Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385806 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #825 on: December 19, 2008, 03:16:08 PM »
So who's listening when this weeekend?
I expect I'll be listening to the Chico broadcast.  Funny how Saturday's now the one day of the week when I wake up early.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: December 19, 2008, 03:17:02 PM »
I expect I'll be listening to the Chico broadcast.  Funny how Saturday's now the one day of the week when I wake up early.

Now that I have to walk Kenai every day at 6:30 it part of routine too!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: December 19, 2008, 05:16:07 PM »

Now that I have to walk Kenai every day at 6:30 it part of routine too!

the 10@10 marathon and AT40 have been great early rising motivators for me in recent weeks...
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: December 20, 2008, 07:14:30 AM »
Early WOS: the Wing & a Prayer Fife & Drum Corps, perhaps the nadir of old-time-Hollywood discofication with "Baby Face" (it's several notches below "Disco Lucy," at any rate).
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: December 20, 2008, 07:22:34 AM »
Average White Band's "Schoolboy Crush" was NTM.  Don't really need to hear it again - it was earthy and windy, but lacked fire.

And now "Venus and Mars/Rock Show" plummets from its #12 peak all the way to #36.  I'm sure Paul cried to Mme. Kitty.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: December 20, 2008, 07:30:50 AM »
BOS1 to "Winners & Losers," which I had stuck in my head for a large portion of my SF vacation.  Really love the piano work on this, which I wish I'd mentioned when I blogged about it months ago.  Casey IDs as Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds, though Reynolds was by this point Denison (and indeed, that's how my iTunes MP3 credits it).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: December 20, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »
Early WOS: the Wing & a Prayer Fife & Drum Corps, perhaps the nadir of old-time-Hollywood discofication with "Baby Face" (it's several notches below "Disco Lucy," at any rate).

I may have to eat my words: Al Martino's take on "Volare," NTM, is even worse discofication of a standard.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: December 20, 2008, 07:51:26 AM »
BOS2: Al Green gettin' his dance on in "Full of Fire."  Also NTM!

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: December 20, 2008, 08:04:40 AM »
I'm here, had a late night, threw off waking up at 7am!  "Here's newcomer Donna Summer, aaaaaaaaaaa luv to luv yaaaaaaa baybay"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: December 20, 2008, 08:10:33 AM »
KISS before they made enough money to master their records.  "Rock & Roll All Nite" is a great song, but man, what a terrible recording.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: December 20, 2008, 08:14:10 AM »
Here comes the KISS Army, "Rock and Roll All Nite and Par-tay every day!"  This raw recording charged up those cold nights of winter 75-76!  Appropriately followed up by some Hot Chocolate, "You Sexy Thang"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: December 20, 2008, 08:19:07 AM »
Yet another NTM - I'm glad I got up for this one! - Gladys Knight & the Pips' "Part-Time Love."  Few others did both ballads and dance numbers so equally well.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: December 20, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
Hey, Mike Love talks about his contributions to "I Get Around." Fascinating! ;)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: December 20, 2008, 08:29:36 AM »
BOS3 to "Walk Away From Love," a simply astonishing David Ruffin vocal effort.  When biographer David Ritz spoke at last year's EMP Pop Conference, he closed his talk by playing this song at top volume.  Wish more of us had taken the cue to get up and dance!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: December 20, 2008, 08:32:41 AM »
Like a Rhinestone Remake, Glen Campbell's a country boy who got his feet in L.A.