Author Topic: Local (and other) radio news  (Read 456276 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Local (and other) radio news
« Reply #885 on: March 07, 2012, 12:22:09 PM »
Rush (the band) hates Rush (the Limbaugh):

http://blog.sfgate.com/hottopics/2012/03/07/rockers-rush-gabriel-want-music-off-limbaugh-show/?tsp=1

Spirit of radio, indeed.  Limbaugh's popular with sayyyyyyyyylesmayun.

good comment:

"Rush rocks. Can't they make Limbaugh change his name too?"
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: March 07, 2012, 07:43:35 PM »
I got the Sound's email today:

"The Sound A to Z 2012 is over for now, but we’re still playing a wide range of music – everything from The Monkees to Nirvana.  Why?  Listener input has all been saying the same thing: 'I’m lovin’ A to Z, but would you put these cool songs on shuffle when A to Z is over, too?'

Done.

So far this week, during your drive to work, we’ve played…

“I Got You (I Feel Good)” by James Brown
“Superman” by REM
“For You” by Manfred Mann
“Boom Boom” by John Lee Hooker
“Must Of Got Lost” by J. Geils Band
Just to mention a few.  Many more forgotten gems to come, every morning and all day while you work...

uh, seriously?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: March 07, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

"The Sound A to Z 2012 is over for now, but we’re still playing a wide range of music – everything from The Monkees to Nirvana.  Why?  Listener input has all been saying the same thing: 'I’m lovin’ A to Z, but would you put these cool songs on shuffle when A to Z is over, too?'

Done.

“Superman” by REM
Just to mention a few.  Many more forgotten gems to come, every morning and all day while you work...

uh, seriously?

I wonder if this is something that the DC-era KFOG will ever attempt again.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: March 08, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

Done.

“Superman” by REM

uh, seriously?

The last few non-DC years (10 & 11) we haven't gotten it either, & not to mention it was really bad in 09.  DC did say when he first took over that he was planning on bringing it back, although that was before the 'real' 'changeover'.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:44:54 AM by radical347 »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: March 08, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

Done.

“Superman” by REM

uh, seriously?

The last few non-DC years (10 & 11) we haven't gotten it either, & not to mention it was really bad in 09.  DC did say when he first took over that he was planning on bringing it back, although that was before the 'real' 'changeover'.

The first time I ever listened to it was I believe in 1999, when it lasted about two weeks. Seemingly with each subsequent run it became shorter and shorter. With the KFOG list of today, it would last about eight hours.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »
got in the car, turned on Kiss-FM and lo, they were playing Breakfast Club's "Right on Track" which I hadn't heard in several dog's ages. Another one for the 1987 AL wish-list.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: March 09, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
got in the car, turned on Kiss-FM and lo, they were playing Breakfast Club's "Right on Track" which I hadn't heard in several dog's ages. Another one for the 1987 AL wish-list.

Both IE Tim and I have requested this in vain.  Maybe she's never heard it?

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:45 PM »

TANC:  Heard this at Trader Joe's today!  It's pretty sad when the grocery store plays stuff we can't hear on 10@10. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: March 10, 2012, 10:59:58 PM »

TANC:  Heard this at Trader Joe's today!  It's pretty sad when the grocery store plays stuff we can't hear on 10@10.

OTOH, I heard "Hungry Like The Wolf" on KOIT today -- which makes it an automatic LN from here on in.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #894 on: March 10, 2012, 11:07:02 PM »

OTOH, I heard "Hungry Like The Wolf" on KOIT today -- which makes it an automatic LN from here on in.
I was waiting for my sandwiches at Charley's Market on Irving and 41st, and they were playing the Bone, who was doing a Mondegreen lunch set!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: March 11, 2012, 11:36:41 AM »
Today's Chron Datebook is focused on radio. Basically some big wet kisses blown at Live 105 (!) and Ben Fong-Torres gets to say nice things about KDOG again.  But a nice piece about Bobby "Spider" Webb from KPOO.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: March 12, 2012, 11:25:49 AM »
In a semi-related vein, big changes on the progressive talk radio scene.  I rarely get to listen to Thom Hartmann or Randi Rhodes live any more, but I sneak it in once in a while.  Today, during my prep period, I turned on my iPhone radio program to listen to some Thom Hartmann (should be required listening for anyone desiring to get up to speed on current events) and found he'd changed his time slot to go up against Randi Rhodes!  These are probably the two biggest progressive talkers, and now they're in the same slot?

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: March 12, 2012, 11:40:55 AM »
In a semi-related vein, big changes on the progressive talk radio scene.  I rarely get to listen to Thom Hartmann or Randi Rhodes live any more, but I sneak it in once in a while.  Today, during my prep period, I turned on my iPhone radio program to listen to some Thom Hartmann (should be required listening for anyone desiring to get up to speed on current events) and found he'd changed his time slot to go up against Randi Rhodes!  These are probably the two biggest progressive talkers, and now they're in the same slot?

Totally agreed on Hartmann... listening to him reminds me of a little bit of an intense college course.

OTOH, I never quite got the appeal of Rhodes... a little too "me me me" for my tastes. Stephanie Miller is far funnier (and for that matter, informative).

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: March 12, 2012, 10:05:57 PM »

Totally agreed on Hartmann... listening to him reminds me of a little bit of an intense college course.

OTOH, I never quite got the appeal of Rhodes... a little too "me me me" for my tastes. Stephanie Miller is far funnier (and for that matter, informative).
I love Stephanie, and listen to her via my earpiece in the morning on KTLK in LA.  I don't know the ratings (where do you find those sort of things?) but I think Thom and Randi are the two biggest, but I could be wrong, and I don't know what Ed Schultz' ratings are either.  Randi can be grating at times, but over the years, I've found her big picture analysis to be spot-on.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: March 19, 2012, 07:44:39 AM »
Heads-up for vintage Soul fans: KPOO's oldies guy begins a 2-part salute to Stax/Volt on his show tonite at 8:30 He'll be going chronologically; tonite will cover the Fifties thru (roughly) 1966 and part 2 next Monday will go from there thru the '70s.  Not to be missed.