Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 461808 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #1290 on: January 03, 2015, 01:01:43 PM »
"Years in Your Ears" Weekend

I LOVE ROCK & ROLL
JOAN JETT
10:58 AM

Bringin' On the Heartbreak
Def Leppard
10:53 AM

Start Me Up
The Rolling Stones
10:44 AM

Flying High Again
Ozzy Osbourne
10:36 AM

Limelight
Rush
10:26 AM

Don't Stop Believin'
Journey
10:22 AM

Urgent
Foreigner
10:13 AM

Burnin' for You
Blue Öyster Cult
10:09 AM

For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)
AC/DC
10:02 AM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 01:03:26 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: January 03, 2015, 01:03:06 PM »

Good Times Roll
The Cars
11:54 AM

Roll With the Changes
REO Speedwagon
11:48 AM

Miss You
The Rolling Stones
11:43 AM

Straight On
Heart
11:32 AM

Wheel In the Sky
Journey
11:28 AM

Don't Look Back
Boston
11:21 AM

Double Vision
Foreigner
11:18 AM

Renegade
Styx
11:14 AM

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Van Halen
11:01 AM
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: January 03, 2015, 01:07:19 PM »

This relies more on pop metal than your average Drive/Arrow/Sound '89 set, but still features Tom Petty and, for me, the ultimate A/F on the good/necessary scale, Rockin' in the Free World (which for some reason isn't on the Tunegenie, but was between Tesla and Lita Ford, I think).

Close My Eyes Forever
Lita Ford
12:55 PM

Love Song
Tesla
12:45 PM

Runnin' Down a Dream
Tom Petty
12:41 PM

18 And Life
Skid Row
12:37 PM

Fire Woman
The Cult
12:26 PM

Water Song / Janie's Got a Gun
Aerosmith
12:21 PM

Once Bitten, Twice Shy
Great White
12:16 PM

Crossfire
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
12:06 PM

Dr. Feelgood
Mötley Crüe
12:01 PM
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: January 03, 2015, 03:50:47 PM »

There's a hole in the Tunegenie (which included Tom Cochran's Life Is a Highway and acoustic Layla before I stopped listening), but yes it appears they played STP and AIC twice in the same hour/year. Is that a new low in frequent flying?

Sex Type Thing
Stone Temple Pilots
1:53 PM

Rooster
Alice In Chains
1:46 PM

November Rain
Guns N' Roses
1:22 PM

Remedy
The Black Crowes
1:11 PM

Down In a Hole
Alice In Chains
1:05 PM

Plush
Stone Temple Pilots
1:00 PM
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: January 03, 2015, 03:52:39 PM »

In the Mood
Robert Plant
2:52 PM

Rainbow In the Dark
Dio
2:44 PM

Sister Christian
Night Ranger
2:34 PM

Sharp Dressed Man
ZZ Top
2:22 PM

She's a Beauty
The Tubes
2:10 PM

Photograph
Def Leppard
2:06 PM

New Year's Day
U2
2:01 PM
Slipping into something

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: January 03, 2015, 03:58:03 PM »
yeah just punched The Bone up in the car and they were doing 1979: "In the City", "Head Games", some AC/DC song.  The lists posted above are painfully predictable and I'm wondering how far back they're going (I'm gonna guess no further than '76 or so) and what's the most-recent year they've featured ('94?).

Being in the car more often lately means I punch them up on occasion and quite often they're playing a song I don't recognize at all, meaning it's probably a hard-rock hit from the '90s when nobody in the Bay Area (save perhaps KSJO) was playing such stuff, and when I was listening to KFOG, Live 105, KDIA and country stuff. 
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: January 03, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »

Hey, let's start off with a double shot of Robert Plant/Led Zeppelin (piggybacking off the end of '83) and play Petty, ZZ and VH again because it's been, like, an hour or two since they've been on. Also, kicking off the extravaganza with both Journey and Foreigner in both '81 and '78 was good, but we'd better get back to them now because a whole four hours have passed. Rock 'n' roll!

Beautiful Girls
Van Halen
3:50 PM

Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd
3:43 PM

Just the Same Way
Journey
3:40 PM

Highway to Hell
AC/DC
3:29 PM

Head Games
Foreigner
3:26 PM

I Thank You
ZZ Top
3:18 PM

Heartbreaker
Pat Benatar
3:15 PM

Dream Police
Cheap Trick
3:11 PM

Rock & Roll Fantasy
Bad Company
3:07 PM

Don't Do Me Like That
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
3:04 PM

Fool In the Rain
Led Zeppelin
2:58 PM
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 04:29:09 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: January 03, 2015, 04:07:49 PM »

yes it appears they played STP and AIC twice in the same hour/year. Is that a new low in frequent flying?

it's an indication of how few '90s songs are stone (no pun intended) "classics" that have made it into rotation at these kinds of stations. When you think of what was huge on KFOG or Live 105 in '92, not a lot of it is likely to be a Bone "classic" -- kd lang, Lyle Lovett, Neil Young's Harvest Moon album, Toad/Sprocket, the Cure, REM, Soup Dragons...   

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: January 03, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
I'm wondering how far back they're going (I'm gonna guess no further than '76 or so) and what's the most-recent year they've featured ('94?).

So far the range is '78-'92, but '73 is ground zero for classic rock in general and has enough hard rockin' tunes for the TURBO-DRIVEN classic rock of The Bone, so I'm thinking the time machine will travel back that far. And if they're sticking with the theme in the wee hours, maybe they'll drop in a 1968-70 at 2 A.M. or so.

In general, yah, they need to open up the phone lines like they do for the All-Request Lunch because we're at a -143 on a 1-10 creativity scale.

Right now we're rockin' in 1985, with a Crüe encore, Thorogood and Dire Straits/Sting for starters!
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: January 03, 2015, 04:19:38 PM »

yes it appears they played STP and AIC twice in the same hour/year. Is that a new low in frequent flying?

it's an indication of how few '90s songs are stone (no pun intended) "classics" that have made it into rotation at these kinds of stations. When you think of what was huge on KFOG or Live 105 in '92, not a lot of it is likely to be a Bone "classic" -- kd lang, Lyle Lovett, Neil Young's Harvest Moon album, Toad/Sprocket, the Cure, REM, Soup Dragons...

Still, though, go with the tried-and-true Alive or Smells Like Teen Spirit over a song from the same band in the same hour. Maybe one or both of those featured in the Tunegenie hole, but c'mon guys, try just a little.
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: January 03, 2015, 04:28:13 PM »
I'm wondering how far back they're going (I'm gonna guess no further than '76 or so) and what's the most-recent year they've featured ('94?).

So far the range is '78-'92, but '73 is ground zero for classic rock in general and has enough hard rockin' tunes for the TURBO-DRIVEN classic rock of The Bone, so I'm thinking the time machine will travel back that far. And if they're sticking with the theme in the wee hours, maybe they'll drop in a 1968-70 at 2 A.M. or so.

In general, yah, they need to open up the phone lines like they do for the All-Request Lunch because we're at a -143 on a 1-10 creativity scale.

Right now we're rockin' in 1985, with a Crüe encore, Thorogood and Dire Straits/Sting for starters!

Don't Come Around Here No More!

The over/under on Petty representation is 50% of the years played (if he gets two songs in the same year, the extra song will count towards a separate year). Place your bets!

Born in the U.S.A. Took long enough to get to the Boss (missed out on a chance in '78).
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: January 03, 2015, 11:58:20 PM »

Still, though, go with the tried-and-true Alive or Smells Like Teen Spirit over a song from the same band in the same hour. Maybe one or both of those featured in the Tunegenie hole, but c'mon guys, try just a little.

So far the boundaries are 1977-1992, and they've hit all the years in that range except '87 and '88. They ended up saving Alive and Smells Like Teen Spirit for the '91 hour, though November Rain featured in both '92 and '91. Here's a link to the playlists:

http://ksan.tunegenie.com
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: January 06, 2015, 11:24:21 AM »
I recommend a show called Mix Tape (DJ is Future Man) on KZSU Stanford, 90.1 FM. It has been running from 7-10 A.M. on Tuesdays the past few weeks. I live less than 10 miles from Stanford and can barely get the station in my house (though it comes in great in my car), so you'll probably have to stream. Here is this morning's playlist (I heard parts of the third to last and penultimate sets):

http://zookeeper.stanford.edu/index.php?action=viewDate&seq=selList&playlist=29299&session=
Slipping into something

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: January 06, 2015, 11:35:21 AM »
I recommend a show called Mix Tape (DJ is Future Man) on KZSU Stanford, 90.1 FM. It has been running from 7-10 A.M. on Tuesdays the past few weeks. I live less than 10 miles from Stanford and can barely get the station in my house (though it comes in great in my car), so you'll probably have to stream. Here is this morning's playlist (I heard parts of the third to last and penultimate sets):

http://zookeeper.stanford.edu/index.php?action=viewDate&seq=selList&playlist=29299&session=

wow, that is seriously all-over-the-place. In a good way.

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: January 06, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »

wow, that is seriously all-over-the-place. In a good way.

Its heart seems to be in the Sixties, though. Also in a good way.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:31:16 AM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something