Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1094974 times)

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #3690 on: October 18, 2016, 02:30:16 PM »
Still wake up to KFOG at 7AM, but more recently have been shutting it off almost immediately. This morning heard a new voice teasing "a crazy sad thing that happened the other day", right after the next song. So we listened through Elle King's "Ex's & Oh's" and I think it was Bryan Schock that told this story of an employee getting killed chasing a guy stealing wooden pallets (this as in San Leandro: http://abc7news.com/news/suspect-in-san-leandro-fatal-hit-and-run-identified/1559574/).

He then related a personal story about seeing a guy walk out of a store with cereal and milk and asking the cashier, "You're not going to stop him?" and the reply "It's not worth my life."

Yadda yadda, Pinfield and Alicia Tyler putting in their two cents.

What struck me was 1) they've brought Schock in, and Pinfield was there too. Is that an acknowledgement that  Pinfield/Tyler are pretty boring together? 2) Adding Schock to the mix didn't make things any better. They're all pretty meh. Pinfield's voice is distinctive, but for everyday morning talk it's not like he has a lot to say.

He talks *a lot* when it's a subject that he's researched. I heard the laboriously hyped Pinfield Playlist pick yesterday about "Love", and how the singer's father is a famous Canadian producer and his mom was one of Warhol's factory girls, blah blah blah. Then he played "Think I'm in Love" as if it was the rarest B-side you'd never heard of.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #3691 on: October 19, 2016, 10:33:28 AM »
Still wake up to KFOG at 7AM, but more recently have been shutting it off almost immediately. This morning heard a new voice teasing "a crazy sad thing that happened the other day", right after the next song. So we listened through Elle King's "Ex's & Oh's" and I think it was Bryan Schock that told this story of an employee getting killed chasing a guy stealing wooden pallets (this as in San Leandro: http://abc7news.com/news/suspect-in-san-leandro-fatal-hit-and-run-identified/1559574/).

He then related a personal story about seeing a guy walk out of a store with cereal and milk and asking the cashier, "You're not going to stop him?" and the reply "It's not worth my life."

What struck me was 1) they've brought Schock in, and Pinfield was there too. Is that an acknowledgement that  Pinfield/Tyler are pretty boring together? 2) Adding Schock to the mix didn't make things any better. They're all pretty meh. Pinfield's voice is distinctive, but for everyday morning talk it's not like he has a lot to say.

He talks *a lot* when it's a subject that he's researched. I heard the laboriously hyped Pinfield Playlist pick yesterday about "Love", and how the singer's father is a famous Canadian producer and his mom was one of Warhol's factory girls, blah blah blah. Then he played "Think I'm in Love" as if it was the rarest B-side you'd never heard of.
We've been wondering who the 3rd wheel is in the morning car crash.  Bryan Schock?  Does he come from anywhere, or has he been around?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: October 19, 2016, 11:58:33 AM »

We've been wondering who the 3rd wheel is in the morning car crash.  Bryan Schock?  Does he come from anywhere, or has he been around?

Schock is the Program Director, the guy who created the trainwreck that is "The Evolution of KFOG"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: October 19, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »
Schock is the Program Director, the guy who created the trainwreck that is "The Evolution of KFOG"

To be fair, unclear whether the Evolution was his idea, or if he was the one brought in to implement the crappy plan.

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/105671/bryan-schock-to-program-kfogksan/

Well, maybe it was his idea, or Cumulus is throwing him under the bus:

VP/Market Manager JUSTIN WITTMAYER said, “BRYAN’s vision and passion for KFOG and KSAN are unrivaled. This is a transformational time for KFOG. We are confident that his plans will exceed the expectations of both of our audiences.”

Still, if Ben Fong-Torres is to be believed, things were already underway by the time Schock was brought onboard the sinking ship.

http://www.sfchronicle.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/Clearing-some-of-the-air-at-KFOG-7957920.php

When he got the job, he knew that changes were being made. That is, the “evolution” was already under way. He knew that key DJs were being let go, and that Pinfield — whom Schock had hired for a station in New York — had already signed on.

“Evolution” was a marketing ploy, and even after three weeks, not much more. “People expected this instantaneous thing to happen,” said Schock, “but evolution happens over time. It was just a first step.”

Article is worth a read, if only for this B.S.:

That said, why couldn’t the musical changes have been made without dismissing Renee Richardson, Bill Webster, Annalisa and Dred Scott, all of whom can sound youthful and talk about music with authority?

“My understanding is that they tried to do it over the last several years, with different programmers, and nothing made much of an impact,” said Schock. KFOG’s ratings had been stagnant for several years. Management, he said, “had to make a statement, that we’ve made a change, and get the attention of people.”

I don't think being known as the radio station that shits on its longtime DJs and brought in out-of-towners to replace them is the right kind of attention you want.

Lastly, I wonder if this still holds true (article is from June 1, 2016):

It’s still early in the “evolution,” but Schock said that since the change, “in mornings we’re already seeing an increase in the ratings.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: November 14, 2016, 05:26:02 PM »
Saw something over the weekend (probably on FB) that said that Peter Finch's next "Finch Files" episode would be checking in again with the deposed KFOG airstaff, six months after the pogrom. Keep an eye out for further promos.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: December 09, 2016, 09:59:57 AM »
Happened to punch up KFOG in the car yesterday -- NoName now has a daily feature called "The Backseat B-side". Yesterday it was "Connection" by Elastica which (of course) was not a B-side. And I've no idea about the "backseat" part. SMH.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: December 17, 2016, 09:47:07 PM »
Happened to punch up KFOG in the car yesterday -- NoName now has a daily feature called "The Backseat B-side". Yesterday it was "Connection" by Elastica which (of course) was not a B-side. And I've no idea about the "backseat" part. SMH.

Caught that feature again this week; the selection was Weezer's "Hashpipe".

Meanwhile, someone on a radio message board was complaining that KFOG shouldn't call themselves Triple-A, because they're playing "a lot more pop hits" -- that made me curious. But looking at what they’re currently playing, they’re pretty much in the same bag they’ve been in the past couple of years. It’s just that the gold they’re playing is primarily ’90s. (Dunno what he meant by “pop hits” -- 21 Pilots? It's not like they’re playing Katy Perry or anything.)  This week's list of currents includes several new holiday tunes (Billy Bragg covering Merle Haggard!). I love how they list James Bay’s “Let it Go” as a current; it’s TWO YEARS OLD.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:04 AM »
BIG NEWS: Pinfield out -- he's back in rehab apparently. 

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: January 03, 2017, 12:14:13 PM »

So, whoever had "January 3, 2017" in the pool can pick up their prize!

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: January 03, 2017, 02:05:58 PM »
I'm a little surprised they'd announce that he was in rehab. With or without his OK, that's still a sensitive topic and not something I'd want broadcast over a 50K-watt radio station to a major market.

I agree with the general consensus though: he's gone, not coming back, don't let the door hit you, etc.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: January 03, 2017, 02:06:36 PM »

Hee.  It's his 2nd stint in rehab.  Did it in 2009 when he was @ WRXP in NYC. And he wrote about it in his book, so I'm sure KFOG was aware of his history. Not sure what this does to his 3 Cumulus syndicated shows. Or whether the morning show becomes "Brian and Alicia in the Morning" or if they look for a 3rd person (NoName, perhaps?).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:28:34 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: January 04, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »

Hee.  It's his 2nd stint in rehab.  Did it in 2009 when he was a WRXP in NYC. And he wrote about it in his book, so I'm sure KFOG was aware of his history. Not sure what this does to his 3 Cumulus syndicated shows. Or whether the morning show becomes "Brian and Alicia in the Morning" or if they look for a 3rd person (NoName, perhaps?).

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7640811/matt-pinfield-rehab

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: March 22, 2017, 12:30:46 PM »
I was unaware, but Pinfield returned from his rehab stint in late Feb.  He's now on TWICE A DAY: as part of the morning crew and also 7-10 evenings.

Don't have all the particulars here (I got the above from the "Fogheads in Exile" FB group and they are not a terribly well-informed bunch) but I can't imagine someone just out of rehab doing opposite-end-of-the-clock shows *live* every day. I suspect the evening show is the syndicated thing he had been doing for Cumulus (which KFOG declined to carry originally) and that it's a replay of something he does live for the East Coast (meaning he does it around 4pm Pacific). I'm also wondering if the morning gig is (a) not the entire 4 hours and (b) only temporary.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: March 31, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »
Just occurred to me that today is the first anniversary of the day Cumulus blew up KFOG. Kind of curious that today is the day Soundwaves is celebrating its "birthday" but I guess they're talking about w-a-a-a-a-a-y back in '83 when they started the whole Soundwaves thing, not just 10@10.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: March 31, 2017, 09:12:32 PM »
Just occurred to me that today is the first anniversary of the day Cumulus blew up KFOG. Kind of curious that today is the day Soundwaves is celebrating its "birthday" but I guess they're talking about w-a-a-a-a-a-y back in '83 when they started the whole Soundwaves thing, not just 10@10.

Yeah -- I'd never heard of Soundwaves before they started doing 10@10...