Author Topic: R&R HOF inductees announced  (Read 34199 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: R&R HOF inductees announced
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 09:31:09 AM »
(PS: OTOH, Gamble and Huff are receiving a "non-performers" induction.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 09:31:12 AM »
Well, the rockists and racists got their wish: Nearly all the white acts nominated got in (Madonna, JCM, DC5, Ventures, Leonard Cohen) and none of the black acts (Chic, Donna Summer, Afrika Bambaataa).  Purity rules!   ::)

wow, talk about hyperbole...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 11:07:21 PM »
Well, the rockists and racists got their wish: Nearly all the white acts nominated got in (Madonna, JCM, DC5, Ventures, Leonard Cohen) and none of the black acts (Chic, Donna Summer, Afrika Bambaataa).  Purity rules!   ::)

Joel Selvin got his wish. No black acts got in (calling Summer a "one hit wonder" despite getting past the disco era successfully shows his bias).

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 11:32:03 AM »
This year's nominees announced:

Run-D.M.C. could "Walk This Way" into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The 1980s rap act, along with Metallica and the Stooges are among the nine nominees for next year's hall of fame class, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation announced Monday. The other nominees are guitarist Jeff Beck, singer Wanda Jackson, Little Anthony and the Imperials, War, Bobby Womack, and disco and R&B group Chic, the only nominee back from last year's ballot.

(Five of the nine will make the cut)

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/09/22/entertainment/e080422D21.DTL&tsp=1

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2008, 11:37:31 AM »
Rock HOF: Stevie Ray Vaughan first-year eligibility and not nominated!!!  Add'l article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20080922/en_top_eo/30219;_ylt=A0WTUdpr5NdI9lIBMCEnHL8C
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 11:39:42 AM by Wayback »

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 11:43:12 AM »
Rock HOF: Stevie Ray Vaughan first-year eligibility and not nominated!!!  Add'l article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20080922/en_top_eo/30219;_ylt=A0WTUdpr5NdI9lIBMCEnHL8C

I think the R'n'R HOF has now entered the 'mature' territory in which they've covered most of the obvious choices and now are spending their time backfilling.  To me the big news is that War finally got a nom.  I have no problem with SRV waiting his turn until both War & the Doobies (still awaiting their nom) get in.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 12:26:55 PM »

I think the R'n'R HOF has now entered the 'mature' territory in which they've covered most of the obvious choices and now are spending their time backfilling.  To me the big news is that War finally got a nom.  I have no problem with SRV waiting his turn until both War & the Doobies (still awaiting their nom) get in.

Agreed, to which I'd add the Hollies and Johnny Rivers.  But the SRV is a bit of a shocker, if only because we know how HOF voters (in whatever field) love dead people.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 03:15:49 PM »
Not in Rock HOF: Yes, Moody Blues, Steve Miller, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson, Brian Eno, Gram Parsons, Chicago, Tom Waits, ELO, ELP, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Joe Cocker, Todd Rundgren, Cat Stevens, Boz Scaggs, Kiss, Rush, Neil Diamond, Monkees, Blood Sweat & Tears, 3 Dog Night, Turtles, Tina Turner ...

And, did you notice last sentence in below article, "For the first time ever, tickets to the event (Induction April 4) will be made available to the public."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20080922/en_top_eo/30219;_ylt=A0WTUeyx6ddIeMEAiQCYExkF

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

Agreed, to which I'd add the Hollies and Johnny Rivers.  But the SRV is a bit of a shocker, if only because we know how HOF voters (in whatever field) love dead people.

Yep, dying is often the best thing you can do for your career. 

I'm also surprised Ringo didn't get nommed for 2009.  Solo Beatles have been getting inducted precisely every five years - John in 1994, Paul in 1999, and George in 2004.  Of course 2 out of the 3 were dead at the time, so...

But seriously, what the heck is the Rock Hall gonna be doing in about 5 more years?  I defy anyone to give me a full slate of 9 worthy induction nominees whose careers got started from 1988 onwards, much less full slates at the rate of one per year.  From here on out I think the hall will be almost exclusively backfilling.

For instance, right now in 2008 it is only 10 more years until artists who got started in 1993 are eligible.  I can't think of any prior inductee (ETA: other than Bonnie Raitt) whose nomination depended on work in the last decade before their eligilibility, as compared with their work done in the first 15 years of that 25 year period.  So there's every reason to think that we should have a pretty good idea of who should get in from the class of 1993.  Other than maybe Green Day is there anyone not just from 1993 but from the entire rest of the 90's?  I think 1992 was really the last year - with Pearl Jam & Nirvana - that any artists popped up who are slam dunks for induction (or reasonably close to a slam dunk anyway).
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:29:41 PM by mshray »

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 03:33:09 PM »
Not in Rock HOF: Yes, Moody Blues, Steve Miller, Genesis, Peter Gabriel, Willie Nelson, Brian Eno, Gram Parsons, Chicago, Tom Waits, ELO, ELP, Jethro Tull, Alice Cooper, Joe Cocker, Todd Rundgren, Cat Stevens, Boz Scaggs, Kiss, Rush, Neil Diamond, Monkees, Blood Sweat & Tears, 3 Dog Night, Turtles, Tina Turner ...

And, did you notice last sentence in below article, "For the first time ever, tickets to the event (Induction April 4) will be made available to the public."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20080922/en_top_eo/30219;_ylt=A0WTUeyx6ddIeMEAiQCYExkF

The Dave Clark 5 got in before the Moodies!?  Can we blame these balloting irregularities on Diebold? It IS Ohio afterall.  ;) ;) ;)

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 03:44:07 PM »

The Dave Clark 5 got in before the Moodies!?  Can we blame these balloting irregularities on Diebold? It IS Ohio afterall.  ;) ;) ;)

well, it's the Rock'n'roll HOF, not the ProgRock HOF  ;)  I certainly think the Moodies deserve enshrinement, but I think the DC5 should've been in a LOT sooner than last year.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 06:53:45 PM »
I'm becoming more and more convinced of the need to rename it from the "Rock & Roll" HOF to something more neutral.  "The Popular Music" HOF would be more accurate, but the name lacks punch.  But something has to happen since, as you guys have noted, there have been almost no significant rock bands debuting from '92 on.  Future enshrinees will come largely from R&B and hip-hop: Tupac, Biggie, Dr. Dre, Jay-Z, Missy Elliot, Eminem.  The only rock act with a chance - and I cringe at saying this - is Sheryl Crow.

Having said that, I am delighted that War is finally on the ballot, and I don't take back my comment from last year on the "rockists and racists."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 07:38:11 PM »
Perhaps Ringo can get into this other HOF, for his work in "Caveman" ;)
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080922/ap_en_ot/advertising_walk_of_fame_1

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 09:13:54 AM »
The only rock act with a chance - and I cringe at saying this - is Sheryl Crow.

I'm probably the closest thing to a Sheryl Crow fan on this board, and even I cringe at that thought.

all i wanna do is have some fun
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »
The only rock act with a chance - and I cringe at saying this - is Sheryl Crow.

I'm probably the closest thing to a Sheryl Crow fan on this board, and even I cringe at that thought.

all i wanna do is have some fun

well, if everybody she's slept with votes, she's a shoo-in!