Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456383 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1305 on: January 06, 2015, 12:31:54 PM »
I recommend a show called Mix Tape (DJ is Future Man) on KZSU Stanford, 90.1 FM. It has been running from 7-10 A.M. on Tuesdays the past few weeks. I live less than 10 miles from Stanford and can barely get the station in my house (though it comes in great in my car), so you'll probably have to stream. Here is this morning's playlist (I heard parts of the third to last and penultimate sets):

http://zookeeper.stanford.edu/index.php?action=viewDate&seq=selList&playlist=29299&session=
wow, that is seriously all-over-the-place. In a good way.
Its hear seems to be in the Sixties, though. Also in a good way.

I kind of expected him to close with "In The Hall of The Mountain King," but maybe that was too obvious?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: January 19, 2015, 12:49:20 PM »
BFT's latest column, about how hard it is to find radio that isn't aimed at kids.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/A-Boomer-in-search-of-a-morning-radio-show-6015755.php
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: January 20, 2015, 12:24:08 PM »
Back-to-back heavy psychedelia on The Bone (key word for today's Hot Lunch is insects): Helter Skelter and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (key word relates to the band names here, of course). This In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida has been going on for a while. I think the Weed Man is going to roll the entire 17:05 album version. If folks at corporate HQ are listening, I'm sure they're pleased.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: January 20, 2015, 12:29:50 PM »
Back-to-back heavy psychedelia on The Bone (key word for today's Hot Lunch is insects): Helter Skelter and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida (key word relates to the band names here, of course). This In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida has been going on for a while. I think the Weed Man is going to roll the entire 17:05 album version. If folks at corporate HQ are listening, I'm sure they're pleased.

That was the best 17:05 I've heard on local radio in a while!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: January 20, 2015, 12:32:21 PM »

That was the best 17:05 I've heard on local radio in a while!

Wow -- that's impressive, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwtgaQZYDI
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:35:11 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: January 28, 2015, 06:58:56 PM »
Peter Finch just posted to his FB page that several people were let go at KGO yesterday, and he was one of them.

Drag. Hope he catches on someplace else fairly soon.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: January 28, 2015, 07:43:55 PM »
Peter Finch just posted to his FB page that several people were let go at KGO yesterday, and he was one of them.

Drag. Hope he catches on someplace else fairly soon.

Well the KFOG Morning Show could use a credible news source (they don't do news at all since the new configuration began).
But that ain't gonna happen.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: January 28, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
BFT's latest column, about how hard it is to find radio that isn't aimed at kids.

http://www.sfgate.com/entertainment/radiowaves/article/A-Boomer-in-search-of-a-morning-radio-show-6015755.php

Actually, my read on that was different. Yes, he's 65, but his main gripe wasn't about radio for kids. It was that KFOG wasn't playing enough *new* music.

What the what?

KFOG, at least in the morning, has turned into an oldies station and doesn’t have the community feel that it used to ... and the music is predictable, despite all of their talk about their huge library. I’m 65, still buy music, still go to shows, and still like to hear new good music. Where can I go for this now? There’s lots of people my age that I see at concerts that obviously like new music. Why is it that there’s is no radio station for us? I know Arbitron is all about 14-35-year-olds, but my age group has disposable income … yet everyone seems to be ignoring us or think that we only like bands like U2.”

I commented:
Funny Ben -- I'm no boomer (44!), but excepting the oldies-fest that is KFOG's current A-Z programming, I actually think KFOG has gotten a lot of flack from boomers for playing too many new artists, especially ones that not (sic) may not fit the "classical" rock genre.

I mean -- Sam Smith is a frequent spin, as is Hozier. I wish they'd be willing to play music like Nikki Bluhm and the Gramblers or Grace Potter and the Nocturnals more, which seems like it would be a perfect bridge between fans of the Dead and younger folks.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 05, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Listening to my buddy Brian Bannon on WLNG -- he read a news item about Gary Glitter being in trouble yet again for child molesting... and then he played "Little Children" by Billy J Kramer.   

A few minutes later he played "Get Down" by Gilbert O and I said "you couldn't play 'Clair'??"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 18, 2015, 03:08:50 PM »
logged onto Gold (formerly Capital Gold) for the first time in ages and discovered our old DJ friend Dean Martin is long gone from there, along with nearly everyone else. They have TWO jocks, a weekday morning guy and a weekend morning guy and are jockless the rest of the time.  And they're not even owned by Cumulus!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 03:12:02 PM by RGMike »

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 25, 2015, 06:29:10 PM »
Ran across this analysis of what constitutes "classic rock" and why from the Five-thirty-eight folks. Wonder how this may inform some of the 10@10 selections as well. Interesting, although they chose KUFX to monitor in San Francisco, shortly before it pulled out of the market.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-classic-rock-isnt-what-it-used-to-be/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 25, 2015, 06:48:13 PM »
Ran across this analysis of what constitutes "classic rock" and why from the Five-thirty-eight folks. Wonder how this may inform some of the 10@10 selections as well. Interesting, although they chose KUFX to monitor in San Francisco, shortly before it pulled out of the market.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-classic-rock-isnt-what-it-used-to-be/

K-Fox was the closest to a "pure" classic rock format that SF had; The Bone has traditionally had a harder edge (more AC/DC and less pop-leaning stuff, tho' they have eased off on some of that lately). But stations do vary in that regard, there's no one monolithic format. I don't think either K-Fox or The Bone ever plays Billy Joel but he's #1 in NYC *and* Miami. And NYC's classic rocker, WAXQ (Q-104) is one of the worst stations around, as far as having a limited, repetitive, "same 300 songs repeated endlessly" type playlist.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 28, 2015, 05:59:41 PM »
For those with NYC roots, Vin Scelsa announced tonite that he is retiring. His last show on WFUV will be Saturday May 2nd.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 29, 2015, 08:45:03 PM »
For those with NYC roots, Vin Scelsa announced tonite that he is retiring. His last show on WFUV will be Saturday May 2nd.

Sorry to hear that, but I am not at all surprised, what with his apparently declining health in the past couple of years, and the fact that part or all of his shows of late have been recorded in advance for airing on Saturday nights. And really, how many others from the glory days of NYC radio (WNEW, K-ROCK, etc.) are still on the air? Is Dennis Elsas still doing a show on FUV?
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 30, 2015, 07:38:48 AM »

Sorry to hear that, but I am not at all surprised, what with his apparently declining health in the past couple of years, and the fact that part or all of his shows of late have been recorded in advance for airing on Saturday nights. And really, how many others from the glory days of NYC radio (WNEW, K-ROCK, etc.) are still on the air? Is Dennis Elsas still doing a show on FUV?

Elsas is still there. And Pat St John of WPLJ has been doing a weekend show on 'CBS-FM but he also announced this weekend that he's retiring.