Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1382048 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Casey Kasem American Top 40
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:49:15 AM »
List of online stations streaming "A.T. 40-The '70s"
http://tunein.com/radio/options/American-Top-40---The-70s-p117092/

Playlists of recent airings of "A.T. 40- 70's" replays:
http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html
AND AT http://www.whnn.com/showdj.asp?DJID=43335

List of online stations streaming "A.T. 40- The '80s"
http://tunein.com/radio/options/American-Top-40---The-80s-p154285/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:15:21 AM by Wayback »

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:53:18 AM »
Well, I'll be.  Thanks for the marvy detective work!  This is really, really cool.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 10:54:16 AM »
Well, I'll be.  Thanks for the marvy detective work!  This is really, really cool.

indeed, thanks, Wayback! Gaz and I discuss the show each week in the "Capital Gold/other internet radio" thread, as we listen to the KFRC version which airs at 6am on Saturdays (they repeat the last 2 hours at 10pm).  It's quite the trip down memory lane.

Needless to say, being the geek that I am, I own the Joel Whitburn books that show every weekly chart for the '60s, '70s and '80s.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

SFGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:14:32 PM »

indeed, thanks, Wayback! Gaz and I discuss the show each week in the "Capital Gold/other internet radio" thread, as we listen to the KFRC version which airs at 6am on Saturdays (they repeat the last 2 hours at 10pm).  It's quite the trip down memory lane.

Needless to say, being the geek that I am, I own the Joel Whitburn books that show every weekly chart for the '60s, '70s and '80s.

I own the 80's and 90 chart books. I just purchased the 70's. I will work on the 50's and 60's books. They're kind of expensive but it's nice to have to get a look at music chart history.

I don't care about Casey's 70's shows or any show from 1986-1988 (he left in mid 1988) but I do listen to his early 80's on the XM shows that Directv has on the audio music channels (805).

I would assume that the ones on the radio are different then the ones XM plays. The March 1st show on XM, they played the February 26, 1977 chart. How does the radio version typically chose which one it plays?? XM usually plays the chart from around that week they are playing the show (so March 1st is around Feb. 26th) unless they don't have a show around that date.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »
How does the radio version typically chose which one it plays?? XM usually plays the chart from around that week they are playing the show (so March 1st is around Feb. 26th) unless they don't have a show around that date.

Terrestrial likewise targets the same date/week, selecting a show seemingly randomly between 1971 and 1977.  Maybe I'll go back and look at the old threads to see if there's any sort of pattern.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

SFGuy

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »
Maybe somebody here could answer this if they remember. I used to listen to Casey's shows in the early 80's in SF on KCBS-FM. One Sunday morning, I turned on the radio and his show never came on. It turns out that KCBS changed formats from top 40 to rock, changing to KRQR. I never did find another Bay Area station that broadcast it. Does anybody know if Casey's shows continued out here?

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 03:41:56 AM »
Maybe somebody here could answer this if they remember. I used to listen to Casey's shows in the early 80's in SF on KCBS-FM. One Sunday morning, I turned on the radio and his show never came on. It turns out that KCBS changed formats from top 40 to rock, changing to KRQR. I never did find another Bay Area station that broadcast it. Does anybody know if Casey's shows continued out here?

i don't know about that. i moved to austin in '84 and listened there regularly.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
Here's the playlist from this weekend's airing of “Casey Kasem’s American Top 40- The 70's”-- this time from March 5, 1977:
www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119
You can listen via that website Sunday 8-11am Pacific (11am-2pm Eastern), in addition to airing Saturdays 6-9am on KFRC.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 06:54:51 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 12:27:12 PM »
Here's the songlist from this weekend's airing of “Casey Kasem’s American Top 40-The 70's”-- this time from March 5, 1977.  You can listen via this website on Sunday 8-11am Pacific (11am-2pm Eastern):

Thanks, bub! Quite a chart -- Babs at #1, Gaz, with ONJ's "Sam" in the mix -- and worth getting up at 6 just to hear Enchantment's beautiful "Gloria".

BTW, the '80s version (via a West Virginia station) is my new Sunday morning ritual.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 08:03:22 PM »
Here's the songlist from this weekend's airing of “Casey Kasem’s American Top 40-The 70's”-- this time from March 5, 1977.  You can listen via this website on Sunday 8-11am Pacific (11am-2pm Eastern):

Thanks, bub! Quite a chart -- Babs at #1, Gaz, with ONJ's "Sam" in the mix -- and worth getting up at 6 just to hear Enchantment's beautiful "Gloria".

Caught up with the first hour, thanks to a station in Wisconsin -- what a thrill to hear Jennifer Warnes' "Right Time of the Night" (written by Peter McCann, whose own version was on the B-side of his hit "Do You Wanna Make Love?") and Deniece Williams' "Free", as well as the aforementioned "Gloria" and "Sam" (they make a lovely couple). And speaking of unlikely couples, who'd'a thunk Glen Campbell and Allen Toussaint would be a winning combo on "Southern Nights"?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 10:33:48 AM »

Caught up with the first hour, thanks to a station in Wisconsin -- what a thrill to hear Jennifer Warnes' "Right Time of the Night" (written by Peter McCann, whose own version was on the B-side of his hit "Do You Wanna Make Love?") and Deniece Williams' "Free", as well as the aforementioned "Gloria" and "Sam" (they make a lovely couple). And speaking of unlikely couples, who'd'a thunk Glen Campbell and Allen Toussaint would be a winning combo on "Southern Nights"?

"Southern Nights" was a delight, yes, but I can't agree with you on "Right Time of the Night."  Warnes' bored delivery makes it one of my all-time least faves (several of which populate this countdown, alas).  But I tuned in for the final hour Sunday afternoon, looking forward to "Evergreen."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 10:43:19 AM »
"I like dweamin'."  Yeesh.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 12:12:43 PM »
"I like dweamin'."  Yeesh.

My college radio PD loooooved that song. And if nothing else, Mr Nolan had range and staying power -- he wrote Atlantic Starr's 1992 hit "Masterpiece".

I'm enjoying the '80s version today: March 8th 1986. And a better chart I can't've asked for. Highlights for me, all of which are either rarities or never-been-playeds in Morey '86 sets:

#10 "King for a Day", Thompson Twins
#12 "When the Going Gets Tough", Billy Ocean
#15 "Tarzan Boy", Baltimora (a bit of a shock to see this charted in '86, as I associate it with the summer of '85)
#22 "A Love Bizarre", Sheila E
#24 "Let's Go All the Way", Sly Fox
#25 "How to Be a Millionaire", ABC
#26 "Manic Monday", Bangles
#27 "Another Night", Aretha
#32 "Tender Love", Force MDs

SFGuy

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 10:51:35 PM »
I tend to listen via XM but this past weekend was from March 5, 1988 so I thought to myself, "forget it". I will catch next Sunday which is March 26, 1983. For those who have XM (or Directv) the 70's show is from March 10, 1979.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 06:54:21 AM »
I tend to listen via XM but this past weekend was from March 5, 1988 so I thought to myself, "forget it". I will catch next Sunday which is March 26, 1983. For those who have XM (or Directv) the 70's show is from March 10, 1979.
FYI y'all, here's list of stations airing Casey's original 80's shows (some offer streaming audio):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_80%27s
And list of stations airing his original 70's shows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stations_that_air_Casey_Kasem%27s_American_Top_40:_The_70%27s