Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461420 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #315 on: October 17, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »
Not exactly local, but this seemed the best place for this.

I'm sure most of you recall my waxing poetic about KZAP, a one-time freeform FM station in Sacramento that provided the soundtrack for my teen years.

Well, the other day during a rare slow time at work I happened across a rather lengthy chronicle of KZAP's entire lifespan, from 1968 to 1992, written by a guy who I remember as a DJ on Sacramento's alternative station in the mid-90s. A lot of this probably won't mean as much if you weren't there, but I thought I'd post the link anyway in case anyone had a few spare hours (as I said, it's long).

http://www.playlistresearch.com/kzap.htm

I started listening around '72, so I don't recall much of the early stuff, but the descriptions of station activities from then on brought back memories I hadn't visited in YEARS. Wish I could have attended the reunion they had in '98--I did go to a KZAP farewell party in '92 after the station had folded up. Wonder if they'll have another one next year?
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #316 on: October 17, 2007, 11:04:10 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

I'm sure most of you recall my waxing poetic about KZAP, a one-time freeform FM station in Sacramento that provided the soundtrack for my teen years.

Well, the other day during a rare slow time at work I happened across a rather lengthy chronicle of KZAP's entire lifespan, from 1968 to 1992, written by a guy who I remember as a DJ on Sacramento's alternative station in the mid-90s. A lot of this probably won't mean as much if you weren't there, but I thought I'd post the link anyway in case anyone had a few spare hours (as I said, it's long).

I started listening around '72, so I don't recall much of the early stuff, but the descriptions of station activities from then on brought back memories I hadn't visited in YEARS. Wish I could have attended the reunion they had in '98--I did go to a KZAP farewell party in '92 after the station had folded up. Wonder if they'll have another one next year?

wow. that's a really cool website.  Just browsed the St. Louis & Seattle essays.  Mike, I predict you're going to waste some hours here for sure.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #317 on: October 17, 2007, 11:12:59 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

wow. that's a really cool website.  Just browsed the St. Louis & Seattle essays.  Mike, I predict you're going to waste some hours here for sure.

Yeah, I haven't really looked beyond the Sacramento related pieces, but there's a ton of stuff there.

Also, if you want to find out what happened to some of the DJs of your youth, check this site out:

http://www.440.com/440sat.html

No guarantees, but they have listings on TONS of DJs, and nearly every station you can name.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #318 on: November 07, 2007, 11:15:05 AM »
email just received, I thought KFRC was back already.
----------------------------------------
Dear KFRC listener:

I'm writing to you because you were among the thousands who were
disappointed last September when KFRC went away.  Well, I've got
exciting news for you!

KFRC is back!  That's right; the Bay Area's Classic Hits are on KFRC
once again, this time at a new dial position, 106.9FM.  The great music
is already on the air ready for you to enjoy 24/7, along with some great
Bay Area radio personalities who bring it all to life, including:

Original KFRC jock and Rock & Roll Hall of Fame inductee "Your Duke",
Dave Sholin & Celeste Perry play your "wake up" classic hits, mornings
from 5:30 to 10am.

KFRC's own Sue Hall, back where she belongs, playing classic hits from
10am to 3pm

Bay Area native and classic hits expert Jay Coffee driving you home from
3pm-7pm.

And Bay Area radio veteran Steve Moore playing classic hits into the
night from 7p-12mid.

Plus KFRC legend John Mack Flanagan hosting two weekly Beatles music
feature hours:  "The Magical Mystery Tour", Saturday morning at 9am and
"Brunch with The Beatles", Sunday morning at 9am.    And Bay Area rock
music journalist Ben Fong-Torres brings his musical expertise and
historical perspective to life with "Classic Hits Backstage", Sunday
morning from 7am-9am and Sunday night from 7pm-9pm.  And if that's not
enough, Casey Kasem's original "American Top 40" shows from the 70's air
on Saturday mornings at 6am with a "Best of American Top 40" repeat at
10pm Saturday night.

I hope you'll take a moment to check out a station that we think does
the original "Big 610" proud:  Classic Hits 106.9, KFRC!

PS-Find out everything going on with the station and listen online at
our great new website:  KFRC.com

Mike Preston
VP/Programming
CBS Radio San Francisco
KCBS 740^KMVQ 99.7^KFRC 106.9

865 Battery Street
San Francisco, CA 94111
ph:  415-951-2348

Tim Jordan
Program Director
Classic Hits
106.9 KFRC FM
415-951-2374
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #319 on: November 07, 2007, 11:42:53 AM »
Y'know what caught my eye most in that whole thing? The reruns of old Casey Kasem ATFs from the 70s. Too bad they are on at hours at which I would be highly unlikely to tune in, but if I'm ever up at 6am on a Saturday, or doing not much on at 10pm on a Saturday night, there ya go.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #320 on: November 07, 2007, 12:28:15 PM »
Y'know what caught my eye most in that whole thing? The reruns of old Casey Kasem ATFs from the 70s. Too bad they are on at hours at which I would be highly unlikely to tune in, but if I'm ever up at 6am on a Saturday, or doing not much on at 10pm on a Saturday night, there ya go.

That IS news -- I'll have to check one out on Sat nite, given the pleasure I'm getting from CG's retro countdown shows (I'm listening to one today from Aug '75 that is mind-blowing.) I didn't realize they were syndicating Casey's old shows.

Actually, it's a 3-or-4-hour show (depending on  the year), so If you're willing to forgo Dave's marathon, you can catch the last 2 hours on Sat morning and not lose too much sleep.

AT40 Trivia: Casey's show premiered 4th of July 1970 -- without looking it up, what was the #1 song that week?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #321 on: November 07, 2007, 12:57:49 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
AT40 Trivia: Casey's show premiered 4th of July 1970 -- without looking it up, what was the #1 song that week?

I'm going to guess the Carpenters, "(They Long to Be) Close to You."

And that is the first time I've ever typed out the subtitle for that, I think.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #322 on: November 07, 2007, 12:58:42 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Jay Coffee

My two favorite ways to start off the morning!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #323 on: November 07, 2007, 01:10:07 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Nope -- and that's ironic, since the answer is a fave artist of yours.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #324 on: November 07, 2007, 02:27:17 PM »

Given that added hint, I'll say Three Dog Night, Mama Told Me Not To Come.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #325 on: November 07, 2007, 03:34:20 PM »

Ding Ding Ding!

I'm wondering how far back these "Classic Caseys" go.  On the 5th anniv of the show, July 4th 1975, they rebroadcast the very first show in its entirety -- Kasem sounded VERY different, very gruff and he spoke much faster.  His "warm" "cozy" syrupy-long-distance-dedication voice had evolved over time.   And in the beginning the show was only 3 hours; they were afraid affiliates wouldn't take a longer show. So they edited a lot of the songs (and sometimes deleted songs that were on the way down) to make it all fit into 3 hours.  By the late '70s, singles were longer and the show was a proven hit, so they expanded to 4 hours.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #326 on: November 07, 2007, 07:34:04 PM »

Ding Ding Ding!

I'm wondering how far back these "Classic Caseys" go.  On the 5th anniv of the show, July 4th 1975, they rebroadcast the very first show in its entirety -- Kasem sounded VERY different, very gruff and he spoke much faster.  His "warm" "cozy" syrupy-long-distance-dedication voice had evolved over time.   And in the beginning the show was only 3 hours; they were afraid affiliates wouldn't take a longer show. So they edited a lot of the songs (and sometimes deleted songs that were on the way down) to make it all fit into 3 hours.  By the late '70s, singles were longer and the show was a proven hit, so they expanded to 4 hours.

Fascinating, and I hope I can fit some of these into my listening diet.

PS: I wasn't far off: "Close to You" succeeded "Mama Told Me" in the throne.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #327 on: November 10, 2007, 07:27:22 AM »

I'm listening this morning: Al Green shoots from 31 to 21 with "You Oughta Be With Me."  Always loved Casey's voice.

ETA: This is, I suppose, a 1972 set; the songs that followed were "Starting All Over Again," "If You Don't Know Me By Now," and "Thunder and Lightning."  What a set!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #328 on: November 10, 2007, 08:55:50 AM »

I'm listening this morning: Al Green shoots from 31 to 21 with "You Oughta Be With Me."  Always loved Casey's voice.

ETA: This is, I suppose, a 1972 set; the songs that followed were "Starting All Over Again," "If You Don't Know Me By Now," and "Thunder and Lightning."  What a set!

I woke up as the last hour was beginning: just in time for the 5th Dimension's fabulous forgotten "If I Could Reach You".  Amazing stuff, and note that this is date-specific (Nov 11th 1972); I assume that's always the case, which is just an awesome concept.  Can't wait to catch the replay tonite (serious competition for JJ on KPOO). Thanks to Ali for alerting us to this!

Great trivia I had long forgotten: Lobo wrote the "today is the first day of the rest of your life" jingle for Total cereal, but they didn't like his voice -- so they hired Cashman & West (who were also in the Top 40 that week) to sing it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Local radio news
« Reply #329 on: November 10, 2007, 09:15:20 AM »
Great trivia I had long forgotten: Lobo wrote the "today is the first day of the rest of your life" jingle for Total cereal, but they didn't like his voice -- so they hired Cashman & West (who were also in the Top 40 that week) to sing it.

I was intrigued to learn that too.  Stretching the TANC meme a bit too far, I just bought a Cashman & West single off iTunes yesterday ("California on My Mind," sometimes credited under the alternate nom de disque Morning Mist).