Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461772 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1275 on: August 18, 2014, 08:09:41 PM »
in the car earlier, I punched up the new Q-102 just in time for the Fugees' cover of "Killing Me Softly" which I hadn't heard in quite some time -- now it's at the top of my wish-list next time AL does 1996.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: August 26, 2014, 01:52:30 PM »
in the car earlier, I punched up the new Q-102 just in time for the Fugees' cover of "Killing Me Softly" which I hadn't heard in quite some time -- now it's at the top of my wish-list next time AL does 1996.

follow-up: over the weekend, we had KMEL on at the gym, and they played (surprise!) the same Fugees cover of "Killing Me Softly" -- and KMEL rarely plays anything that old. Coincidence?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: September 03, 2014, 09:09:07 AM »
August ratings are out: K-Fox, which switched formats a month ago on its SF frequency,  is (unsurprisingly) down from a 2.1 to a 1.3.  So... where did all those rock-loving listeners go? Not to The Bone or KFOG, apparently, since both stations were down slightly. WTF?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: September 25, 2014, 11:56:23 AM »
why I love WLNG, part XLVIII: My buddy Mr Bannon just played both versions of JT's "Carolina in My Mind" -- the orig, hard-to-find Apple version from '68 and the '76 Warners remake -- back-to-back. Long may they wave.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: September 27, 2014, 07:04:24 PM »
Listening to Magic 98's "Saturday at the '70s" as I often do on weekends, and their deejay was doing her last show at the station -- she was actually allowed to say goodbye on the air (rare these days) and she closed the show with "Last Dance". Awwwww...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: October 01, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
September radio ratings are out and once again, KFOG, The Bone and Live 105 are each down a tenth-of-a-point.  Still wondering where all those disenfranchised K-Fox listeners went. Maybe Oldies 103.7 (or "Big" or whatever they're calling themselves this month) which actually is up a couple of ticks.  Yeah, people who love "Killer Queen" wanna hear "American Pie" 27 times a week, uh-huh.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: December 06, 2014, 03:52:19 PM »
It seems that, in the last week or so, 103.7 has become much more '80s-centric. Used to be pretty even split between '70s and '80s, with a '60s song or 2 per hour. '60s I fear are gone (much like NY's 'CBS-FM famously did earlier this year) and it seems to be 60% '80s vs. 40% '70s.  Bye-bye Miss American Pie, for realz.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: December 08, 2014, 10:43:02 AM »
It seems that, in the last week or so, 103.7 has become much more '80s-centric. Used to be pretty even split between '70s and '80s, with a '60s song or 2 per hour. '60s I fear are gone (much like NY's 'CBS-FM famously did earlier this year) and it seems to be 60% '80s vs. 40% '70s.  Bye-bye Miss American Pie, for realz.

You may be right. I was donating blood yesterday, and they had one of the local oldies stations playing, which was heavily promoting their "80s weekend." (I don't know what they play during the week, I never listen to this station.) Just another sign that the population is aging, and the generation that came of age in the 80s are now the demographic being most aggressively targeted.

While I was sitting there, I heard my first rock Christmas song for this year: the Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping. Gotta say I enjoyed it, although hearing it the first week of December seemed a little early.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: December 08, 2014, 10:46:37 AM »
Just another sign that the population is aging, and the generation that came of age in the 80s are now the demographic being most aggressively targeted.

Yes, yes and yes. This is a response I often give to those who lament the lack of older material on the radio (or other outlet). We (including me) are getting older, might as well adjust.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:36 AM »

You may be right. I was donating blood yesterday, and they had one of the local oldies stations playing, which was heavily promoting their "80s weekend." (I don't know what they play during the week, I never listen to this station.) Just another sign that the population is aging, and the generation that came of age in the 80s are now the demographic being most aggressively targeted.

While I was sitting there, I heard my first rock Christmas song for this year: the Waitresses' Christmas Wrapping. Gotta say I enjoyed it, although hearing it the first week of December seemed a little early.

NYC's 'CBS-FM recently purged the '60s songs from their library, and hired '80s NY super-deejay Scott Shannon, and they're doing fantastically well. So stations around the country are jumping on that bandwagon.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: December 08, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »

NYC's 'CBS-FM recently purged the '60s songs from their library, and hired '80s NY super-deejay Scott Shannon, and they're doing fantastically well. So stations around the country are jumping on that bandwagon.

35-54 demo FTW!
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: December 23, 2014, 09:26:18 AM »
Latest ratings are out: KNBR, now that baseball is over, plummeted from an 8.9 to a 3.7 (!). KOIT's all-Xmas, predictably, gave them a bump up.

And KFOG, after months of struggling, suddenly shot back up from 1.6 to 2.1, which is something of a surprise -- in fact a lot of music stations were up by a lot (KMEL, KYLD, Kiss-FM, KBLX -- that can't just be Giants bandwagon-jumpers looking for something to do between now and April).

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: January 03, 2015, 11:05:58 AM »
This is weird. The Bone is doing "years" right now. They started at 10 with 1981 and at 11 they switched to 1978. Unsurprisingly, every song has been an über LN.
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: January 03, 2015, 11:31:13 AM »
This is weird. The Bone is doing "years" right now. They started at 10 with 1981 and at 11 they switched to 1978. Unsurprisingly, every song has been an über LN.

Styx's Renegade is the closest thing to a rarity so far in either hour. Right now we're celebrating our annual Journey around the Wheel in the Sky. Wait a minute, don't we turn around the wheel in the sky? Why does the wheel in the sky keep on turning, then? Maybe they're talking about the moon? I'd better not think on this too hard . . .
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: January 03, 2015, 11:55:17 AM »

Styx's Renegade is the closest thing to a rarity so far in either hour. Right now we're celebrating our annual Journey around the Wheel in the Sky. Wait a minute, don't we turn around the wheel in the sky? Why does the wheel in the sky keep on turning, then? Maybe they're talking about the moon? I'd better not think on this too hard . . .

Aha. Jaeger just announced the Bone is doing a "Years in Your Ears" weekend, which I'm guessing means they'll be switching years once an hour until Sunday night, except for special shows.
Slipping into something