These were all part of a medley in the midst of Radiation Vibe, their first hit circa '96.

At one point during the encore, someone called out for That Thing You Do, the brilliant bit of pseudo-60s pop that Adam Schlesinger wrote for the film of the same name. His response: "Security!!"

Also, the music that was played on the PA as they took the stage: Gerry Rafferty's Home and Dry.

And the rest of the show was three-minute pop song after three-minute pop song. Great night out.

Btw, I also noted that Graham Parker will be playing at du Nord on July 28. Think I might have to get out to that one as well.
Let's get right to it.