Author Topic: Welcome to the 10@10 club  (Read 72221 times)

MGBMAC

• View Profile
Re: Welcome to the 10@10 club
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2009, 04:00:57 AM »
Thanks Geoff.  I lived in San Mateo in 1986 and 1987.  I listened to the 10@10 on KFOG and I actually have 2 1987 shows taped on an old cassette.  I often record the  current shows on my computer and then put them on my cell phone and listen to them when I work out. Your site is terrific as I now can find other 10@10s each day and choose from different years.  Thanks for all of your good work!  Jim

Rip

• View Profile
Brrrrrr
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2009, 08:16:24 AM »
Thanks for adding me.
It's cold here in Michigan, but worry not-I hear progress is being made and I'll
post more details after things are more defined. Stay tuned. -Rip

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Brrrrrr
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »
I just love a cryptic post early in the morning!  ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Rip

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2009, 08:54:13 AM »
Cryptic? Just shovelling some snow your way! ;)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2009, 09:00:57 AM »
Cryptic? Just shovelling some snow your way! ;)

Well, shovelling something, anyway. :D

Just kidding, Rip. Greetings--tell me, how did you happen to find this little corner of the intarweb?
Let's get right to it.

Rip

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2009, 04:12:13 PM »
Got it from Dave Morey who lives north of me here in Mi.
I'm sure I would have never found this place without his help. I'm just a geezer who played bass in a few groups back in the 70s and 80s and Dave is helping me learn a few things about radio production. He grew up about a mile from me as a kid before he moved West. He is a great guy - glad he came back to Michigan. Sorry about the cryptic stuff. Once Dave is back on, I will be less cryptic....
-Rip

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2009, 04:39:53 PM »
I'm sure I would have never found this place without his help. I'm just a geezer who played bass in a few groups back in the 70s and 80s and Dave is helping me learn a few things about radio production. He grew up about a mile from me as a kid before he moved West. He is a great guy - glad he came back to Michigan. Sorry about the cryptic stuff. Once Dave is back on, I will be less cryptic....
-Rip

Welcome Rip.  Bass player, and someone who's interested in radio production... hmmm, we got those.  You should fit right in.

And tell Dave I said "Hey".
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2009, 09:36:31 PM »
-Rip

Cool--we're glad you found us. No worries about being obscure, you just kind of caught us off-guard. Give him our best--his replacement is doing a stellar job, but not the same as when Dave was in the driver's seat.

Who'd you play bass with? Anyone we'd have heard of out on the west coast?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 11:05:58 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

Rip

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
Mostly unknown groups in the Detroit area and mostly in the 70s and 80s. I do sit in with a few now and then, but don't go gigging these days as I'm getting too old to be carting around amps PAs etc. I played bass for Syreeta Wright in the late 60s BEFORE she got her Motown contract and married Stevie Morris, but that was about it. Unfortunatel I hear she had passed a few years back in the L.A. area.

I look at radio production as an art and I'm certainly at the beginning of the learning curve and fortunate to have Dave to teach me that it's more than just a voice and more than just playin' tunes. I'm an electronics geek and "ham" radio op (recently retired from 40+ years in printed circuit design and electronic component purchasing).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2009, 08:02:54 PM »
Mostly unknown groups in the Detroit area and mostly in the 70s and 80s. I do sit in with a few now and then, but don't go gigging these days as I'm getting too old to be carting around amps PAs etc. I played bass for Syreeta Wright in the late 60s BEFORE she got her Motown contract and married Stevie Morris, but that was about it. Unfortunatel I hear she had passed a few years back in the L.A. area.

Hi, Rip, and welcome.  I have a few early Syreeta tunes - "I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel for You," a cover of the Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" - but don't know the rest of her catalog.  Sorry to hear she's passed on.

Did you ever sit in with the Flaming Ember?  I was briefly in touch with the singer/drummer and got the impression they'd stayed in the Detroit area.  (I used to write about music here and there.)

Cheers,
Gaz.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Rip

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2009, 06:14:03 AM »
Hi, Rip, and welcome.  I have a few early Syreeta tunes - "I Can't Give Back the Love I Feel for You," a cover of the Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" - but don't know the rest of her catalog.  Sorry to hear she's passed on.

Did you ever sit in with the Flaming Ember?  I was briefly in touch with the singer/drummer and got the impression they'd stayed in the Detroit area.  (I used to write about music here and there.)

Cheers,
Gaz.

OK on the Syreeta tunes. Yes the last I had heard she had moved to London for awhile and then heard she had
passed from Cancer. She was heavy ito singing Gospel/Jazz when I met her and being a North Woodward boy who grew up on R&R it was quite a change for me but a great challenge to learn some R&B to broaden my music horizons.

I do remember the group called The Flaming Embers but have never heard them live. Both Glenn and Gary Quackenbush (from SRC) live nearby and I have had a chance to play with them and more recently with a cover band called "No One Else" - they are on YouTube if you're curious. That's about it-I still play but am not
actively seeking regular band/gigs. -Rip
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 07:19:50 AM by RGMike »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »
Hi everyone...
My name is Melissa (you might've seen me around on Annalisa's Facebook page) - I've chosen Sundaygal as my screen name here because...well...I love Punk/Postpunk/New Wave amongst other musical genres.  I was born and raised in San Francisco - woo hoo!  I'm excited to be here and thanks for having me!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 09:10:54 AM »
Hi everyone...
My name is Melissa (you might've seen me around on Annalisa's Facebook page) - I've chosen Sundaygal as my screen name here because...well...I love Punk/Postpunk/New Wave amongst other musical genres.  I was born and raised in San Francisco - woo hoo!  I'm excited to be here and thanks for having me!

Hi Melissa, welcome to our little playground!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
Hi everyone...

Hi Melissa, welcome to our little playground!

indeed, welcome sundaygirl!  (anyone named after a Blondie song is a friend of mine!)  Check out the 10@10 Glossary thread, we have our own language sometimes. We're a bit snarky -- and definitely music-geeky -- but basically harmless.  ;)  We love it when AL (that's our abbreviation for Annalisa) plays songs rarely-or-never heard on 10@10 before, and lately (thanks to the Facebook request-a-tune option) that's been happening a lot... and we couldn't be happier.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller. I tried the register link a few months ago and then had to email Geoff to activate my account. Man, this is the most exclusive club I've ever joined.  ;)

My name is Nate, 35, and I live in the East Bay. I've been listening to 10@10 since about 2004. Dave hooked me on Translator (is that a "trina"?) during an early morning drive to go surfing at Ocean Beach. He's my hero forever because he gave me a birthday shoutout just before retiring.

My link to radio is kinda funny. I grew up in the Central Vallye, listening to classical music until junior high. Never cared about pop so I completely missed the 80's. Started listening to the radio and all I found was Color Me Badd, Paula Abdul, etc. (besides country, christian, and spanish) and turned it off again.

In high school, I found KDJK-95.1 from Modesto and loved it. Shows like Metal Shop, Rockline, Dr. Ruth, and 5 pm Get the Led Out got me really interested in rock (classic up to heavy metal). Nirvana was #1 in the Rockline countdown forever and things were hopping.

http://www.modestoradiomuseum.org/KDJK%20history.html

I got into the college radio station after leaving for school. When I moved up to the bay area for work, KFOG was the closest thing besides KUSF.

I really like 10@10, especially when AL or DM played songs I'd never heard. It's hilarious to hear 80's songs that my wife is familiar with but I'm hearing for the first time. Or those songs you overheard just once at a friend's house -- "oh THAT'S who sang that song!"

Things I don't like as much about AL's approach: repeating the same audio clips (sinead disses the pope, "those hep Stray Cats", "you're no jack kennedy", "it's called The Internet"), generic blues in every decade (SRV) -- although Dave did this too, too many "themed" shows, and she won't play Metallica or some other Dave breakouts. Things I do like about her: playing other non-rock breakouts like LL Cool J at least for humor/flavor's sake, her general creativity and desire to avoid a formula.

Because of my age, I prefer 80's/90's shows but I like an all motown 60's set too (does AL do that like Dave did?) Thanks for letting me join and I'll be glad to join the chat occasionally!