Author Topic: Yet another 10@10: "The Peak"  (Read 80492 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Yet another 10@10: "The Peak"
« on: March 28, 2005, 09:26:44 AM »
On WXPK ("The Peak"), in suburban NYC (Westchester/Rockland).

http://www.1071thepeak.com/10at10/

They do stream their programming. Of course 10 in NY is 7 here... so if you're at work REALLY early...

I may check it out Friday, when I usually get to work between 7 & 7:15. But for Gaz, it's local time.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another 10@10...
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2005, 09:34:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

They do stream their programming. Of course 10 in NY is 7 here... so if you're at work REALLY early...

I may check it out Friday, when I usually get to work between 7 & 7:15. But for Gaz, it's local time.

I see they use the "ten great songs from one great year" slogan, too. Wonder what the connection is to KFOG and/or DM if there is one? My first thought was that they could be another Susquehanna station, but their "Peak Music" page says they're owned by Pamal Broadcasting.

Ah, here's the connection: their evening DJ is Paul Marszalek, who according to his bio, was once Operations Manager at KFOG.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another 10@10...
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 09:49:36 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

I see they use the "ten great songs from one great year" slogan, too. Wonder what the connection is to KFOG and/or DM if there is one? My first thought was that they could be another Susquehanna station, but their "Peak Music" page says they're owned by Pamal Broadcasting.

Ah, here's the connection: their evening DJ is Paul Marszalek, who according to his bio, was once Operations Manager at KFOG.

I remember Marszalek.  He was in charge in the mid-'90s.  I once emailed him, around the time Paul Simon's Capeman album came out, to inquire why they weren't playing it -- they did, after all, have 5 cuts from Graceland (then a 10-year-old LP) in constant rotation.  I suggested Fogheads might like to hear new Simon, rather than every Hootie clone (this was '97-ish) that came down the pike. He replied that he'd be more inclined to listen to me if my attitude were "less snotty". (!?!)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 10:52:47 AM »
I'm listening to "The Peak" right now, they are indeed quite KFOG-ish.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 07:01:09 AM »
Peaking now, with "Love My Way" presumably kicking off a set.  Which would mean 1983?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 07:19:02 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Peaking now, with "Love My Way" presumably kicking off a set.  Which would mean 1983?

Wow, WAY off.  I don't have a sense of when P-Furs did their thing since Pittsburgh utterly ignored them (as they did most modern rock).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 07:49:19 AM »
Their 1989 set was faboo today.  BOS to Sinead, "Nothing Compares 2 U."  Proxy POC vote to "Black Velvet."  Power-pop Posies, too!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 07:51:39 AM »
Their 1989 set was faboo today.  BOS to Sinead, "Nothing Compares 2 U."  Proxy POC vote to "Black Velvet."  Power-pop Posies, too!

well, the Sinead and Alannah Myles are Dave staples, so what made this set better than one of his by-the-numbers '89-ers? Aside from the Posies, that is?

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 08:43:30 AM »

Which Posies was it?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2005, 08:45:59 AM »

thank you! quite fitting since the presleys she were on oprah yesterday. from my mother: "she sang something about 'kick me when i'm up, kick me when i'm down,' and i thought 'she's not saying anything to me,' and what a shame for her father, 'cause he really had it going on."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 07:22:26 AM »
Today's set is from 1984.  Nice long trailer for All of Me, a movie I'd totally forgotten about (God love ya, Lily), abutted by fairly predictable songs (Cyndi Lauper, U2).  I like these folks b/c their between-song snippets are rather inspired.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 07:27:15 AM »
Ooh!  Some of y'all are gonna wish you'd gotten up early: Christine McVie's solo hit, "Got a Hold On Me."  Haven't heard this in ages.  Her usual understated elegance.  The more I think about it, the more I think I'd put her in my Top Ten Female Rock Voices pantheon.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 07:55:57 AM »
Ooh!  Some of y'all are gonna wish you'd gotten up early: Christine McVie's solo hit, "Got a Hold On Me."  Haven't heard this in ages.  Her usual understated elegance.  The more I think about it, the more I think I'd put her in my Top Ten Female Rock Voices pantheon.

Do they give a hint what the next day's year will be? or is it a "surprise"? I'll be early tomorrow, for sure.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 07:59:36 AM »

Do they give a hint what the next day's year will be? or is it a "surprise"? I'll be early tomorrow, for sure.

I was on the phone so I missed the ending.  But you also missed the Bangles' "Hero Takes a Fall," best female Beatles impersonation ever.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 07:05:15 AM »
Well, I'm here to get Peaked. It's 1980 today.  Which apparently is as far back as they go.  That's gotta mean serious Katrina-ism over the long haul , no?

Appropriately, we start with "I Can't Remember" (their target demo was barely born on '80 -- LOL!).