Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456211 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1380 on: July 22, 2016, 12:42:09 PM »

My sister has long listened to (mostly progressive) talk radio, and the KGO bloodletting
a couple years back was particularly distressing for her.  She has since largely settled
on KKSF-AM (Talk 910).  This morning she reported that without warning (which seems to
be the normal modus operandi in the broadcasting biz), they changed their format to
Mexican music.  I have not verified this.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: July 22, 2016, 02:20:39 PM »

My sister has long listened to (mostly progressive) talk radio, and the KGO bloodletting
a couple years back was particularly distressing for her.  She has since largely settled
on KKSF-AM (Talk 910).  This morning she reported that without warning (which seems to
be the normal modus operandi in the broadcasting biz), they changed their format to
Mexican music.  I have not verified this.

Yes, it's true. They're now carrying Spanish Sports (ESPN Deportes, to be exact).  I'm friends with Gil Gross on FB (I worked with him in the '80) and my feed was filled with "Gil! Where are you??" posts. And Rich Lieberman later confirmed (which means he was actually right about something for a change).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: July 28, 2016, 12:34:32 PM »
Rich Lieberman is right about a lot of things...but after they already happen.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 09, 2016, 10:52:42 AM »
Never mind "not your father's KFOG" -- how about "not your mother's KOIT"?  At the dentist this morning (and they always play KOIT); within 10 minutes of each other I heard "My Humps" and "Uptown Funk". No wonder the older demos have flocked to "The Breeze"

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:38 PM »
A longtime friend of mine, Nancy Newcomer, recently landed the drive time (3 to 7) gig on KFOX.  Haven't listened in yet (just saw the facebook post).  But anyway, give her a bump and check it out.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 25, 2016, 09:48:03 AM »
A longtime friend of mine, Nancy Newcomer, recently landed the drive time (3 to 7) gig on KFOX.  Haven't listened in yet (just saw the facebook post).  But anyway, give her a bump and check it out.

apparently they hired THREE female jocks, including longtime SF radio staple Celeste Perry!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 25, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
Big news, sports-wise is that the Warriors are moving their games from KNBR to 95.7 The Game.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/08/25/warriors-jump-knbr-95-7-fm-game-means-whats-next-tom-tolbert/

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 25, 2016, 11:14:18 AM »
Big news, sports-wise is that the Warriors are moving their games from KNBR to 95.7 The Game.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2016/08/25/warriors-jump-knbr-95-7-fm-game-means-whats-next-tom-tolbert/

That is big news. And it will mean that the Giants are going to be the only local team to not have their games broadcast on FM.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 25, 2016, 11:52:35 AM »

That is big news. And it will mean that the Giants are going to be the only local team to not have their games broadcast on FM.

well, if the "evolution" fails...

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 25, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
A couple months after the KFOG blowout...Bay Area radio is mostly dead to me.

KFOG and Live 105 used to complement each other fairly well. Now Live 105 is the only station still fighting the good fight, in my opinion, and even they are not they once used to be. They are not meant for binge-listening. But through all the on-air disc jockey changes (which have been more frequent than KFOG) though they have kept the same attitude, and Aaron Axelsen’s Sunday night new music program Soundcheck, which has been around for awhile, is still always worth going out of the way to tune into.

BIG 103.7 (or whatever it was called the couple weeks before it switched to the iHeart80s stream) used to be tolerable. It felt like they put some care into their programming, they used to throw a couple of interesting songs into the mix every hour and I had started to get attached to their Friday Night Flashbacks. Now there’s no more FNF and everything else is generic 80s for the LCD.

Alice, Star, and Mix are brief stops when flipping through the dial, but that’s about it. Mix used to be slightly better than the other two after 9 PM. Now I can’t really tell a difference. Alice is sometimes worth tuning into after 6 PM.

If all goes well tomorrow, I will be driving back with a car with XM Satellite Radio.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 29, 2016, 04:46:13 PM »

Through all the personnel reductions and format changes, one constant remains -- frequently
in the afternoons, all of the stations on my car radio presets are running commercials at the
same time.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 30, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
So I found out my new ride also has HD Radio! I looked into getting one for home a few years ago but was turned off because well...almost all of them had a very ugly design. I ended up getting a HD walkman but don’t listen to it much because it requires batteries or a computer cord and had no external speakers. I shelved the idea after that.

I was flipping through the stations and found the following still active on HD2:

Alice @ 97.3: Chill Radio (I remember this one from years back) and, on HD3: Radio Disney
97.7: Air One Christian Radio (Nothing on 104.5, however)
98.1 The Breeze: Classic R&B
Star 101.3: Pride Radio (This one has also been around awhile)
103.7 iHeart80s: Bloomberg
Live 105: Indie Radio (The HD Channel used to be Classic Alternative; I think they switched over last year)

Looking at Amazon, there’s a new one that has speakers, an AC Adaptor, and doesn’t look too bad. I may have to get one for the home now that pretty much everything on HD-1 is unlistenable: https://www.amazon.com/SPARC-SHD-TX2-Portable-Speaker-Emergency/dp/B00VIVD7ZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472587598&sr=1-1&keywords=HD+Radio

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 31, 2016, 06:37:23 AM »
So I found out my new ride also has HD Radio! I looked into getting one for home a few years ago but was turned off because well...almost all of them had a very ugly design. I ended up getting a HD walkman but don’t listen to it much because it requires batteries or a computer cord and had no external speakers. I shelved the idea after that.

I was flipping through the stations and found the following still active on HD2:

Alice @ 97.3: Chill Radio (I remember this one from years back) and, on HD3: Radio Disney
98.1 The Breeze: Classic R&B
Star 101.3: Pride Radio (This one has also been around awhile)
103.7 iHeart80s: Bloomberg
Live 105: Indie Radio (The HD Channel used to be Classic Alternative; I think they switched over last year)

Looking at Amazon, there’s a new one that has speakers, an AC Adaptor, and doesn’t look too bad. I may have to get one for the home now that pretty much everything on HD-1 is unlistenable: https://www.amazon.com/SPARC-SHD-TX2-Portable-Speaker-Emergency/dp/B00VIVD7ZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1472587598&sr=1-1&keywords=HD+Radio

I have iHeart60s on HD2 in the car. The playlist at first was completely predictable, but now it's not. Other HD2 stations I like are The Delta, which has a mix of blues from all eras, including very early acoustic, and the music option of our local public/NPR station (Portland, OR).
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 31, 2016, 09:25:45 AM »
So I found out my new ride also has HD Radio...

Interesting -- remember when KFOG's HD-2 was all-10@10-all-the-time?  I wonder when that ended.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: August 31, 2016, 01:02:22 PM »
So I found out my new ride also has HD Radio...

Interesting -- remember when KFOG's HD-2 was all-10@10-all-the-time?  I wonder when that ended.

Guessing it was some time after Dave retired. Wasn't there some conflict over the station replaying 10@10s with his voice without compensation?
Let's get right to it.