Author Topic: The Star Trek (and other Sci-Fi) thread  (Read 59271 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
The Star Trek (and other Sci-Fi) thread
« on: May 13, 2005, 10:10:10 PM »
I know at least Beej and I like to talk about Star Trek, and I couldn't find an explicit Trek thread, so here goes.

Watched most of the last episodes tonight, and don't know what to think.  The whole franchise is kind of in a coma, and I hope someday they'll get it together again.  Supposedly, Jolene Blalock has trashed the last episode, but I haven't found the link yet.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 08:59:42 PM by RGMike »
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 09:56:56 AM »
(sigh) That? Was awful. Really. The Enterprise cast becomes second bananas in their own finale. That's why Jolene trashed it. And I can't says I blame her.

And it's not like I actually liked the show- but daaaamn- that was cruel.
nakes? On my plane?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 10:05:05 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
(sigh) That? Was awful. Really. The Enterprise cast becomes second bananas in their own finale. That's why Jolene trashed it. And I can't says I blame her.

And it's not like I actually liked the show- but daaaamn- that was cruel.

Missed it.  I stopped watching altogether a couple of months back.  I gave it every opportunity, but it just never caught my imagination.  Anyway, I'd have liked to see the final ep, just for the historical aspect...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:09:33 AM »
I have it on tape- albeit a few minutes from the beginning are shaved a bit (I didn't realize the final ep was to be last Friday. So, I set my timer to get what I thought would be the next-to-last ep. Good thing I happened to turn on my TV to see them continue on with the finale.

Well, not "good thing". But, as you say Rod- "historical perspective" and all. I'll bring said tape to the gathering on Saturday!
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
damn! I was on the phone for first 20 minutes!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 01:16:59 PM »
I have it on tape- albeit a few minutes from the beginning are shaved a bit (I didn't realize the final ep was to be last Friday. So, I set my timer to get what I thought would be the next-to-last ep. Good thing I happened to turn on my TV to see them continue on with the finale.

Well, not "good thing". But, as you say Rod- "historical perspective" and all. I'll bring said tape to the gathering on Saturday!
what I missed, both Wed and Sun, was the first few minutes of the penultimate episode.

Yeah, they were definitely relegated to second banana.  I never really liked  Scott Bakula, but we was cruder, as I guess he historically should have been than Kirk.  Picard was pretty untoppable as a Captain, in that Shakespearean sort of way!

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 01:51:14 PM »
BWAH! There he is with that damn flute-thingy he "learned" to play!

Picard's pretty cool, I gotta say. Sisko was pretty cool, too. And even though I hated the show Voyager- I have a special place in my heart for Janeway.

By the by, Patrick Stewart can be heard doing the voice of Stan Smith's CIA boss on the new Fox animated show, American Dad.
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
The last temptation of Christ
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2005, 01:56:58 PM »
BWAH! There he is with that damn flute-thingy he "learned" to play!
When I watched the tLToC with a small group, the first thing I thought of was this 'flute' episode.  Do you remember the name of the episode?  It's probably not too hard to find, in this nerdy world of the net.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2005, 09:08:31 AM »
tLToC

nakes? On my plane?

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2005, 09:16:41 AM »
The episode where Picard plays with his flute is called "Inner Light"

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/episode/68556.html

Ah, Google- where would I be with out ye?

I must confess- I know more Original Series trivia than I know TNG stuff. But, I like TNG, too. It's kinda good that I'm not as familiar because when I'm flipping channels and a TNG rerun appears- there's a good chance I haven't seen it or don't remember it. Whereas with the Original Series I can recite em line for line it feels like.
nakes? On my plane?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2005, 09:28:36 AM »
tLToC

"The Last Temptation of Christ."

Or, if you must, "The Last Train of Clarksville."

Just got press-credentialed for Streaming Media East, so I have to bail on Dave's set.  Have a fun afternoon, everyone!

Gaz

P.S.  Beej, love the Christmas lights!  Hell yeah!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2005, 09:42:18 AM »
Thanks for the info, Gaz. And glad you like the lights!

Yeah, I see the similarities on that one, Geoff.
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
found some TV Trek
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 12:29:51 AM »
OK, it's too late for me to be awake, but was installing some updates on laptop, and found TNG on Spike TV.  I thought there was no more Trek reruns.  Are there more?  I don't particularly like this episode, but it's somewhat comforting to watch.

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2005, 09:28:00 AM »
I thought there was no more Trek reruns. Are there more?

When Spike TV premiered- one of their big selling ponts is that they were going to show TNG reruns. I think the TNN Channel (a channel for country western/NASCAR-lovin' men) shows them, too.

Anyway, I do believe Spke TV and TNN are the only places you can see TNG at this point in time.
nakes? On my plane?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Spike TV and TNN are the same. No more TNN
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2005, 09:34:52 AM »

When Spike TV premiered- one of their big selling ponts is that they were going to show TNG reruns. I think the TNN Channel (a channel for country western/NASCAR-lovin' men) shows them, too.

Anyway, I do believe Spke TV and TNN are the only places you can see TNG at this point in time.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Star Trek thread
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2005, 09:41:35 AM »

Anyway, I do believe Spike TV and TNN are the only places you can see TNG at this point in time.

Spike and TNN are one and the same -- TNN became Spike TV last year. "TNN" stood for The Nashville Network; then they tried to shed their country image by calling themselves The National Network. Then (after settling Spike Lee's silly lawsuit against them) they officially became Spike TV, the manly channel.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round