Author Topic: The Facebook Thread  (Read 69959 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Facebook Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
From the "Hell in a Handbasket" file... that woman who drowned herself and her 3 kids the other day posted a forgive-me-for-what-i'm-about-to-do status update on FB...

http://gawker.com/#!5792231/mother-updated-facebook-before-drowning-herself-and-her-kids
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2011, 10:13:44 AM »
coulda put this in the Tech thread too. Great think-piece on digital etiquette and out always-connected world:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/fashion/17TEXT.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2011, 10:18:59 AM »
Check out the "Post rapture looting" page on Facebook. Hilarious.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2011, 10:59:42 AM »
I had to (finally) "un-friend" someone on FB because, well, she's kinda nuts. I've had weird dust-ups with her for the past 2 years, and was on the verge of un-friending her in December. And you may remember I posted a few months ago about how a FB-friend of hers (a guy she didn't actually know) had nastily attacked me when I criticized Donald Trump. And she instantly dumped him and that made me think well... maybe she's not so bad.

But: she is, among other things, a high priestess of the Cult of Oprah. Yesterday she posted this quote from Steadman Graham, Oprah's beard, oops, I mean "boyfriend":

"You are not your circumstances... You are your possibilities". Very Hallmark, no? I couldn't resist commenting "Easy for him to say..."

And of course she was highly offended. Why, Streadman has a master's degree! and he has his own company! and on and on. I said, "yeah, and his girlfriend is the richest woman on Earth. So his 'possibilities' are endless, don'cha think?"

And then her friends chimed in, defending S & O both. I pointed out that you don't get to be a billionaire by being nice but of course O is the exception, she's the only nice billionaire!  Sheesh.

Then the piece de resistance -- my (now ex-)friend said, "y'know, Gayle King is a Facebook friend of mine -- I hope she doesn't see what you said in this thread!!"

And go fuck yourself, lady. Jeezus H Christ.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 03, 2011, 09:01:43 AM »
I had to (finally) "un-friend" someone on FB because, well, she's kinda nuts. I've had weird dust-ups with her for the past 2 years, and was on the verge of un-friending her in December. And you may remember I posted a few months ago about how a FB-friend of hers (a guy she didn't actually know) had nastily attacked me when I criticized Donald Trump. And she instantly dumped him and that made me think well... maybe she's not so bad.

But: she is, among other things, a high priestess of the Cult of Oprah. Yesterday she posted this quote from Steadman Graham, Oprah's beard, oops, I mean "boyfriend":

"You are not your circumstances... You are your possibilities". Very Hallmark, no? I couldn't resist commenting "Easy for him to say..."

And of course she was highly offended. Why, Streadman has a master's degree! and he has his own company! and on and on. I said, "yeah, and his girlfriend is the richest woman on Earth. So his 'possibilities' are endless, don'cha think?"

And then her friends chimed in, defending S & O both. I pointed out that you don't get to be a billionaire by being nice but of course O is the exception, she's the only nice billionaire!  Sheesh.

Then the piece de resistance -- my (now ex-)friend said, "y'know, Gayle King is a Facebook friend of mine -- I hope she doesn't see what you said in this thread!!"

And go fuck yourself, lady. Jeezus H Christ.
Thanks for brightening my day so far. I'm feeling better now.  ;D  Life is too short to get caught up in and be subjected to needless BS when you have the power to extricate yourself.  Now there's a Hallmark card, Go Fuck Yourself.  nuf said.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
Worst. Idea. EVAH!

http://gawker.com/5809540/woman-gets-massive-tattoo-of-all-her-facebook-friends-faces

Please, FB-friends, promise me I'll never wind up on your arm. Or your ass.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2011, 01:24:29 PM »
a FB-friend of mine posted that he has "tuna breath"

To which I replied: "so does that mean you're a lesbian?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2011, 05:00:04 PM »
Beware: a friend had her FB account hacked yesterday. And I was an innocent bystander.  I had just logged on yesterday afternoon when the "chat" box opened and it said it was my friend Barbara from NJ.  "Hi there" she said, and I said "Hi Babs!"

Babs: "so what are you doing?"
Me: (a tad suspicious since Babs never uses FB Chat) "laughing at something [a mutual FB-friend of ours] just posted"
Babs: "I am not so good"
Me: (even more wary) "Oh...? What's wrong?"
Babs: "I'm stranded in the Phillippines with my family -- we were mugged at gunpoint. It was scary"

OK now I *KNOW* it's not Babs. Clearly someone is about to try and scam me for money. I reply that I suspect it's not Babs but if it is she should call me, otherwise I'll know it's BS.  No reply.   I immediately call Babs and leave a message on her cel; she calls back ("No I'm not in the Phillippines") and logs on to FB to find a Security Breach Protocol screen -- she has to answer a bunch of questions and ID pictures of friends to get back in. Sheesh.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2011, 07:39:00 PM »
Beware: a friend had her FB account hacked yesterday. And I was an innocent bystander.  I had just logged on yesterday afternoon when the "chat" box opened and it said it was my friend Barbara from NJ.  "Hi there" she said, and I said "Hi Babs!"

Babs: "so what are you doing?"
Me: (a tad suspicious since Babs never uses FB Chat) "laughing at something [a mutual FB-friend of ours] just posted"
Babs: "I am not so good"
Me: (even more wary) "Oh...? What's wrong?"
Babs: "I'm stranded in the Phillippines with my family -- we were mugged at gunpoint. It was scary"

OK now I *KNOW* it's not Babs. Clearly someone is about to try and scam me for money. I reply that I suspect it's not Babs but if it is she should call me, otherwise I'll know it's BS.  No reply.   I immediately call Babs and leave a message on her cel; she calls back ("No I'm not in the Phillippines") and logs on to FB to find a Security Breach Protocol screen -- she has to answer a bunch of questions and ID pictures of friends to get back in. Sheesh.
This scammer would've had better luck if they said they were stranded in Queens.  Or with queens!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2011, 03:54:13 PM »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2011, 07:48:45 AM »

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2011, 08:35:23 AM »
I don't know why I'm asking, but has Silly Foghead disappeared off the face of the Earth?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2011, 08:44:21 AM »
I don't know why I'm asking, but has Silly Foghead disappeared off the face of the Earth?

nope, I saw him posting on the KFOG page the other day. He does running commentary a lot -- "Rockwell's in!" etc. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2011, 07:55:46 AM »
A FB-friend -- a smart guy who should know better -- just posted that ridiculous old  "FB is about to start charging yearly membership" trope.  It is NOT true, people.. Jeez.