Author Topic: Welcome to the 10@10 club  (Read 72581 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to the 10@10 club
« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
A little late to the party, but let me add my voice welcoming Sir Dischead (gotta be careful of my typing there) to our group. Sounds as though you are well qualified to join this motley assemblage of music and radio OCD practitioners.

I assume the "disc" in your handle refers to the vinyl kind, but I have to tell you that your avatar is identical to the very first frisbee I ever owned (and still do, albeit in somewhat more battered condition).

Also, I too have read the Richard Neer book, and thought it was a really great read. (I owned it once upon a time, but loaned my copy to a friend and as is the way of loaned books, never got it back. Oh well.)  Really wish Vin Scelsa would write his memoirs sometime. He's getting up there too, and I'd hate for him to go without putting his experiences down on paper...errr, microchip.
Jim aka Urth

PS If you want to know any more about the rest of us, feel free to read through the previous messages in this thread.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44:50 PM »
I too have read the Richard Neer book, and thought it was a really great read. (I owned it once upon a time, but loaned my copy to a friend and as is the way of loaned books, never got it back. Oh well.)  Really wish Vin Scelsa would write his memoirs sometime. He's getting up there too, and I'd hate for him to go without putting his experiences down on paper...errr, microchip.

TANC: this book will be published next month -- of special interest to those of us who grew up in the NYC area...

http://www.amazon.com/York-City-Radio-Images-America/dp/0738598097/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1364240432&sr=1-1&keywords=New+York+City+Radio%3A+Images+of+America
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2013, 08:17:14 PM »
Welcome, Dischead!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2013, 10:39:23 PM »
I assume the "disc" in your handle refers to the vinyl kind, but I have to tell you that your avatar is identical to the very first frisbee I ever owned (and still do, albeit in somewhat more battered condition).

Although I still have all my LPs, as well as my 45s, as my avatar reveals my nym is indeed a
reference to the plastic flatball.

It's not the best picture, but look carefully at both it and your own disc.  It's not a Wham-O disc,
but a "Mystery Y."  There aren't that many of them, so if you really have one, it's a rare item.
It predates the existence of the Wham-O Mfg. Corporation.  The "mystery" part is that no one
knows what company made them.  The "Y" comes from the shirt of the person on the right-hand
side of the disc.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2013, 11:09:45 PM »
The most interesting thing Dischead (he has a name, I'll let him share it) told me during my aggressive
interrogation, was that he claims he still uses a modem!

Oh no!  I've been outed!

I'm not a luddite, I just play one on the Internet...

Yes, it's true I'm still using an analog modem with a dial-up service.  I still use 3.5" floppy disks,
VHS video tapes, and my collection of 150+ 10@10 sets is on cassette.  I haven't completely
forgone the luxuries of modern technology -- I shave with a single-blade injection safety razor.

No, I do not belong to the Church of the Latest and the Greatest, Her Lady of the Shiny Bauble.
The funny thing is, I'm willing to wager that I used e-mail and the Internet ARPAnet before
before anyone else here did.  Eventually the leading edge becomes the trailing edge, but if it
still works for me, then I'll keep using it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #140 on: March 26, 2013, 06:56:34 AM »
The most interesting thing Dischead (he has a name, I'll let him share it) told me during my aggressive
interrogation, was that he claims he still uses a modem!

Oh no!  I've been outed!

I'm not a luddite, I just play one on the Internet...

Yes, it's true I'm still using an analog modem with a dial-up service.  I still use 3.5" floppy disks,
VHS video tapes, and my collection of 150+ 10@10 sets is on cassette.  I haven't completely
forgone the luxuries of modern technology -- I shave with a single-blade injection safety razor.

No, I do not belong to the Church of the Latest and the Greatest, Her Lady of the Shiny Bauble.
The funny thing is, I'm willing to wager that I used e-mail and the Internet ARPAnet before
before anyone else here did.  Eventually the leading edge becomes the trailing edge, but if it
still works for me, then I'll keep using it.
OK, I'll play.  I had (still have?) a CompuServe email address, and was on the WELL.  I'm not good at remembering what year that means, but late 80's or so I would guess.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 26, 2013, 04:13:45 PM »

Although I still have all my LPs, as well as my 45s, as my avatar reveals my nym is indeed a
reference to the plastic flatball.

It's not the best picture, but look carefully at both it and your own disc.  It's not a Wham-O disc,
but a "Mystery Y."  There aren't that many of them, so if you really have one, it's a rare item.
It predates the existence of the Wham-O Mfg. Corporation.  The "mystery" part is that no one
knows what company made them.  The "Y" comes from the shirt of the person on the right-hand
side of the disc.

Guess mine is not quite as identical as I thought--it's plainly marked as a Wham-O. Got it as a premium by sending in several empty Kool-aid packages some time in the 60s. Couldn't tell you what year exactly.

I do try to get out and play disc golf whenever I can--there are a few good courses around here (I live in Oregon, outside Portland) and I have a couple of Bay Area pals that like to play several courses down there.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 26, 2013, 10:36:31 PM »
OK, I'll play.  I had (still have?) a CompuServe email address, and was on the WELL.  I'm not good at remembering what year that means, but late 80's or so I would guess.

The ARPAnet mention should be a big clue.  Sorry, you're not even in the
same decade.

I think people would be surprised to find out just how open things were
back in those early years.  But you needed a computer terminal and a
modem (300 baud in those days), which were not common items.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »

The ARPAnet mention should be a big clue.  Sorry, you're not even in the
same decade.

I think people would be surprised to find out just how open things were
back in those early years.  But you needed a computer terminal and a
modem (300 baud in those days), which were not common items.
I'll take your word for it.  I had a 300 baud modem too!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »
Latest Member: soundwavestv

Well it took 3+ years, but I'm not the new kid on the block anymore!