Author Topic: I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life  (Read 268907 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
I'm tryin' to tell you somethin' 'bout my life
« Reply #210 on: October 30, 2007, 10:08:41 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
A little after 8 tonight we had a 5.6 shaker, epicenter in San Jose. Did you feel it in SF? I was on the phone with someone in the city next to me and she was saying OMG there's and earthquake and it was 2-3 seconds before I felt it. Windows shook and there was noise with this one. Cool!

Did not feel it where I was, tho' someone interviewed on SFGate said they felt it near City College.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
quake
« Reply #211 on: October 31, 2007, 09:26:18 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
A little after 8 tonight we had a 5.6 shaker, epicenter in San Jose. Did you feel it in SF? I was on the phone with someone in the city next to me and she was saying OMG there's and earthquake and it was 2-3 seconds before I felt it. Windows shook and there was noise with this one. Cool!
Did not feel it where I was, tho' someone interviewed on SFGate said they felt it near City College.

great grist for my earth science mill!
http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Maps/SF_Bay.html
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 31, 2007, 09:41:52 AM »

I was sitting in my dining room eating dinner, and yes, we definitely felt it. It wasn't excessively strong, but it sure lasted awhile. More of a roller than the usual short, sharp shock.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 31, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »
For you wordsmiths:
If a house interior is all black and white, what might be an alternate way to describe that? Monochromatic or chromatic are words I looked at but don't fit.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 31, 2007, 12:28:49 PM »
For you wordsmiths:
If a house interior is all black and white, what might be an alternate way to describe that? Monochromatic or chromatic are words I looked at but don't fit.

Checked my Funk and Wagnalls, and monochromatic or monochrome are about the best I can come up with. If they don't fit because of space issues, cut a different word.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 31, 2007, 06:11:24 PM »
For you wordsmiths:

How about "two-tone"?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 01, 2007, 07:48:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
For you wordsmiths:

How about "two-tone"?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 01, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
For you wordsmiths:

How about "two-tone"?

Heh.  I actually had this in mind:

“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 01, 2007, 08:44:08 AM »
For you wordsmiths:

How about "two-tone"?

Thx. Ended up with duo-tone
Sharks bleed teal.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2007, 04:00:06 AM »
hey, all. i'm trying to find a nice fix for some cross-browser css positioning (and background image) problems i'm having with my website. shows up fine for me in safari, and i think on ie for windows, too. but ie for mac and firefox hide the menu and, possibly, the background images in the content sections. if anyone here knows anything about html coding, perhaps you could help me???? it's all hand-coded, so it's probably sloppy. i just tried to avoid using antiquated tables.

here's the url. if you need more code, let me know:
http://www.ameliaray.net/english/index.html

thanks in advance.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2007, 10:21:40 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
hey, all. i'm trying to find a nice fix for some cross-browser css positioning (and background image) problems i'm having with my website. shows up fine for me in safari, and i think on ie for windows, too. but ie for mac and firefox hide the menu and, possibly, the background images in the content sections. if anyone here knows anything about html coding, perhaps you could help me???? it's all hand-coded, so it's probably sloppy. i just tried to avoid using antiquated tables.

thanks in advance.

Looks very nice in ie 7.

My only suggesting would be wrapping the entire thing in another -table-.
code (replacing tag brackets with dashes, and you could play with the percentages):
-table-
   -tr-
      -td style='width:20%'-
          --- menu table here ----
      -/td-
      -td style='width:80%'-
          --- content span here ---
      -/td
    -/tr-
-/table-

ETA:  re-reading your post i see that you are trying to avoid 'antiquated' tables, but sometimes you gotta go with what works.  Especially across platforms.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2007, 11:47:30 AM »
It's still buggin' in Firefox, I'm afraid.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2007, 12:04:50 PM »
It's still buggin' in Firefox, I'm afraid.

Yep, likewise. If I use basic page style I see the image and news page but no menu. And if I change to no style, I get the menu, but no image or content. Alas, I am far from being web-savvy enough to tell you what to do about it. I think Rod or maybe Geoff are your best resources here.

(Looks fine in IE6 however.)
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2007, 04:15:55 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

thanks in advance.

Looks very nice in ie 7.

My only suggesting would be wrapping the entire thing in another -table-.
code (replacing tag brackets with dashes, and you could play with the percentages):
-table-
   -tr-
      -td style='width:20%'-
          --- menu table here ----
      -/td-
      -td style='width:80%'-
          --- content span here ---
      -/td
    -/tr-
-/table-

ETA:  re-reading your post i see that you are trying to avoid 'antiquated' tables, but sometimes you gotta go with what works.  Especially across platforms.

thanks, guys. i'll try your suggestion, flem. er..rod. :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:10 AM »
Attention early Saturday risers...  I'm working some overtime tomorrow, so I'll be on-line from 8a to around 1p, listening to the last hour of Casey Kasem on KFRC, followed by some of Dave's marathon and then CGSS (which starts at 10 on Sat).  So stop on by!