Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 399007 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Pre-Percy pub crawl
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005, 12:44:20 PM »
Moving the discussion of where to meet before next week's Percy Party to the Concert board.

Another thought: Pacific Coast Brewing Co. It's about 10 blocks from the theatre, but great beer and the last time I was there the food was good. 9th & Washington, just off Broadway, an easy walk from 12th St. BART.

http://www.pacificcoastbrewing.com/
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-Percy pub crawl
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2005, 04:31:32 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Moving the discussion of where to meet before next week's Percy Party to the Concert board.

Another thought: Pacific Coast Brewing Co. It's about 10 blocks from the theatre, but great beer and the last time I was there the food was good. 9th & Washington, just off Broadway, an easy walk from 12th St. BART.

http://www.pacificcoastbrewing.com/

It seems unlikely that Sharlene will arrive early enough to do too much before the show.  More likely we could meet in the bar area downstairs a little before the show starts...

This pacific coast brewing place sounds good, though...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2005, 09:58:32 AM »
report from the john hiatt show (yesterday evening, downtown san jose): not so good. john is fine, his voice is prime, but the backing band (drummer excluded) - the north mississippi allstars - left much to desired. lots of out-of-tune wanking...

but that was ok. because a certain steely dan guitarist laid down some sing tracks on my new album yesterday, too. :)

Gaz at da Voice

The Concert Thread
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2005, 12:41:15 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
but that was ok. because a certain steely dan guitarist laid down some sing tracks on my new album yesterday, too. :)

:!:

Deets, please!  This is fab!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2005, 12:45:13 PM »
Quote from: "Gaz at da Voice"

:!:

Deets, please!  This is fab!

i think "sing" was supposed to read "smoking." :)
jon h. (steely dan recording and live guitarist) is in town playing with boz scaggs. he came to the studio in san jose yesterday, and played on three tracks. such an amazing player. great feel. the songs all have an entirely different language now, and it was just the motivation i needed to finish the album.

i met him five years ago, and we've kept in touch. he was in town in may with boz, and my studio buddy suggested i ask him to play on the album. i was more than a little nervous, but i figured you don't get chances like that every day. so i did, and he agreed, and now i'll have to put one of those decals on the cd shrinkwrap that reads, "featuring jon h."

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2005, 01:16:57 PM »
That's fab POC! Never fear asking. All you get is either a no or a yes. Put me down for an autographed copy of your next release.

Whats 'bout a partee before you leave town?
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
that reminds me!
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2005, 01:21:08 PM »
i think "sing" was supposed to read "smoking." :)
jon h. (steely dan recording and live guitarist) is in town playing with boz scaggs. he came to the studio in san jose yesterday, and played on three tracks. such an amazing player. great feel. the songs all have an entirely different language now, and it was just the motivation i needed to finish the album.

i met him five years ago, and we've kept in touch. he was in town in may with boz, and my studio buddy suggested i ask him to play on the album. i was more than a little nervous, but i figured you don't get chances like that every day. so i did, and he agreed, and now i'll have to put one of those decals on the cd shrinkwrap that reads, "featuring jon h."

We're going to see Boz tomorrow night!  I have indeed lost track of time, I forgot!  I haven't seen Boz live in so long, I can't remember.  I sold him a bass in my past life, but that was a long time ago too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2005, 01:27:35 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
That's fab POC! Never fear asking. All you get is either a no or a yes. Put me down for an autographed copy of your next release.

Whats 'bout a partee before you leave town?

coolio! a party? what's next weekend like? except friday...and i'm going dancing saturday afternoon. maybe a little something on sunday?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: that reminds me!
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2005, 01:28:13 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"

We're going to see Boz tomorrow night!  I have indeed lost track of time, I forgot!  I haven't seen Boz live in so long, I can't remember.  I sold him a bass in my past life, but that was a long time ago too.

should be a great show! i hope boz uses the steamy mic!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 15, 2005, 02:22:57 PM »
should be a great show! i hope boz uses the steamy mic!

Steamy Mic?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 15, 2005, 03:10:18 PM »
Steamy Mic?

to quote bill andted, "you'll see."

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2005, 03:31:33 PM »
Steamy Mic?
to quote bill andted, "you'll see."

I never saw the movie.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2005, 05:12:02 PM »
oh, and talk abou your six degrees: told me yesterday that he's headed to europe this fall to perform in the stage musical, "bagdad cafe," worknig with composer (you guessed it) bob telson (also responsible for "the gospel at colonus").

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
as Urth would say:
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2005, 05:38:41 PM »
oh, and talk abou your six degrees: told me yesterday that he's headed to europe this fall to perform in the stage musical, "bagdad cafe," worknig with composer (you guessed it) bob telson (also responsible for "the gospel at colonus").

There are no coincidences!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Boz Scaggs at Mountain Winery
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2005, 08:12:56 PM »
I have never been here, despite growing up in this area.  My high school bus route dropped some kids off near Carneil and Wardell just down Highway 9.  Fabulous venue. Four Year Bender did a short opening set, and they were very  pleasant and competent.  They are a local band, so maybe some of you have heard them.

About a half hour later, the band (minus Boz) came out, and some woman behind us said "Which one is Boz?"  They started with "Lowdown" which was very tasty.  The sound level and balance was superb.  Boz was so relaxed, everything had a kind of timeless calm to it.  The band was real good, not my favorite band, but I've seen Boz so many times over the years, starting as a member of the Steve Miller Blues Band at Fillmore West, it's hard to compare.  He's almost as big a chameleon as David Bowie, but more sincere about it.  Other songs were "Jo Jo," "Harbor Lights" (real spacy), a couple of songs from 'Dig' which I didn't know, but they went over well.   He even gave one of his backup singers, Monet, a solo turn on "Street Life."  The crowd loved her.  Martha remarked it felt like being at our high school reunion, as far as the age of people at the show.  I was so pleased when he started in to "Slow Dancer" but some of the clueless women behind us kept chattering.  I guess if it's pre-"Lowdown" they don't get it.  He did at least three encores, starting with the oldest song of the night, "Runnin' Blues," which was basically a showcase vehicle for the band to stretch out on.  We left during the third encore, "Danger, Breakdown Straight Ahead," since we were warned we might get trapped in the parking lot.  If he did "Loan Me a Dime" after that, I won't forgive myself!

I say you owe it to yourself sometime to catch a show there.  Perhaps the most intimate and beautiful place I've seen.

Not from this gig, but a nice shot from the bozscaggs.com site: