Author Topic: The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread  (Read 230216 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Rant & Vent about the Right Wing thread
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2005, 11:03:32 PM »
"put the presidency and the process on a higher plain"

George W, the High Plains Drifter.

As the Testy Copy Editors message board holds as canon, hundreds of newspapers use AP copy unedited.  And shouldn't.  Same goes for Reuters.  Can't wait to see how many places run this as above.

Meanwhile, that fucker who's nominated now for the Supes is W's attempt to force the moment to its crisis.  Or, in a metaphor he'd more likely get, High Noon.  Here's where we find out if America genuinely wants a theocracy or not.  When my lease here runs out, my options look like this (not in order, I emphasize) : New York; Pittsburgh; Boston; San Francisco; or Montreal.

I don't want to have to move Montreal to the front of the list.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
O, Canada!
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2005, 09:41:42 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
"put the presidency and the process on a higher plain"

George W, the High Plains Drifter.

As the Testy Copy Editors message board holds as canon, hundreds of newspapers use AP copy unedited.  And shouldn't.  Same goes for Reuters.  Can't wait to see how many places run this as above.

Meanwhile, that fucker who's nominated now for the Supes is W's attempt to force the moment to its crisis.  Or, in a metaphor he'd more likely get, High Noon.  Here's where we find out if America genuinely wants a theocracy or not.  When my lease here runs out, my options look like this (not in order, I emphasize) : New York; Pittsburgh; Boston; San Francisco; or Montreal.

I don't want to have to move Montreal to the front of the list.

High Noon indeed, with much longer-lasting consequences!  Montreal is cool; I prefer Toronto, but I like SF, and don't want to move!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2005, 09:14:49 AM »
Best news from last night's elections results across the US:

In Dover, Pennsylvania, where a court battle is raging over the teaching of an "intelligent design" alternative to evolution, voters ousted eight of the nine incumbents on the local school board.

Replacing them will be a slate of board members who call for removing intelligent design, which they say is a version of creationism and brings religion into the teaching of science, from the curriculum.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2005, 09:18:29 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

In Dover, Pennsylvania, where a court battle is raging over the teaching of an "intelligent design" alternative to evolution, voters ousted eight of the nine incumbents on the local school board.

Replacing them will be a slate of board members who call for removing intelligent design, which they say is a version of creationism and brings religion into the teaching of science, from the curriculum.

On the other hand, ID won in Kansas.  Win one, lose one.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2005, 09:53:47 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

I wrote Kansas off a long time ago, so no loss in my scorebook.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2005, 10:27:54 AM »

Agreed. This is something like the third time in the past 5 years (or less?) that Kansas has modified their curriculum to the whims of the religious right. They're a lost cause.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
the IDiots
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2005, 11:03:11 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Agreed. This is something like the third time in the past 5 years (or less?) that Kansas has modified their curriculum to the whims of the religious right. They're a lost cause.

I think the interesting thing is that the Dover populace basically got woken up to what sort of coup had taken place, and threw the bums out.  Hopefully the same thing will happen in Kansas.  These stealth coups are happening everywhere.  In the United Methodist Church, the Judicial Board (analagous to supreme court) upheld a minister who refused membership to church because the person is gay.  The UMW Bishops however, were totally taken by surprise, and have unanimously condemned the verdict.  The fundies need to be stopped at the local level, before it goes too far.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2005, 09:00:27 AM »
Do any of y'all have Showtime on cable? because this episode of their series "Masters of Horror", the Joe Dante-directed "Homecoming", sounds incredible:

http://www.villagevoice.com/film/0548,lim,70455,20.html

an anti-Bush zombie movie! sounds like my kinda flick.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2005, 07:14:58 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
oh where, oh where has my country gone? the one with the little brown tail?

"Our country" never existed.  Like Prince said while no one was paying attention: "In this life - you're on your own!" I truly do believe that America will never live up to its promise until evangelical Christianity (as well as the evangelical strains of all the other transnational religions) goes the way of the dodo.

And I don't pretend to claim full American citizenship, not while America gives me insufficient rights.  I'm a citizen of the world, presently placed in America, believing in the American dream while not pretending that America wants that dream to come true for anyone.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2005, 11:37:06 AM »
Jon Carroll's brilliant rejoinder to all this absurd "war on Christmas" crap the fundies have been spewing:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/16/DDGQIF5ORB1.DTL

And while I'm at it... how can Bill O'Reilly even get up in  the morning anymore, now that Stephen Colbert effectively neuters him every night on the "Cohl-bare Reh-pohr"?  That show is genius.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas
« Reply #71 on: December 16, 2005, 12:13:06 PM »
Jon Carroll's brilliant rejoinder to all this absurd "war on Christmas" crap the fundies have been spewing:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/12/16/DDGQIF5ORB1.DTL

And while I'm at it... how can Bill O'Reilly even get up in  the morning anymore, now that Stephen Colbert effectively neuters him every night on the "Cohl-bare Reh-pohr"?  That show is genius.

We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, and please buy our beer.

Old line from a Stan Freeburg bit.  I'd love to get my hands on an MP3 of that, but nothing on iTunes.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Chris
« Reply #72 on: December 16, 2005, 12:22:48 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
We wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, we wish you a merry Christmas, and please buy our beer.

Old line from a Stan Freeburg bit.  I'd love to get my hands on an MP3 of that, but nothing on iTunes.

I have it on the Dr Demento Xmas CD, which also includes Freberg's equally brilliant "Xmas Dragnet".

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 16, 2005, 01:24:54 PM »

I have it on the Dr Demento Xmas CD, which also includes Freberg's equally brilliant "Xmas Dragnet".

So, I guess I need to come over sometime to make an MP3 of this and the Byrds tune you have, eh?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 16, 2005, 01:27:53 PM »

So, I guess I need to come over sometime to make an MP3 of this and the Byrds tune you have, eh?

You're always welcome.  Or I can bring both to the next Club gathering.