Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385882 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #840 on: December 20, 2008, 08:37:10 AM »
BOS3 to "Walk Away From Love," a simply astonishing David Ruffin vocal effort.  When biographer David Ritz spoke at last year's EMP Pop Conference, he closed his talk by playing this song at top volume.  Wish more of us had taken the cue to get up and dance!
Agreed, good to hear it again! 
Where's mshray, he's gonna miss the David Geddes tune he mentioned.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: December 20, 2008, 08:50:58 AM »
wow, David Geddes and Paul Anka: a back to back Kodak Moment twin spin twofer.

don't recall that maudlin Geddes song, but when Casey mentioned his ptherr hit (Run Joey Run) i got the shivers. 

Kodak used that Paul Anka song for mktg, and when we moved from our house in 76, I remember getting teary-eyed as I walked around the empty house singing that song. 

Gawd, I was like 11 years old and, obviously, I watched too much TV.
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: December 20, 2008, 08:51:06 AM »
Paul Anka's "Times of Your Life" was our prom theme the following May (and used in a Kodak commercial then).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: December 20, 2008, 08:55:09 AM »
"All 12 positions of the Zodiac sign": Leon Haywood clearly knows Rudy Ray Moore's Zodiac album (I won't post, as NSFW).  And the Kama Sutra.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: December 20, 2008, 08:57:20 AM »
It's a good thing Casey had a story to tell about what a convoy is, because you can NOT transition from "I Wanta Do Something Freaky to You" into "Convoy."

BTW: "Convoy" probably is the first song I remember hearing.  Yikes.  I'd run rings around the dining room table (usually holding my cat Roscoe, to my mom's chagrin) singing this chorus.  I was 3.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: December 20, 2008, 09:00:18 AM »
OK, this is weird: I hit the 2-hour limit on the station and was prompted to reconnect.  Did so - and they've rewound me back to the Geddes track!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: December 20, 2008, 09:00:24 AM »
It's a good thing Casey had a story to tell about what a convoy is, because you can NOT transition from "I Wanta Do Something Freaky to You" into "Convoy."
BTW: "Convoy" probably is the first song I remember hearing.  Yikes.  I'd run rings around the dining room table (usually holding my cat Roscoe, to my mom's chagrin) singing this chorus.  I was 3.
"That's a big 10-4, good buddy" 
Oops, back to #18 again?? Somebody just miscued the show!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: December 20, 2008, 09:02:11 AM »
OK, this is weird: I hit the 2-hour limit on the station and was prompted to reconnect.  Did so - and they've rewound me back to the Geddes track!
No, your reconnect is not the problem.  I think mshray called 'em to replay the Geddes track! ;)  The board op must've miscued the CD to wrong segment!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: December 20, 2008, 09:07:31 AM »
No, your reconnect is not the problem.  I think mshray called 'em to replay the Geddes track! ;)  The board op must've miscued the CD to wrong segment!
Ha, that's funny.  Happy to hear Leon Haywood a second time!  (And the Jackie Wilson words - Casey seemed choked up at the end.)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: December 20, 2008, 09:11:09 AM »
Wonder if we'll hear the entire countdown, since this repeated segment throws off the timing??  We shall see ...

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: December 20, 2008, 09:13:34 AM »
As Casey stated, truckers using "CB's --- modern technology"  :D

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: December 20, 2008, 09:15:01 AM »
"CB's --- modern technology"  :D
So many lines, especially the "Illi-NOISE Nash'nl Guard" - but my favorite is "7 long-haired Friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus."

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: December 20, 2008, 09:16:23 AM »
"CB's --- modern technology"  :D
So many lines, especially the "Illi-NOISE Nash'nl Guard" - but my favorite is "7 long-haired Friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus."

And although the crowd singing along at the end is supposed to be rowdy truckers, they sound a whole lot more like Muppets.  Which of course aided my love of the song.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: December 20, 2008, 09:20:56 AM »
Oop, makin' up time from the cueing mistake by skipping S&G's "My Little Town" and O'Jays "I Love Music" to jump to #11, "Our Day Will Come" Frankie Valli.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: December 20, 2008, 09:25:00 AM »
Oop, makin' up time from the cueing mistake by skipping S&G's "My Little Town" and O'Jays "I Love Music" to jump to #11, "Our Day Will Come" Frankie Valli.

oh well, never was a fan of My Little Town anyway.
~CPL593H~