Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 459580 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Local radio news
« Reply #345 on: February 06, 2008, 01:05:42 PM »
Well, local for Gaz, anyway: NYC's WQCD has dropped Smooth Jazz (after 20 years) and switched to "The NY Rock Experience", a triple-A type format, so NY finally has a KFOG-ish station. (tho' The Peak is already doing that on the outskirts of the city).

http://www.cd1019.com/site_20/home.aspx

http://www.1019rxp.com/

This is great news!  I'll give them a listen as soon as I get some free time.  (I used to be able to listen to music while I work, but the present duties require too much attention and tuneage distracts me.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 06, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
Well, local for Gaz, anyway: NYC's WQCD has dropped Smooth Jazz (after 20 years) and switched to "The NY Rock Experience", a triple-A type format, so NY finally has a KFOG-ish station. (tho' The Peak is already doing that on the outskirts of the city).

http://www.cd1019.com/site_20/home.aspx

http://www.1019rxp.com/

This is great news!  I'll give them a listen as soon as I get some free time.  (I used to be able to listen to music while I work, but the present duties require too much attention and tuneage distracts me.)

FYI, they don't seem to be streaming... yet.  It looks like standard Triple-A fare, tho' they *are* playing that godawful Nickleback hit, "Rockstar", which most older-skewing Triple-A's tend to ignore.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 15, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »
For those who care, KFRC is running the old Drake/Chenault "History of Rock'n'Roll" all weekend. Always a delight.  Not sure if it affects the Klassic Kasem Kountdown tomorrow.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: February 15, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
For those who care, KFRC is running the old Drake/Chenault "History of Rock'n'Roll" all weekend. Always a delight.  Not sure if it affects the Klassic Kasem Kountdown tomorrow.

Thanks for the warning.  BTW, what on earth inspired your "Half-Breed" phase?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: February 16, 2008, 10:18:20 AM »

Thanks for the warning.  BTW, what on earth inspired your "Half-Breed" phase?

give me a feath-uh, ah'm a Chair-o-kee!  Came across the pic and had to have it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: March 07, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
http://www.timewarner.com/corp/newsroom/pr/0,20812,1720371,00.html

CBS Radio Signs Exclusive Agreement to Power AOL Radio, One of the Nation's Most Listened to Online Radio Networks
March 07, 2008

New York, NY – CBS RADIO and AOL today announced a ground breaking partnership whereby CBS RADIO will power AOL Radio (http://radio.aol.com), combining two of the largest online radio networks and giving millions of listeners unlimited and free access to the most diverse lineup of programming available. Additionally, the two companies will work together to create a number of product enhancements including a new player, as well as complete support for the Mac.

Once the AOL Radio's stations are integrated into its operations, CBS RADIO will drive advertising sales for AOL's more than 200 award winning stations in addition to its own online streams of more than 150 radio stations and custom channels.

A brand new state of the art player developed by CBS RADIO and incorporating all the favorite features AOL listeners are accustomed to, and more, will be launched this spring. The completely updated interface will include all of the stations currently programmed by AOL and a wide range of top-rated local sports, talk, news and music stations, including CBS RADIO's WFAN-AM and 1010 WINS in New York, KLSX and KROQ in Los Angeles, WXRT in Chicago, WVEE in Atlanta, as well as a litany of customized stations created exclusively by CBS RADIO for the Internet. Additional stations programmed by CBS RADIO and AOL will be launched throughout the partnership.

The new player will allow audiences to toggle between stations; view song titles, album information and link to websites featuring the current artist being streamed; access favorite stations via presets, rate and share songs with family, friends, and coworkers; purchase individual songs, albums and concert tickets; and link to a host of additional web content, including photos, videos, promotions, contests, news headlines, sports scores, trivia, and concert information, among other topics.

"CBS RADIO continues to invest in high-growth areas including internet streaming," said Dan Mason, President and CEO, CBS RADIO. "We have been very clear about our goals in this area and teaming with AOL is a tremendous step forward in that regard. Couple that with years of progress building out our own streaming operations, and CBS RADIO is instantly positioned as the leader in the online radio space. A combined CBS RADIO/AOL Radio affords us vastly greater scale, as well as massive distribution for our brands. We look forward to all that we will now be able to offer our audiences and advertisers alike."

"This partnership with CBS RADIO reconfirms our commitment to the expanding online radio audience and provides significantly more programming choices for our listeners," said Kevin Conroy, executive vice president of AOL.

In addition to CBS RADIO's extensive sales force, advertisers will also be able to utilize TargetSpot to facilitate their online advertising transactions. TargetSpot is the first end to end advertising marketplace specifically designed for streaming audio. The online platform allows clients to easily create, buy and place their advertising messages on streaming stations targeting listeners by station, location, listening preferences and demographics. In addition, Ronning Lipset Radio, the leading national online radio representation firm which has handled AOL Radio's streaming ad inventory for more than four years, is broadening its responsibilities to include CBS RADIO's online radio properties as well.

"As a result of having one of the most powerful Internet radio platforms in the world we've created even greater opportunities for advertisers to be integrated into one of the fastest growing areas on the web," said David Goodman, President of Digital Media and Integrated Marketing.

About CBS RADIO
CBS RADIO is one of the largest major-market operators in the United States with stations covering news, alternative rock, oldies, country, talk, classic rock, JACK and urban formats, among others. A division of CBS Corporation, CBS RADIO operates 140 radio stations, all but one of which are in the nation's top 50 markets. The Company continues to make aggressive moves to converge new and traditional media through creative programming and advanced delivery methods, including online streaming, HD Radio, mobile messaging and podcasting. Audio streams of more than 150 CBS RADIO stations and custom channels are currently available online, and two thirds of the Company's stations are broadcasting in HD digital radio. Additionally, CBS RADIO is home to 27 of the country's leading sports franchises amongst MLB, the NFL, the NBA, the WNBA and the NHL, including the New York Yankees, New York Mets, Chicago White Sox, New England Patriots, New York Giants, Chicago Bears and the Detroit Red Wings.

About AOL
AOL is a global Web services company that operates some of the most popular Web destinations, offers a comprehensive suite of free software and services, runs one of the largest Internet access businesses in the U.S., and provides a full set of advertising solutions. A majority-owned subsidiary of Time Warner Inc., AOL LLC and its subsidiaries have operations in the U.S., Europe, Canada and Asia. Learn more at AOL.com.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: March 09, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »
I've mentioned Lisa Carr here several times, she used to do traffic at Live 105 back in the Alex Bennett days and later was a jock at the Bone for a while. I'd wondered what happened to her, and lo -- Ben Fong-Torres' "Radio Waves" column in today's Chron is all about KOIT's morning show, where Ms Carr is now known as Lisa Daley:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/09/PKGUV90EV.DTL

The article also mentions KOIT's Marketing Director: Jude Heller, who worked at KFOG for years. I recall Dave Morey saying farewell to Jude the day she left. He didn't say where she was going -- now we know.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2008, 09:50:06 AM »
I've mentioned Lisa Carr here several times, she used to do traffic at Live 105 back in the Alex Bennett days and later was a jock at the Bone for a while. I'd wondered what happened to her, and lo -- Ben Fong-Torres' "Radio Waves" column in today's Chron is all about KOIT's morning show, where Ms Carr is now known as Lisa Daley:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/09/PKGUV90EV.DTL

The article also mentions KOIT's Marketing Director: Jude Heller, who worked at KFOG for years. I recall Dave Morey saying farewell to Jude the day she left. He didn't say where she was going -- now we know.
Jude made an interim stop before KOIT. One of the new format country stations I think. Maybe Moovin. Guess that flopped.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2008, 08:07:12 AM »
hot rumors from the Radio-Info SF message board:

1) The Raiders are looking for a new radio home (no more KSFO)

2) KFRC and Mooooovin' are going to switch frequencies next month.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: March 27, 2008, 09:46:23 AM »

Which will put KFRC back where they were before Mooovin' bumped them from the dial, yes?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: March 27, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »

Which will put KFRC back where they were before Mooovin' bumped them from the dial, yes?

yup -- I suspect that's the idea. Despite a gazillion billboards, the average dunderhead still doesn't know that KFRC is "back", apparently.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: May 12, 2008, 09:42:24 PM »

yup -- I suspect that's the idea. Despite a gazillion billboards, the average dunderhead still doesn't know that KFRC is "back", apparently.

Well, as we now know, KFRC and "Movin'" have *not* switched frequencies.

But I was listening to KFRC in the car this afternoon, and in the midst of their usual, fairly predictable mix of "Classic Hits" (EJ, BJ, Queen, Beatles), what pops up but ... "We Were Always Sweethearts" by Boz! I was floored. Never a Top 40 hit, but one of my all-time faves of his -- I wonder how many of KFRC's core oldies-heads (the ones who can't get enuf of "Brown-Eyed Girl") had even *heard* of the song.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: May 12, 2008, 10:42:37 PM »

Well, as we now know, KFRC and "Movin'" have *not* switched frequencies.

But I was listening to KFRC in the car this afternoon, and in the midst of their usual, fairly predictable mix of "Classic Hits" (EJ, BJ, Queen, Beatles), what pops up but ... "We Were Always Sweethearts" by Boz! I was floored. Never a Top 40 hit, but one of my all-time faves of his -- I wonder how many of KFRC's core oldies-heads (the ones who can't get enuf of "Brown-Eyed Girl") had even *heard* of the song.

That song was the first thing I ever heard by Boz. The Top 40 stations in Sacto when I was in 6th grade or so were all OVER that song, so I assume KFRC may well have been too, as a regional hit. Great great tune--and one DM should add to the next 1971 set.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 05, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »
As my four days of being a commuter-by-car come to an end, I must say I truly feel for those of you who do it every day. No just because of the traffic, but because of what's available on the radio. I usually hear KFOG during the 6:00 hour each day; hearing an extra hour+ drove me up the wall. Renee is quite annoying and even Dave was pissing me off with his I-(heart)-Hillary/"oooh, her refusing to withdraw is so fabulously dramatic" shtick.  So I flipped to Energy 92.7 and their 3 gay guys -- first time I'd heard them for extended periods -- and OMFG they're awful, especially Greg the Gay Sportscaster, who's a white trash Southern queen who sounds like he's on some low-watt station in Mississippi (if gay people were allowed on the radio there).

Coming home today I listened to KNBR for the first time in a while; Tom Tolbert is as idiotically frat-boy-ish as ever, and didya know KFOG's Mike Powers does sports updates there?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 06, 2008, 08:24:23 AM »