Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461243 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1410 on: June 20, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
Posted this in the "Regional 10@10s" area, but there is now a blog, written by a couple of (presumably) Local-NY listeners to The Peak, which rates each day's 10@10...

https://howmanyfinks.wordpress.com/
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: June 22, 2017, 06:23:53 PM »
Posted this in the "Regional 10@10s" area, but there is now a blog, written by a couple of (presumably) Local-NY listeners to The Peak, which rates each day's 10@10...

https://howmanyfinks.wordpress.com/

BTW, emailed the blog guy and he responded -- He actually googled and found this board and has been exploring the comments.  He's also named Mike -- welcome Finksters!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: August 06, 2017, 02:38:37 PM »
Worth a mention: the Peak has added a weekend 10@10 marathon to their sked.  Sunday afternoons at 4 Eastern/1 Pacific, all 5 shows in Mon-thru-Fri order.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: September 08, 2017, 05:52:43 PM »
in the car earlier, punching around the dial... Live 105 and The Bone were both playing Green Day's "When I Come around" at the same time.

But then I switched to JJ on KPOO and he played "Pusherman" and all was well again.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: September 29, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »
Meant to mention that The Sound (KSWD) in L.A., A Classic Rocker and home of one of the many 10@10s we keep track of here,  will be going off the air by the end of October. The station was sold as part of the CBS Radio/Entercom merger; Entercom has to divest itself of a bunch of stations. KSWD was bought by a Christian media company which will turn it into yet another affiliate of their "K-LOVE" format. Sad.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: October 06, 2017, 08:48:41 AM »
Latest ratings: KFOG holding steady with a 1.8; KOIT and The Breeze tied; The Bone doing pretty well with a 2.6; KNBR had their worst summer in ages thanks to the cellar-dwelling Giants.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: October 06, 2017, 01:51:30 PM »
Mix 106 just dumped their long running morning show, Bill and Marla/Pope and Marla (after Bill died.) Unsurprisingly, listeners on their Facebook page are not happy. (Sound familiar?)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:54:44 PM by radical347 »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: October 06, 2017, 07:06:03 PM »
Punched up KFOG earlier and they were playing PG's "Solsbury Hill". That's the first pre-1984 song I've heard on the station in 18 months.  Of course, after that it was right back to Snooze Babbler etc but still.

I looked at the Mediabase KFOG playlist page to see if there is a trend emerging... not really. I counted 2 or 3 pre-'84 songs on their "oldies" list ("Train in Vain", "Brass in Pocket"). That's 2 or 3 out of several hundred, not counting Petty's "American Girl", played when he died.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:07:49 PM by RGMike »

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: October 09, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »
I don't think they're going to go back to skewing older, but IMO their current selection (and recent recurrents) has become significantly more interesting under the new PD. Their 90s selection still needs help.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: October 10, 2017, 07:35:56 PM »
Meant to mention that The Sound (KSWD) in L.A., A Classic Rocker and home of one of the many 10@10s we keep track of here,  will be going off the air by the end of October. The station was sold as part of the CBS Radio/Entercom merger; Entercom has to divest itself of a bunch of stations. KSWD was bought by a Christian media company which will turn it into yet another affiliate of their "K-LOVE" format. Sad.

So we've now found out what CBS/Entercom is getting rid of (and keeping) in the SF market

https://radioinsight.com/headlines/120286/entercom-narrows-16-stations-divested-complete-cbs-radio-merger/

Oddly, they're getting rid of 4 of their most successful stations (“99.7 Now” KMVQ, 96.5 KOIT (!), San Jose's “98.5 K-Fox”, and  102.9 KBLX) while keeping such ratings also-rans as  “95.7 The Game” and “Live 105”. Of course they're also keeping KCBS and Alice 97.3.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: October 24, 2017, 11:51:44 AM »
The FCC today approved removal of the rule requiring radio stations to maintain a "main studio" in the community in which they're licensed. This will allow radio conglomerates to manage and program stations in multiple markets without having to actually have a physical presence there beyond a phone number.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/170824/fcc-votes-to-eliminate-main-studio-rule

If the community service part of their license requirements weren't eliminated before this, they certainly are now.
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: October 24, 2017, 11:16:11 PM »
The FCC today approved removal of the rule requiring radio stations to maintain a "main studio" in the community in which they're licensed. This will allow radio conglomerates to manage and program stations in multiple markets without having to actually have a physical presence there beyond a phone number.

https://www.allaccess.com/net-news/archive/story/170824/fcc-votes-to-eliminate-main-studio-rule

If the community service part of their license requirements weren't eliminated before this, they certainly are now.

While I don't necessarily support this ruling, I can foresee the possibility of a day when there
are no radio or television stations as we know them.  Instead, all of the broadcast frequencies
would be used for wireless networking.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: December 22, 2017, 05:11:08 PM »
"Live 105" has gotten a slight rebrand, "The New Alt 105.3" but still has the tag "The Bay Area's Alternative." Happened about 10 minutes ago...but so far, the first three songs would suggest that this station leans newer/more indie than before.