Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461615 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1350 on: January 20, 2016, 07:52:33 PM »
Looks like this hasn't been mentioned here, but Big Rick has been cashiered from his afternoon drive shift and is only doing weekends and fill-in at KFOX as of a week or two ago. No idea who's taken his slot, but a drag for him. Regarding the KFOG playlist, I still fondly recall him once saying "I don't write the menu, I just serve the food."

Tim Jeffries and Rick effectively swapped gigs -- Tim's doing the Weekdays and Rick is weekends. He said on FB that this was his choice, so that he can do more "community work" or something.

Tim had a short retirement. "I am afraid my days of working in corporate radio are over" will go down as this century's "Read my lips: no new taxes!"

http://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/KSAN-s-Jeffreys-From-radio-DJ-to-real-estate-6641664.php
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: February 08, 2016, 09:32:26 AM »
Saturday was "Metallica AFD" on the Bone.  I went to the grocery store and home, and am good on Metallica for the rest of the year.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: February 08, 2016, 09:46:39 AM »
Saturday was "Metallica AFD" on the Bone.  I went to the grocery store and home, and am good on Metallica for the rest of the year.

LOL. I assume they played "Enter Sandman" roughly every 90 minutes?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: February 08, 2016, 02:06:44 PM »
103.7 is now “Big 103.7: The Biggest Hits of the 80s and More”.

http://big1037.iheart.com

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: February 08, 2016, 03:11:28 PM »
103.7 is now “Big 103.7: The Biggest Hits of the 80s and More”.

http://big1037.iheart.com

Yeah. They seem to tweak themselves every 6 weeks. They've inherited all the '80s stuff that Kiss-FM got rid of.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 01, 2016, 09:47:41 AM »
Cumulus drops its option to buy KSJO, pulls the plug on NASH in the south bay.

http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/151049/nash-fm-no-longer-on-ksjo-san-francisco

Have to wonder if the "international format" that's currently occupying that frequency will continue, or if it's just a placeholder til they come up with a better option.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 13, 2016, 03:52:45 PM »
Holee crap: 98.1 Kiss-FM just became "The Breeze" -- the Bay Area's new station for relaxing music at work. WTFF??

There are a number of "Lighter than 'Lite'" formats around the country -- mostly in areas with lots of retirees, like Florida.  Doing it in SF seems pretty nutty to me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 13, 2016, 07:33:22 PM »
Holee crap: 98.1 Kiss-FM just became "The Breeze" -- the Bay Area's new station for relaxing music at work. WTFF??

There are a number of "Lighter than 'Lite'" formats around the country -- mostly in areas with lots of retirees, like Florida.  Doing it in SF seems pretty nutty to me.

"10,000 relaxing favorites in a row, commercial-free!" Listened a bit in the car -- gotta hand it to 'em, they're playing songs no one else in the market is playing. It's basically all the songs KOIT stopped playing years ago when they started chasing a younger demo.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 15, 2016, 07:39:05 PM »

"10,000 relaxing favorites in a row, commercial-free!" Listened a bit in the car -- gotta hand it to 'em, they're playing songs no one else in the market is playing. It's basically all the songs KOIT stopped playing years ago when they started chasing a younger demo.

Oddly enough, I found myself listening to this station the past couple of days.  You're right, Mike -- no one is playing many of these songs ever since KOIT changed their format.  Songs I heard the past few days (off the top of my head):

Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love
Quincy Jones/James Ingram - Just Once
Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be You're Everything
Chicago - You're The Inspiration
Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Commodores - Easy
plus some numbers by Shania Twain, Michael Bolton, and Adele (Someone Like You)...

And the bumpers between songs have the old KOIT-type feel to them...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 07:43:08 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 18, 2016, 09:45:06 PM »

Oddly enough, I found myself listening to this station the past couple of days.  You're right, Mike -- no one is playing many of these songs ever since KOIT changed their format.  Songs I heard the past few days (off the top of my head):

Bobby Caldwell - What You Won't Do For Love
Quincy Jones/James Ingram - Just Once
Andy Gibb - I Just Want To Be You're Everything
Chicago - You're The Inspiration
Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now
Commodores - Easy
plus some numbers by Shania Twain, Michael Bolton, and Adele (Someone Like You)...

And the bumpers between songs have the old KOIT-type feel to them...

Huey Lewis & The News - If This Is It
Patti Austin & James Ingram - Baby, Come To Me
Madonna - Crazy For You
Elton John - Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine - Can't Stay Away From You
plus songs from Air Supply, Kelly Clarkson and Huey Lewis/Gwenyth Paltrow...

I'm starting to here some songs repeat.  And I'm finally hearing actual DJs speak between songs -- initially I only heard the musical bumpers.
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: April 19, 2016, 08:38:54 AM »

I'm starting to here some songs repeat.  And I'm finally hearing actual DJs speak between songs -- initially I only heard the musical bumpers.

Yeah there's a lot of repetition -- And I don't listen much, only when I'm in the car. I think I've heard Michael McDonald "I Keep Forgettin" 3 times since Wednesday.

If I punch them up and they're playing some '70s nugget I haven't heard in a while, I stick with them; but as soon as Celine or Mariah show up, I'm outta there :)  BTW, per a post on FB, longtime market DJ Lisa St Regis will be doing mid-morings on "The Breeze" starting this week; apparently they'll be adding jocks sooner than later.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:01:41 AM by RGMike »

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 19, 2016, 09:44:37 PM »
Benny Mardones - Into The Night
Gloria Estefan & Miami Sound Machine - Anything For You
Elton John - Nikita
Dido - Thank You
plus "I Keep Forgettin'", "After The Love Is Gone", and "Your The Inspiration".

Lisa St. Regis was one of the DJs I heard (and it was mid-morning).

Haven't heard mid-70s Chicago, James Taylor, or Gino Vannelli's "I Just Wanna Stop" yet...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 09:46:08 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: April 20, 2016, 08:06:06 AM »

Lisa St. Regis was one of the DJs I heard (and it was mid-morning).

They kept Tony Sandoval too.  Tho' I suspect he won't be doing his Sunday Nite Oldies.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 22, 2016, 04:33:45 PM »
Man, even though it skewed a little pop, 98.1 was a R&B standby in my presets when KFOG got old, KQED was too cerebral, and KSCU gets too weird.

So, out of protest, I've flipped KFOG 97.7 to Alice 97.3 (but I almost never listen to it, just hit it and bump up two times to see what crap KFOG is playing now).

98.1 has been replaced by KBLX 102.7, which isn't quite a replacement for Kiss FM but it'll have to do. Man, I've got two more presets I seldom hit at all. I think I switched the last one to The Bone, but I can almost never hang with that. Made my 12-yo son and our neighbor friend (12-yo girl) listen to a little Led on the way home from Taiko class a few weeks ago. So there's that.

Man... do I have an open slot? Suggestions? I'm in South Bay, so reception may vary.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: April 22, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
Man, even though it skewed a little pop, 98.1 was a R&B standby in my presets when KFOG got old, KQED was too cerebral, and KSCU gets too weird.

So, out of protest, I've flipped KFOG 97.7 to Alice 97.3 (but I almost never listen to it, just hit it and bump up two times to see what crap KFOG is playing now).

98.1 has been replaced by KBLX 102.7, which isn't quite a replacement for Kiss FM but it'll have to do. Man, I've got two more presets I seldom hit at all. I think I switched the last one to The Bone, but I can almost never hang with that. Made my 12-yo son and our neighbor friend (12-yo girl) listen to a little Led on the way home from Taiko class a few weeks ago. So there's that.

Man... do I have an open slot? Suggestions? I'm in South Bay, so reception may vary.

I always preferred K-FOX to The Bone, tho' they've been thru several "tweaks" since they revamped back when they hired Annalisa. Not sure how different/similar they are to The Bone these days. If you're jonesing for '80s, 103.7 is mostly that decade now, with a sprinkling of '70s. I'm guessing they're going to be more upbeat now to contrast with sister station "The Breeze".

I listen to KCSM more than ever these days, but you may not have my tolerance for jazz.