Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385604 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #750 on: November 16, 2008, 11:05:59 AM »
NTM and promptly forgotten: James Taylor, "Long Ago and Far Away."  Just the kind of blandness one might write in the family compound while Daddy's off in the Andes and the servants have baked nice pies for everyone.   :-\

OK, we know you hates you some JT, but (a) I thought that story about his dad going to the South Pole with Admiral Byrd was pretty amazing, and (b) it'sa lovely tune, especially Joni's backing vox. (I'd forgotten James is a Carolina boy, I so associate him with Martha's Vineyard.)

Other observations:

All hail Dennis Coffey's "Scorpio"!

Note that 8th Day's "You Gotta Crawl" and the 5MEB's "Absolutely Right" -- both mid-charting follow-ups to big hits -- are about guys admitting they were wrong.

I sure wish I could hear Lampoon's "Deteriorata" after "Desiderata". Dave once did a megamix that was brilliant; one of the best things I've ever heard in 16 years of listening to 10@10.

I'll bet the 5-D wish they coulda gotten their hands on "I've Found Someone of my Own" before Free Movement did. Their cover of "Never My Love", at its peak of #12 is nice, but seems secondhand in comparison. But interesting that both Association covers on the chart (the other being David Cassidy's "Cherish") are on the same label -- Bell, which would become Arista in a couple of years.

I had fond memories of "Yo-Yo", but Donny and his brothers are screaming like Linda Ronstadt on a bender!

And we close with Cher in her 2nd week at #1. What a weekly TV show can do for ya.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: November 16, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
NTM and promptly forgotten: James Taylor, "Long Ago and Far Away."  Just the kind of blandness one might write in the family compound while Daddy's off in the Andes and the servants have baked nice pies for everyone.   :-\

OK, we know you hates you some JT, but (a) I thought that story about his dad going to the South Pole with Admiral Byrd was pretty amazing

Theoretically I might be impressed, but I tend not to be enamored of those who come from money, and so when someone from JT's family sends his Lear jet up to Nova Scotia, I'm less than impressed.  In my book, families of money need to earn respect more than those who don't.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: November 21, 2008, 09:58:55 AM »
This site has this weekend's Casey70's as "Christmas At the Movies" ??
http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html

The WHNN site sez he's "on vacation" til Dec 28:
http://www.whnn.com/showdj.asp?DJID=43335

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: November 21, 2008, 10:00:22 AM »
This site has this weekend's Casey70's as "Christmas At the Movies" ??
http://www.wbbgfm.com/pages/pp_caseykasem.html

The WHNN site sez he's "on vacation" til Dec 28:
http://www.whnn.com/showdj.asp?DJID=43335

Hrm... I suspect both these staions have gone all-Xmas-music from now until Dec 25th. So I'll see what the Wisconsin and Idaho stations (and our own KYCY 1510AM) do this weekend.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 10:31:44 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: November 21, 2008, 06:41:33 PM »
This weekend its Nov 17, 1973; A Seattle station airs it Sundays 8-11am. Playlist:
http://www.957kjrfm.com/pages/events.html?feed=111843&article=4192995

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: November 22, 2008, 07:05:16 AM »
Good morning Chico!  I was actually up impossibly early (by my standards) this morning, so I caught #13-1 on a Philly station that airs the countdown 6-9am ET.  (#[strike]13[/strike]12 was Marvin Gaye and Diana Ross's "You're a Special Part of Me," which is shockingly absent from the Marvin Gaye box set I own.)  Now I've got the Chico station on for the first two hours.  Barry White kicks things off nicely with the indulgently titled "Never NEVER Gonna Give You Up."

NTM: Four Tops at #38 with "Sweet Understanding Love."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 09:02:47 AM by Gazoo »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: November 22, 2008, 07:53:31 AM »
Big ol' Ruby Red Dress!  One can wildly speculate as to what the song's really about (I think she had an abortion).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: November 22, 2008, 08:01:17 AM »
Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Ooh Baby" is NTM.  I've now heard all 5 of his Top 40 hits, and he bats a healthy .800 in my book.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: November 22, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »
BOS to Charlie Rich's "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World," which would go on to reach #1 on my 1st birthday.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: November 22, 2008, 08:53:28 AM »
Casey calls out "Why Me"'s approach of the weeks-on-the-chart record, held at the time by Johnny Mathis with 40 weeks for "Wonderful, Wonderful."  Kris Kristofferson would fall one week short of the mark, and the record would last until Paul Davis's "I Go Crazy."  (For five frink points, what song broke his record?)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: November 22, 2008, 08:56:41 AM »
Big ol' Ruby Red Dress!  One can wildly speculate as to what the song's really about (I think she had an abortion).

I think you're right on about that.  Or maybe she just is preggers..?  This verse has some clues:

Some folks say some farm boy
Oh, from Tennessee
Taught it all to ruby
Then just let her be
Her daddy tried to hide it
Tried to keep things cool

Such a rollicking tune, too.
~CPL593H~

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: November 22, 2008, 09:03:18 AM »
BOS2 to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," for which Casey confers a more innocent interpretation that Mike does.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: November 22, 2008, 09:08:26 AM »
Casey recounts the woes of klutzy Bobby Goldsboro, who cut his big toe when he walked barefoot over some breakfast cereal that had spilled -- and then hardened overnight -- into the carpet.

What the hell is he eating?

~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: November 22, 2008, 09:20:14 AM »
BOS2 to "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," for which Casey confers a more innocent interpretation that Mike does.
I'm looking around the board for Mike's interpretation, but didn't find anything except a mention that the song is very gay. 

I was really into EJ back in the 70s (who wasn't?  he was huge.), but I didn't know from gay back then -- or bi as EJ first publicly claimed, haha -- but now some songs seem very obvious and clear: Someone Saved My Life Tonight is one of the clearest and best examples -- how "Long John" Baldry brought EJ to his senses before he got trapped in a sham marriage.
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: November 22, 2008, 09:32:32 AM »
dangit, my online player was buffering the Chico show and I was only up to Charlie Rich (#20) when it kicked me off b/c I maxed out my streaming time.  I hit OK and it picked up again w the Carpenters (#7). I'm really curious about these, which I can't recall:

#18 “CHEAPER TO KEEP HER” – Johnnie Taylor
#17 “WHY ME” – Kris Kristofferson
#12 “YOU’RE A SPECIAL PART OF ME” – Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye
#11 “ALL I KNOW” – Garfunkel

But I got to hear Arts & Crafts (aka – Seals & Crofts)  #21 “WE MAY NEVER PASS THIS WAY (AGAIN),” which I think accurately describes this song's AT40 charting journey.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 10:42:31 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~