Author Topic: R&R HOF inductees announced  (Read 34197 times)

SFGuy

2009 R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2009, 05:15:06 PM »
Nominees: Jeff Beck; Chic; Wanda Jackson; Little Anthony & the Imperials; Metallica; Run D.M.C; the Stooges; War; and Bobby Womack.

ETA: Nominees. My mistake. I read it wrong on a Yahoo blog. Thought it was the inductees.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1871810,00.html?cnn=yes

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/61966064
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 01:28:55 AM by SFGuy »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 2009 R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2009, 05:30:27 PM »
Jeff Beck; Chic; Wanda Jackson; Little Anthony & the Imperials; Metallica; Run D.M.C; the Stooges; War; and Bobby Womack.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1871810,00.html?cnn=yes

http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/61966064

I didn't read the article, but that looks like the entire list of nominees.  Did anyone get nommed & miss the cut?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »
Jeff Beck; Chic; Wanda Jackson; Little Anthony & the Imperials; Metallica; Run D.M.C; the Stooges; War; and Bobby Womack.

Well, *finally* War makes it in. And hooray for Bobby W!  Still no Hollies, though...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2009, 08:45:24 PM »

Well, *finally* War makes it in. And hooray for Bobby W!  Still no Hollies, though...

Actually no.  Must have been a cut & paste error by SFGuy.  Chic, Stooges & War did NOT get in, and Wanda Jackson gets in only as "an early influence".  I generally feel that they should all get in* but not sure I agree about Beck, as he's already in a Yardbird.

*unlike sports halls of fame, I have no idea what sort of 'standard' you'd be lowering to have all these R'n'R nominees get in.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 08:48:35 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »

Actually no.  Must have been a cut & paste error by SFGuy.  Chic, Stooges & War did NOT get in, and Wanda Jackson gets in only as "an early influence".  I generally feel that they should all get in* but not sure I agree about Beck, as he's already in a Yardbird.

*unlike sports halls of fame, I have no idea what sort of 'standard' you'd be lowering to have all these R'n'R nominees get in.

Incredible that the Stooges aren't already in, let alone having missed the cut again this year. I'd bet there are a number of folks second-guessing their votes in the wake of Ron Asheton's death. I would not be surprised if next year they're a shoo-in.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2009, 10:07:01 PM »
Sorry to see that they stopped the War.  (Couldn't resist.)  Next year I'll continue urging for them, the Monkees, and Three Dog Night - and will start urging for Sade.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2009, 01:21:11 AM »

Oops sorry. Those were the nominees.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2009, 09:57:16 AM »
Next year I'll ... start urging for Sade.

Is there a lounge HOF?  ;)  I love her, really, but Rock'n'Roll?  even less so than any of the disco or hip-hop acts we've argued for previously. Might as well nominate Kenny G. They really need to change the name of the thing.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2009, 10:37:33 AM »
They really need to change the name of the thing.

You just seized on the point I'm trying to make.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2009, 10:42:05 AM »

Sorry, I sometimes miss irony without emoticons.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2009, 10:45:33 AM »

I'm not being ironic!  I seriously think Sade was (were?) important in the development of popular music, and "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" is inaccurate in reflecting the contributions made by artists working outside the rock milieu.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2009, 10:55:02 AM »

I'm not being ironic!  I seriously think Sade was (were?) important in the development of popular music, and "Rock & Roll Hall of Fame" is inaccurate in reflecting the contributions made by artists working outside the rock milieu.

OK now you're losing me... Again, I like her a lot but "important in the development of popular music" is overdoing it -- gee, if it weren't for Sade we wouldn't have... Basia!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2009, 11:09:02 AM »

OK now you're losing me... Again, I like her a lot but "important in the development of popular music" is overdoing it -- gee, if it weren't for Sade we wouldn't have... Basia!

I can see Gaz's point, and pretty much agree.  Is Billie Holliday in as an early influence?  I think so.  Then who could she have been an influence on, if not Sade?  So I don't think the Kenny G comparison is apt. 

And I know you were being sarcastic, but Basia predated Sade by a few years in Matt Bianco before going solo. 

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2009, 11:35:12 AM »

I can see Gaz's point, and pretty much agree.  Is Billie Holliday in as an early influence?  I think so.  Then who could she have been an influence on, if not Sade?  So I don't think the Kenny G comparison is apt. 

And I know you were being sarcastic, but Basia predated Sade by a few years in Matt Bianco before going solo. 

well...no.   Early influences should definitely be in there, but Sade doesn't get in just because Billie Holliday influenced her.  By that logic Madelyn Peyroux gets in too.  Sorry, I'm just not following that.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2009, 12:21:20 AM »

well...no.   Early influences should definitely be in there, but Sade doesn't get in just because Billie Holliday influenced her.  By that logic Madelyn Peyroux gets in too.  Sorry, I'm just not following that.

I think Mark was just trying to direct traffic away from the "Sade = Kenny G b/c they both are lite" accident.  I'll reiterate: I think the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame needs to be redubbed something on the order of the Popular Music Hall of Fame and that it should reflect the best of all pop-music genres, from rock to pop to R&B to heavy metal to jazz to funk to country to quiet storm.  Sade was, IMHO, the best of her/their class.