Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385842 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #720 on: November 08, 2008, 06:24:27 PM »
Sorry, but this Elvis karaoke of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is justly forgotten.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 08, 2008, 06:28:13 PM »
Wow, Glen Campbell's bombast on "It's Only Make Believe" and Stevie Wonder's stormy "Heaven Help Us All" are a powerful one-two punch.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 08, 2008, 07:23:42 PM »
'Morning gentlemen, I tuned in at #36, "God, Love & Rock & Roll," a song I don't remember.
This was the first time I heard it.  Wow.  Words fail.  (I've just rewinded and am now hearing #40-30 after just hearing the 20s and 10s.)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: November 09, 2008, 10:05:32 AM »
Casey's '80s take us to Nov. 8, 1982, with La Ronstadt (again, yelling) her way through "Get Closer."  Earlier, Dionne Warwick had debuted with "Heartbreaker," which would become her last Top 10 solo.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 09, 2008, 11:19:01 AM »
Sorry, but this Elvis karaoke of "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" is justly forgotten.

Chart trivia: this was not the only Dusty Springfield cover on the Hot 100 that week: at #62 was Gary Puckett (!) doing "I Just Don't Know What to Do With Myself" (!!) produced by Richard Perry (!!!).

Stevie's "Heaven Help us All" is one of my very favorite songs of his... the line

Heaven help the boy who won't reach 21
Heaven help the man who gave that boy a gun

still gives me chills. Dunno if there are covers of that one but I'd love to hear Patti LaBelle chew on it.

And Teegarden & Van Winkle -- it's been decades since I'd heard that. The melody is a complete rip-off of "Amen", the gospel tune from Lillies of the Field that was a hit for the Impressions.

Other highlights for me: Ray Price's now-standard "For the Good Times", she-took-2-Tylenol-and-now-she's Freda Payne's "Deeper & Deeper", the aforementioned Candi Staton, and Dawn's glorious "Candida", which it occurs to me was a record ahead of its time by 2 or 3 years -- nobody was really doing late-50s/early '60s nostalgia yet in 1970; in '72 Grease would open Off-B'way and the floodgates would open.

Oh, and I loved hearing Casey being shocked! SHOCKED, I tells ya! that wholesome Shirley Jones won an Oscar for playing a hooker. LOL!  A fabulous chart all around.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 09, 2008, 11:21:19 AM »
Casey's '80s take us to Nov. 8, 1982, with La Ronstadt (again, yelling) her way through "Get Closer."  Earlier, Dionne Warwick had debuted with "Heartbreaker," which would become her last Top 10 solo.

BOS: "Pressure," "Stepping Out"
VHM: "What's Forever For?" (in its 5th week at #19!), "Nobody"
WOS: Steel Breeze, "You Don't Want Me Anymore"
OMGWTFLOL: Survivor, "American Beat" (the hot cheese, it burns)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 10, 2008, 12:35:01 PM »
Hey kids -- per a posting on the Radio-info.com SF message board, Classic Casey '70s is now being run on Sundays from noon-to-3 on KYCY 1550AM -- not clear if this is forever or just until the contract runs out (KYCY and KFRC have the same owners). but for now it's there. And they do stream, for you out-of-towners.

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: November 13, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »
Hey kids -- per a posting on the Radio-info.com SF message board, Classic Casey '70s is now being run on Sundays from noon-to-3 on KYCY 1550AM -- not clear if this is forever or just until the contract runs out (KYCY and KFRC have the same owners). but for now it's there. And they do stream, for you out-of-towners.
Nice to have a local airing, but I don't receive KYCY clearly, do you?

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 13, 2008, 08:36:04 PM »
This weekend (11/15-16) Casey70's visits Nov 13, 1971.  Playlist:
http://www.whnn.com/goout.asp?u=http://images.radcity.net/5874/3234839.pdf

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 13, 2008, 08:50:53 PM »

Great stuff! Dawn's forgotten "What Are You Doing Sunday?", Coven's "One Tin Soldier" in its first chart go-round, 8th Day's "other" hit (and the 5 Man Electrical Band's too), The 5-D's version of "Never My Love", Denise LaSalle, Lighthouse, Free Movement, and -- say hallelujah! -- "The Desiderata"!  Can't wait!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: November 13, 2008, 09:33:34 PM »

This is reassuring: it's rather likely that we'll get a set close to Dec. 15, 1972.  I'm actually excited about this.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: November 15, 2008, 07:17:19 AM »
Love the line in "Respect Yourself" where Mavis tells the white-sheeter he's got his head up his ass.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: November 15, 2008, 07:22:12 AM »
NTM and promptly forgotten: James Taylor, "Long Ago and Far Away."  Just the kind of blandness one might write in the family compound while Daddy's off in the Andes and the servants have baked nice pies for everyone.   :-\

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: November 15, 2008, 07:29:37 AM »
Oh, honny, honny!  Sonny and Cher return to the charts with a bang, in at #33 with "All I Ever Need Is You."

(I once pissed off a drag queen by performing this song at a gay bar's karaoke night - had no idea the gal had planned her own Cher-manship.)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:49 AM »
"It's a new day, baby!"  BOS to Sweet Lou Rawls and the Bobby Hebb-penned "Natural Man."  I'll be singing this at City Hall this afternoon as I decry Prop. 8 and other similar measures.