Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 264020 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #225 on: November 21, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »
I just found out that Kaiser does NOT give a paid holiday on the day after Thanksgiving! So I've submitted a very last minute request for a vacay day... but jeezus! I have never heard of a company not giving folks the Day After Turkey.  Is anyone else in this situation?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 21, 2007, 10:09:38 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I just found out that Kaiser does NOT give a paid holiday on the day after Thanksgiving! So I've submitted a very last minute request for a vacay day... but jeezus! I have never heard of a company not giving folks the Day After Turkey.  Is anyone else in this situation?

In past jobs, I've had to work that day.  I'm working Friday but got today off in exchange.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 21, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

In past jobs, I've had to work that day.  I'm working Friday but got today off in exchange.

Obviously, when I worked in retail and radio (which are now the same thing) I worked that day; but I'd never heard of a straight-ahead office situation where it wasn't a holiday.

My previous employer, Blue Shield, is actually giving people Xmas Eve AND New Years Eve (Mondays) this year -- two 4-day weekends in a row. But not Kaiser.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 22, 2007, 12:33:02 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Obviously, when I worked in retail and radio (which are now the same thing) I worked that day; but I'd never heard of a straight-ahead office situation where it wasn't a holiday.

My previous employer, Blue Shield, is actually giving people Xmas Eve AND New Years Eve (Mondays) this year -- two 4-day weekends in a row. But not Kaiser.

I have this Friday as a paid day off BUT...Dec 24 and 31 my office is closed and we are unpaid or need to use vacay. After I use vacay for those two plus the 26th which I want off, my vacay bal goes negative. I'm glad to have a job but jeeez. Times are hard. I need to go think about things I'm thankful for.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #229 on: January 15, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
Just made my reservations for NYC in April -- could not get one of the small ($125) rooms at my usual hotel, the Chelsea Savoy -- they said the cheapest they had was $295!  So I went to the travel sites (where I've never had much luck before) and got a room at the Hotel Pennsylvania for $165 per -- still quite a bargain for midtown Manhattan.  So kudos to cheaptickets.com (who are apparently owned by Orbitz).

But the odd thing about this apparent role-reversal is that the woman at the Savoy said mid-April was their "High season" -- huh? They had plenty of cheap rooms in June last year, which I'd assume is a higher "high season" than April. Are there really more tourists in NYC the second week of April?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 15, 2008, 10:14:36 AM »
Just made my reservations for NYC in April -- could not get one of the small ($125) rooms at my usual hotel, the Chelsea Savoy -- they said the cheapest they had was $295!  So I went to the travel sites (where I've never had much luck before) and got a room at the Hotel Pennsylvania for $165 per -- still quite a bargain for midtown Manhattan.  So kudos to cheaptickets.com (who are apparently owned by Orbitz).

But the odd thing about this apparent role-reversal is that the woman at the Savoy said mid-April was their "High season" -- huh? They had plenty of cheap rooms in June last year, which I'd assume is a higher "high season" than April. Are there really more tourists in NYC the second week of April?

Not as far as I know!  I'm really stunned to hear this.  Mike, I should have just offered you my place since I'm going to be out of town much of that time, except (a) you'd have to content with my erratic roommate, and (b) you'd be deep in Brooklyn rather than in the heart of things in Manhattan.

Hope we can grab dinner Monday the 14th!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 15, 2008, 10:24:47 AM »

Not as far as I know!  I'm really stunned to hear this.  Mike, I should have just offered you my place since I'm going to be out of town much of that time, except (a) you'd have to content with my erratic roommate, and (b) you'd be deep in Brooklyn rather than in the heart of things in Manhattan.

Hope we can grab dinner Monday the 14th!

We surely will, and thanks for the offer. The Penn is close enuf to Chelsea/Village and in fact I nearly stayed there in '04 but just as I was about to call them I discovered the Savoy by a happy accident.  Being across from MSG could be a good thing, if the Rangers are in the playoffs -- maybe I can scalp a ticket.  The Sharks are in town this month, BTW, to do their every-couple-of-years swing thru Rangers/Islanders/Devils.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 28, 2008, 07:52:38 AM »
All-Day meeting today -- I'll catch the beginning of Bob's set, but I'll miss the return of Ginger as well as Dave and Judge.  Have fun, folks!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 28, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
Last week I heard a radio promo for a website you could enter some info into and it would crunch data to provide candidate info relative to your POV on issues. Any clues on the URL? Sound familiar?
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 28, 2008, 10:08:55 AM »
Last week I heard a radio promo for a website you could enter some info into and it would crunch data to provide candidate info relative to your POV on issues. Any clues on the URL? Sound familiar?

Sounds like Glassbooth.com. Someone here blogged about it last week I think. I haven't checked it out yet, but my wife did and she said it came back and said the ideal candidate for her was... Mike Gravel.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 28, 2008, 12:21:53 PM »

Sounds like Glassbooth.com. Someone here blogged about it last week I think. I haven't checked it out yet, but my wife did and she said it came back and said the ideal candidate for her was... Mike Gravel.

Although polls like this are frustrating for their lack of nuance, this one was interesting. Me:

Mike Gravel shares a 79% similarity with your beliefs.

But including the dropouts, here's my full list:

Kucinich = 82%
Gravel = 79%
Clinton = 78%
Richardson = 76%
Edwards = 74%
Obama = 72%
Dodd = 70%
Biden = 69%
McCain = 55%
Thompson = 52%
Huckabee = 51%
Romney = 50%
Paul = 49%
Giuliani = 46%
Hunter = 40%
Tancredo = 35%

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 29, 2008, 09:12:33 AM »
Just made my reservations for NYC in April

Mike, do you want comp tickets to see a Queen tribute band called Almost Queen at BB King's on April 8?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 29, 2008, 09:39:35 AM »
Just made my reservations for NYC in April

Mike, do you want comp tickets to see a Queen tribute band called Almost Queen at BB King's on April 8?

I'll see enuf almost-queens in Chelsea ;)

Actually, thanks, but i arrive on the 9th.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 01, 2008, 12:49:22 PM »
Memo to Gaz: I'm working all day Sat, so I'll be with you for Casey's last hour and beyond, tho' posting may be limited (I've been saddled with an annoyingly labor-intensive project).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 01, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »
Memo to Gaz: I'm working all day Sat, so I'll be with you for Casey's last hour and beyond, tho' posting may be limited (I've been saddled with an annoyingly labor-intensive project).

You should stop going into labor like that.

I'm in for AT40.  It really does me good to have an excuse to get up early on Saturday (it's a Saturday, it's a Saturday).