Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385835 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1005 on: February 21, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »
A lot of bad stuff too, in the early reaches.  Ringo's "Snookeroo" was OK, but man, "Sally G" SUCKS!
In this countdown we heard Ringo, Paul, and now John at #9 with "#9 Dream."  George just missed being here when his single "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" had peaked at #36 in early 2/75, in the Top 40 for just two weeks.  I wonder if all four had solo hits on AT40 at the same time??
Other Beatle-related hits that week, #19 "Don't Call Us We'll Call You" by Sugarloaf, includes the lyric "You ain't bad, but we've heard it all before. Yeah, it sounds like John, Paul and George" followed by the guitar riff from "I Feel Fine."  Video:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4njPe2_rho

At #15 is ELO's "Can't Get It Out of My Head." Of course Jeff Lynne was part of the Traveling Wilburys with George.  ELO bassist Kelly Groucutt died 2/20/09 at 63 (heart attack).  You can see him here in 1974 as ELO covers the Beatles "Day Tripper" (give 'em a minute to get rockin'):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfesIhEboi8&feature=related

And, the #1 song that week, Average White Band's "Pick Up the Pieces" -- guitarist Hamish Stuart went on to be part of Paul's band during the 90's. AWB's biggest hit:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgKz_pCVaOc

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: February 21, 2009, 10:49:11 AM »
I'm sure all four Fabs were in the 40 at one time (I believe it was a question answered by Casey at one point) but It'll take a while to tell you specifics.

well, this didn't take too long:  Dec 14, 1974:

#10 Macca, "Junior's Farm"
#18 Ringo "Only You"
#32 George, "Dark Horse"
#40 John, "Whatever Gets You Thru..."

I'm sure it's not the only example.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: February 21, 2009, 01:33:44 PM »
Man, the "That's so gay" ad campaign has got to be the most unpersuasive thing ever.  Geesh.

Followed shortly by "Asterisk! Asterisk! Mark of the Fraud!"

OK, I have No. Fucking. Clue. what either of those references are.  ???

Two of the ads that air regularly during the Chico broadcast.  Would only make sense to those listening with me in real time.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: February 21, 2009, 02:24:04 PM »
Man, the "That's so gay" ad campaign has got to be the most unpersuasive thing ever.  Geesh.

Two of the ads that air regularly during the Chico broadcast.  Would only make sense to those listening with me in real time.
missed the Chico broadcast.  Love the company I usually find with that one (typically Gaz and Waybeack), but it's often too early and the fidelity is suck-y.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: February 21, 2009, 07:51:29 PM »

missed the Chico broadcast.  Love the company I usually find with that one (typically Gaz and Waybeack), but it's often too early and the fidelity is suck-y.

I've been attempting to listen to the Madison, WI version, which usually starts at 7 PDT, but their player is running waaay behind their air product (the "now playing" feature is listing the AT40 songs in sequence, but I'm hearing other stuff).

OK -- here's Casey, nearly 45 mins behind what's airing live.  I'd forgotten how much I liked "Snookeroo"; this was intended as a double-sided single, tho' "No No Song" got most of the airplay. "Snookeroo" was an Elton John compo, iirc.  And Casey idenitifes "Sally G" as a re-entry, but it was actually the B-side of the great "Junior's Farm". Macca and country do NOT mix.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: February 21, 2009, 08:17:27 PM »
another sentimental BOS vote to "My Eyes Adored You," originally to be titled "Brown Eyes in Georgia," IIRC.

Yes -- and written by Kenny "I Wike Dweamin'" Nolan, also in the 40 this week with co-writer credit on "Lady Marmalade", and he'd still be hitting the charts in the '90s with stuff like Atlantic Starr's "Masterpiece".

Here's MJ & his brothers with the great "I Am Love" -- he wants to sprinkle himself around me. Er... ewww!

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: February 21, 2009, 08:24:30 PM »
David Gates' "Never Let Her Go", his first solo hit, is decidedly Bread-like; Gladys & the Pips would chart in '75 with his "Part Time Love". Fun fact: he wrote "Popsicles, Icicles" for the Murmaids!

oo-wah-wah-oo-wah-wah-oo! BOS the heavenly "Sad Sweet Dreamer"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 08:28:26 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: February 21, 2009, 09:02:30 PM »
BOS2 Polly Brown (erstwhile lead singer of Pickettywitch) with the sadly forgotten "Up in a Puff of Smoke", her only solo hit.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: February 21, 2009, 09:20:57 PM »
BOS3 Carol Douglas' "Doctor's Orders", another gem from the Cook/Greenaway/Cook factory. This will always represent (for me) early-disco-at-its-best: catchy hook, clever Motown-meets-the-Brill-Bldg lyrics -- a good pop record that you can also dance to. Kudos to Casey for playing the long(ish) version.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: February 22, 2009, 08:08:48 AM »
Did you know that Casey70's is on the new 1550AM, KFRC, SF, Sundays 7-10am?  I just stumbled upon it.  But depending on when I wake up, I listen either Sat's 7-10AM on www.chicooldies.com or Sundays 8-11AM on www.957KJRfm.com Seattle.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: February 22, 2009, 09:51:36 AM »
This morning I'm listening to Casey's 80s: Feb. 23, 1980.  The sea change is palpable - this set is very white, very adult.  Two songs in the Top 10 I have no memory of hearing at the time: Andy Gibb's "Desire" (which somehow made it to #4 despite not having a decent hook or a strong vocal) and Kenny Rogers's "Coward of the County" (surprising, given that I heard plenty of other KR around the house; my father in particular loved "Lucille").

And now, Most Unnecessary of Set: Teri DeSario with KC, "Yes, I'm Ready."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: February 22, 2009, 10:07:47 AM »
Did you know that Casey70's is on the new 1550AM, KFRC, SF, Sundays 7-10am?  I just stumbled upon it. 

TANC: I accidentally discovered it this morning too!  I had emailed KFRC weeks ago to ask when/if they were playing it; never got an answer.  I happened to turn them on this morning because their "True Oldies Channel" format is doing a "Rock'n'Roll Remake Weekend", playing the orig and the cover of songs that were hits multiple times. And much to my chagrin, at 7:50 or so I worke up to... Disc-O-Texx from Casey.

Meant to point out last nite that this was the week in '75 that "#9 Dream" was actually #9.

And Gaz I can't believe you've lived 36 years without ever hearing "Coward of the County"!  A huge capturing-the-zeitgeist hit, it was interpreted as being about America and Iran, tho' it was probably written before the hostages were seized.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: February 22, 2009, 11:02:48 AM »
Did you know that Casey70's is on the new 1550AM, KFRC, SF, Sundays 7-10am?  I just stumbled upon it.  But depending on when I wake up, I listen either Sat's 7-10AM on www.chicooldies.com or Sundays 8-11AM on www.957KJRfm.com Seattle.

I just discovered yesterday that K-HITS (106.7) in Portland also runs it from 7 to 10 Sunday Mornings. Of course, today I didn't get up until 9:30 so that was a bust. But it's there.
http://khits1067.com/

Apparently Casey is doing well signing up affiliates among the oldies radio community.
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

« Reply #1018 on: February 22, 2009, 06:12:28 PM »

I thought you folks knew that. I remember reading Ben Fong-Torres' column one Sunday last month and he mentioned that Casey's show on KFRC-AM.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: February 22, 2009, 07:05:16 PM »

I thought you folks knew that. I remember reading Ben Fong-Torres' column one Sunday last month and he mentioned that Casey's show on KFRC-AM.

Ben didn't say when, however; they had been running it at noon, but when "True Oldies Channel" took over, it was moved, and the KFRC website gave no clue. Glad to have another option in the weekend, in any case.