Author Topic: R&R HOF inductees announced  (Read 34198 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
R&R HOF inductees announced
« on: November 29, 2005, 10:07:10 AM »
Sabbath, Miles Davis & the Pistols lead the class. Also Blondie and Skynyrd. Can't help but think there are a few others more deserving that are still on the outside looking in.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2005/11/28/entertainment/e072000S92.DTL&hw=Rock+roll+hall+of+fame&sn=001&sc=1000
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:03:37 AM »
I know I posted the list of "eligibles" a few months back, but I can't remember which thread it was in.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 11:27:32 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I know I posted the list of "eligibles" a few months back, but I can't remember which thread it was in.

Found it, it was in the concert thread:

Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols
Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
John Mellencamp
J. Geils
Patti Smith Group
Chic
Cat Stevens
Joe Tex
Dave Clark Five
Paul Butterfield Band
Miles Davis
Sir Douglas Quintet

Still no Hollies, War, 3DN, Van halen....

Discuss!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 11:32:35 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Found it, it was in the concert thread:

Iggy and the Stooges
Sex Pistols
Blondie
Black Sabbath
Lynyrd Skynyrd,
John Mellencamp
J. Geils
Patti Smith Group
Chic
Cat Stevens
Joe Tex
Dave Clark Five
Paul Butterfield Band
Miles Davis
Sir Douglas Quintet

Still no Hollies, War, 3DN, Van halen....

Discuss!

Thanks, Rod!  Little Steven will be grumbling about Iggy, Geils and the DC5, fer sure.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
PBBB
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 08:32:48 PM »
I guess for me the biggest oversight is the Paul Butterfield Blues Band.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 05:04:01 PM »
Hey y'all, I'm off to Cleveland tomorrow on business, and if all goes well I'll have most of Wednesday afternoon to go to the Hall.  Has anyone in our circle of friends been there before?  I'm back late Wednesday night, will try to take some pix & give a summary.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 02:07:47 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Hey y'all, I'm off to Cleveland tomorrow on business, and if all goes well I'll have most of Wednesday afternoon to go to the Hall.  Has anyone in our circle of friends been there before?  I'm back late Wednesday night, will try to take some pix & give a summary.

Back from Cleveland, where the temp was well below freezing & they had gotten 6" of snow the day before.  Roads were clear though, so it was actually a not-too-bad winter experience.  Had a nice time the first night going to a Cavaliers game with one of my customers who turned out to be a local born & raised, so he gave me a lot of interesting background.

Meetings yesterday morning went a little long but I still had about an hour and a half to spend at the Hall.  Not enough time by any strecth of the imagination, at least not for denizens of this board.  But still worth it.  Architecturally the Hall is stunning (I. M. Pei designed it) and the interactive stuff is a lot of fun.  They have a special exhibit on Tommy which I could have spent 2 hours on by itself, but after going through the main exhibit area in just under 1 hour (s.b. 2.5 if you have the time) I had less than 30 min to spend there.  Photography is strictly prohibited, so sorry for not having any pix. 5 mintes in the gift shop & then I had to go turn in my rental & check-in.  Glad I did it, but barely did it any justice.  Can't wait to go back now.

Travel note: like most airports these days, Cleveland-Hopkins Int'l has an off-site car rental center with all the companies in one building.  When I got there Tuesday I didn't have a reservation, figuring I could check around for the best deal.  I mean how many people could be flying into Cleveland in mid-December? (my flight was less than half full, fer instance).  Well joke's on me as I go from line to line and ask "Do you have any cars available?"  Answer is always "No", and there is at least one other guy doing the same thing as me.  We team up & finally are down to just Thrifty & Budget, he goes to the latter, I the former & we both get the same answer once again.  "No cars, you'll have to wait until an extra car is returned, cleaned & gassed up."  I can't wait that long, but by now the Budget people have no one else in line, so I go there to ask for advice on alternative sources of rental cars.  The lady who had just told the other guy "No cars" 2 minutes earlier tells me, "Well, we do have a 12-passenger van, if you want that?"  What the hell, price was acceptable so I took it, and spent the next 24 hrs driving around NE Ohio in a gigantic Ford van all by myself.  Both of my meetings were well outside Cleveland (as in closer to Akron & Erie PA respectively) so I put some miles on.  Each of my customers took one look at it & just laughed, but it beat being stranded at the Cleveland Airport Rental Center for hours.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 04:51:42 PM »
"They made deals in his rental van,
And that's all right with me ..."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 11:17:48 AM »
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 11:24:01 AM »
Joel Selvin on this years nominees:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/14/DDBITBMBD.DTL

I agree with him that the subcategories are an issue (disco, hip-hop) but he's woefully mis-informed about Chic and Donna Summer, they're hardly one-hit wonders, esp where Chic's producing of other artists is concerned.

I think the DC5 and JCM are more than deserving, as are the Hollies, who've been on the ballot for years.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:04:13 PM »
Joel Selvin on this years nominees:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/11/14/DDBITBMBD.DTL

I agree with him that the subcategories are an issue (disco, hip-hop) but he's woefully mis-informed about Chic and Donna Summer, they're hardly one-hit wonders, esp where Chic's producing of other artists is concerned.

I think the DC5 and JCM are more than deserving, as are the Hollies, who've been on the ballot for years.

I think it's needlessly narrow to dismiss hip-hop and disco because they're not "rock."  Other subgenres are included -- funk, jazz, heavy metal -- so why not rap?  And for that matter, what's wrong with pop?  Selvin's idea of a music Hall is frighteningly white.  He might as well shutter its doors now since there hasn't been a new RAWK band of any impoortance to come along in a few years.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:34:02 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I think it's needlessly narrow to dismiss hip-hop and disco because they're not "rock."  Other subgenres are included -- funk, jazz, heavy metal -- so why not rap?  And for that matter, what's wrong with pop?

I agree with that statement, but at the same time -- don't call it the "Rock'n'Roll Hall of fame" if you're going to include everything under the sun. Semantics, yes, but you see what I mean. There are 50's R&B and country acts in the hall that influenced "Rock's" most fertile period, but I think critics (OK, middle-aged critics) look at, say,  the Beastie Boys and think: "who did THEY influence? Kid Rock?"  And yet there are deserving rock acts still not inducted. I think War belong in the Hall, and even 3DN, but Donna Summer, who I love... I dunno.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 05:35:02 PM »
I think it's needlessly narrow to dismiss hip-hop and disco because they're not "rock."  Other subgenres are included -- funk, jazz, heavy metal -- so why not rap?  And for that matter, what's wrong with pop?

I agree with that statement, but at the same time -- don't call it the "Rock'n'Roll Hall of fame" if you're going to include everything under the sun. Semantics, yes, but you see what I mean. There are 50's R&B and country acts in the hall that influenced "Rock's" most fertile period, but I think critics (OK, middle-aged critics) look at, say,  the Beastie Boys and think: "who did THEY influence? Kid Rock?"  And yet there are deserving rock acts still not inducted. I think War belong in the Hall, and even 3DN, but Donna Summer, who I love... I dunno.

Then it ought to be renamed The Popular Music Hall of Fame; I don't see any particularly strong reason to privilege rock over the other forms.  And seriously, if "Rock" is what it's all about, there will be no one left to induct in a few years except Nirvana, Pearl Jam, maybe Wilco, and maybe maybe Melissa Etheridge and Pat Benatar.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 07:18:08 PM »
And seriously, if "Rock" is what it's all about, there will be no one left to induct in a few years except Nirvana, Pearl Jam, maybe Wilco, and maybe maybe Melissa Etheridge and Pat Benatar.

well Benatar is already eligible, but I agree with your point.  I have often wondered who will be inducted in 2020, probably Green Day and then what?  Offspring?  311?  Sublime?  Beck?  Nobody sustains a career anymore.  Seriously.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:25 AM »
Well, the rockists and racists got their wish: Nearly all the white acts nominated got in (Madonna, JCM, DC5, Ventures, Leonard Cohen) and none of the black acts (Chic, Donna Summer, Afrika Bambaataa).  Purity rules!   ::)