Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1095824 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3660 on: May 19, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
A pretty good analysis of KFOG's history...

http://www.playlistresearch.com/article/kfog.htm

That was indeed quite good, altho' I guess he didn't have the space to go into the whole "Triple-A and what happened to it" issue, which is a big part of the KFOG story. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: May 20, 2016, 11:01:50 AM »
Am not usually in the car in the AM but was today (Dr's appointment) so I punched up KFOG for a  few minutes. Some guest was performing and chatting.  And yeah Pinfield's voice is way annoying. It struck me that the show didn't sound like a local program so much as it sounded like a syndicated offering, which as I mentioned in an earlier post is what i suspect Cumulus would like to do.

Then on the way home (post-Pinfield) I heard the tail end of Natalie Merchant's "Wonder" segued into Cake "Never There". Sheesh.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: May 23, 2016, 10:22:37 AM »
It was lovely hearing Rosalie back on KFOG on Sunday morning. I'll have to see if I can dig up old Acoustic Sunrise playlists from the web archive, but I could've sworn there was a touch more 80s-90s stuff on there (Mraz!), but not sure.

Still she played all the faves, Dixie the Tiny Dog, 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, so def satisifed some of the faithful.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: May 23, 2016, 11:40:58 AM »
It was lovely hearing Rosalie back on KFOG on Sunday morning. I'll have to see if I can dig up old Acoustic Sunrise playlists from the web archive, but I could've sworn there was a touch more 80s-90s stuff on there (Mraz!), but not sure.

Still she played all the faves, Dixie the Tiny Dog, 1952 Vincent Black Lightning, so def satisifed some of the faithful.

From what I saw on TuneGenie, it was much more '90s/'00s based than before, with just enuf classics to make it seem like Rosalie was still in charge.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: May 31, 2016, 11:00:16 PM »
Per Tunegenie, they now appear to be making an attempt to sound less snoozy, though still equally safe (i.e. we're getting more of the likes of Green Day, RHCP, Weezer and less Adele, Sarah McLesbian).

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: June 06, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

BFT's Radio Waves column in the pink section of this Sunday's Chron was all about KFOG's new PD, Bryan Schock.
The online article is currently behind a paywall.  A few hits (snarky footnotes are mine):

"'Evolution' was a marketing ploy[1], and even after three weeks, not much more.  "People expected this
instaneous thing to happen," said Schock, "but evolution happens over time.  It was just a first step." [2]

[...]

"So KFOG is aiming for younger listeners.  As Schock explained, "As the radio station traveled with the
audience, at some point you have to say to yourself, 'Is this beneficial to our business?' and the ratings
were saying, 'No.'  The target [audience] had to be shifted, and musically is how we're doing it."

"As for what the new target is, Schock is candid:  "I've been saying we're a chick flick that guys want to go
see."  He gave an approximate target age range of 25 to 49." [3]

[...]

[on why the changes couldn't have been made without dismissing most of the on-air staff]

"My understanding is that they tried to do it over the last several years, with different programmers, and
nothing made much of an impact," said Schock.  KFOG's ratings had been stagnant for several years.
Management, he said, "had to make a statement, that we've made a change, and get the attention of people." [4]

----------
[1] Gee, ya think so?
[2] Watch that first step -- it's a doozy!
[3] In other words, the wet dream of every other media outlet.
[4] Well, you managed to do that, but not in a postive way.

In witnessing Cumulus' clueless destruction of the KFOG brand, I can't help but think that they are
seriously following a radio version of the old three envelopes joke.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: June 08, 2016, 08:39:59 PM »
and KFOG hires a Music Director/midday jock.  As expected, it's a woman.

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/106700/alicia-tyler-joins-kfog/

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: June 10, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »

BFT's Radio Waves column in the pink section of this Sunday's Chron was all about KFOG's new PD, Bryan Schock.
The online article is currently behind a paywall.  A few hits (snarky footnotes are mine):

"'Evolution' was a marketing ploy[1], and even after three weeks, not much more.  "People expected this
instaneous thing to happen," said Schock, "but evolution happens over time.  It was just a first step." [2]

[...]

"So KFOG is aiming for younger listeners.  As Schock explained, "As the radio station traveled with the
audience, at some point you have to say to yourself, 'Is this beneficial to our business?' and the ratings
were saying, 'No.'  The target [audience] had to be shifted, and musically is how we're doing it."

"As for what the new target is, Schock is candid:  "I've been saying we're a chick flick that guys want to go
see."  He gave an approximate target age range of 25 to 49." [3]

[...]

[on why the changes couldn't have been made without dismissing most of the on-air staff]

"My understanding is that they tried to do it over the last several years, with different programmers, and
nothing made much of an impact," said Schock.  KFOG's ratings had been stagnant for several years.
Management, he said, "had to make a statement, that we've made a change, and get the attention of people." [4]

----------
[1] Gee, ya think so?
[2] Watch that first step -- it's a doozy!
[3] In other words, the wet dream of every other media outlet.
[4] Well, you managed to do that, but not in a postive way.

In witnessing Cumulus' clueless destruction of the KFOG brand, I can't help but think that they are
seriously following a radio version of the old three envelopes joke.

I also remember from the article that the new morning show ratings are actually up, according to Schrock...but if that’s the case, then the ratings for the other dayparts must have gone down since the overall ratings are down.

Ever since DM left, the morning show has always been the weakest link...so what does Cumulus do, fire all the non-morning DJs and keep 2/3 of the old morning show? Pure incompetence, but everyone already knows that.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: June 10, 2016, 12:36:06 PM »
Ever since DM left, the morning show has always been the weakest link

I had a soft spot for Tim Jeffreys, but yeah, I'd have to agree. Webster was a poor man's DM, and the rest has been one giant clusterf***

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3669 on: June 28, 2016, 07:01:41 AM »
Who's the new morning woman dj?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: June 28, 2016, 08:22:00 AM »

Apparently that's Alicia Tyler, who was supposed to be the new Music Director/midday person, but she has been added to the morning show instead. (And then she sticks around? it's not clear yet)

ETA: I listened from 9:50 to 10:20 and (a) it was unbearable, musically and (b) I didn't hear a live human voice.  Ms. Tyler is not yet listed on the KFOG website, which is odd.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:26:19 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: July 01, 2016, 04:29:15 PM »

Apparently that's Alicia Tyler, who was supposed to be the new Music Director/midday person, but she has been added to the morning show instead. (And then she sticks around? it's not clear yet)

ETA: I listened from 9:50 to 10:20 and (a) it was unbearable, musically and (b) I didn't hear a live human voice.  Ms. Tyler is not yet listed on the KFOG website, which is odd.

I was off today so I listened to KFOG from shortly after 9 until nearly 11. Gawd they're boring. How many times a week does any sane person need to hear Cake? or "Bittersweet Symphony"? But indeed, Ms. Tyler is Pinfield's new sidekick (guess there's only so much raspy-voiced douchebro nonsense that soccer moms can stand before they beg to hear a female voice). And the station is still jockless in middays. I will note that in 2 hours I didn't hear anyone say "It's not your parents' KFOG", and I wonder if they dropped that bit because people bitched about it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: July 25, 2016, 07:07:44 PM »
Someone in the "Save KFOG" group posted that Alicia Tyler said "here's new music from George Ezra..." and proceeded to play "Budapest". Which KFOG has been playing for nearly 2 years. SMH.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: July 29, 2016, 03:03:52 PM »
Irish Greg posted that he is no longer at KFOG.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: July 29, 2016, 05:05:13 PM »
Irish Greg posted that he is no longer at KFOG.

Just saw that. He says it's all good, but what else can he say? I don't expect him to say much else publicly. Hope he is able to find a new place to land close by.

Btw, this is another sign that the original plan when they blew up the station isn't working and now they're tinkering with it.
Let's get right to it.