Author Topic: Casey Kasem American Top 40  (Read 1385984 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Kasem American Top 40
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2008, 11:03:44 AM »
This weekend's (4/26-27) non-XM "AT40-The 70's" will be from April 9, 1977. The playlist: www.mynorthwest.com/?sid=22371&nid=119

OMFG! Disco Central! Haven't heard Silvetti's "Spring Rain" since '77, certainly.
That one was new to me.  And this is only the second time I've ever heard Ambrosia's take on "Magical Mystery Tour."

Their (then) label, 20th Century, gave that a big push, part of the ill-fated All This and WWII film.  But it still barely dented the Top 40 and of course the film was barely released after a big NYC premiere.  I cannot wait to hear this countdown tonite.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:02 PM »
"Hello, baby ... Are you married?"
"Sometimes ..."

Wow, I've never even heard OF Facts of Life (the R&B act) before!

I'd forgotten that one, but I recognized the song: it's a cover of a #1 country hit (Bill Anderson & Mary Lou Turner) from '76. And produced by Millie Jackson, no stranger to country covers her own damn self -- one of her biggest R&B hits was Merle Haggard's "If You're Not Back in Love By Monday".

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2008, 07:38:01 PM »
This has been quite mind-blowing so far; April '77 is the height of my college radio activity, I did a Top 40 show one afternoon a week and played many of these tunes. Hot's great "Angel in my Arms" is another I-can't-believe-it's-not-a-Morey-staple slice of pop, Andrea True's *other* hit, "NY NY You Got Me Dancing" is a total flashback, and hooray for Kiss' "Calling Dr Love".

And here comes Marilyn McCoo (and Billy Davis too) with their most Marvin-n-Tammi-like duet: "Your Love", which I haven't heard in ages, and which surely deserved to get higher than a #15 peak.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »
Casey just read a letter from a Gary Schroeder of Joplin, MO: a relative of Mark's?

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2008, 08:52:15 PM »
OMFG, this Tom Jones hit may be the flashback-of-the-week. A #1 country single, and a major comeback for him at the time (and Englebert had a comeback hit right around then too). But Best Cheeze of Countdown goes to "Disco Lucy".

I'm not sure why Gaz calls Jennifer Warnes' vocal (on "Right Time of the Night") "lazy" -- she's doing the Best. Ronstadt. Impersonation. EVAH! And William Bell's tryin' to love two -- good luck with that.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
Chart note: we just missed hearing Shalimar's "Uptown Festival" medley, Whinyface's "Hello Stranger", and Andrew Gold's "Lonely Boy". But all will probably still be around when we get our next '77 countdown in 5 or 6 weeks.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2008, 10:00:31 PM »
I'm not sure why Gaz calls Jennifer Warnes' vocal (on "Right Time of the Night") "lazy"

She's doing the anti-money note at every turn!  When given the choice, she invariably takes it down a few notes.  And that sucks.  It's like she already HAD the sex and is drifting off!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2008, 10:07:59 PM »
This has been quite mind-blowing so far; April '77 is the height of my college radio activity, I did a Top 40 show one afternoon a week and played many of these tunes. Hot's great "Angel in my Arms" is another I-can't-believe-it's-not-a-Morey-staple slice of pop, Andrea True's *other* hit, "NY NY You Got Me Dancing" is a total flashback, and hooray for Kiss' "Calling Dr Love".

And here comes Marilyn McCoo (and Billy Davis too) with their most Marvin-n-Tammi-like duet: "Your Love", which I haven't heard in ages, and which surely deserved to get higher than a #15 peak.

Agreed on the Hot track; some great harmonies there.  But - and I say this as a Kiss fan - didn't Kiss have some of the most poorly produced records ever?  CDL was a treat to hear, but it (and most of their other pre-'78 singles) sounds recorded in a cardboard box.

Meanwhile, that Deneice Williams song, "Free," is a nice suggestion of the '90s neo-soul boom.  Easy to hear Des'ree singing that.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2008, 10:27:09 PM »

Agreed on the Hot track; some great harmonies there.  But - and I say this as a Kiss fan - didn't Kiss have some of the most poorly produced records ever?  CDL was a treat to hear, but it (and most of their other pre-'78 singles) sounds recorded in a cardboard box.

Meanwhile, that Deneice Williams song, "Free," is a nice suggestion of the '90s neo-soul boom.  Easy to hear Des'ree singing that.

I guess the assumption was, 13-year-old boys don't care about pristine production.  The Deneice Williams escaped my notice back then, but became a "Quiet Storm" staple throughout the '90s.

If you're still awake, JJ on KPOO is doing amazing things as always -- just played the Dixie Hummingbirds' Simon-less version of "Loves Me Like Rock". And here's Esther Phillips' "Home Is Where the Hatred Is"!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 10:29:11 PM by RGMike »

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »
I'm not sure why Gaz calls Jennifer Warnes' vocal (on "Right Time of the Night") "lazy"

She's doing the anti-money note at every turn!  When given the choice, she invariably takes it down a few notes.  And that sucks.  It's like she already HAD the sex and is drifting off!

LOL! Blame Peter McCann (who wrote it), her version is quite similar to his, actuallly.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 26, 2008, 10:47:49 PM »
OMG, an obscure J-5 LP track, "Darling Dear", followed by MJ-soundalikes Chee-Chee and Peppy, "I Know I'm In Love" -- why was this not on the Buddah box? it reached #12 R&B in '71.

And here's Lyn Collins, "Mama Feel Good" -- oh yeah, Sharon & the Dap-Kings listened to a few of Lyn's sides, ah betcha.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2008, 09:30:20 AM »
OMG, an obscure J-5 LP track, "Darling Dear", followed by MJ-soundalikes Chee-Chee and Peppy, "I Know I'm In Love" -- why was this not on the Buddah box? it reached #12 R&B in '71.

And here's Lyn Collins, "Mama Feel Good" -- oh yeah, Sharon & the Dap-Kings listened to a few of Lyn's sides, ah betcha.

The Buddah liner notes mention that they had trouble getting some clearances, hence no early Charlie Daniels Band and nothing from that guy who did the Nixon impersonations.  And SJ&tDK most definitely studied Lyn Collins's oeuvre closely.  (I'm not quite as fond of their first two albums as I am of 100 Days, 100 Nights, though.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2008, 09:36:14 AM »
Sexily right, in the morningtime now: Casey's 80s take us to this week in 1987, where Simply Red is at 35 with "The Right Thing."  Most fun that graden gnome ever had on disc.  And now, at 34, first time I've heard it since it was a hit: Chicago, "If She Would Have Been Faithful ..."

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
1987 may be the most dreaded year on the Big Wheel, but this Klassic Kasem chart from April '87 is a treat. Highlights for me:

Simply Red, "The Right Thing"
Atlantic Starr, "Always"
Kim Wilde, "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
Breakfast Club, "Right on Track"
Poison, "Talk Dirty to Me"
Chris DeBurgh, "Lady in Red"
Expose, "Come Go With Me"
Peter Wolf, "Come As You Are"
Bangles, "Walking Down Your Street"
Prince, "Sign o' the Times"

and at #1... Ree-Ree & George! (Of course, the dreaded Crowded House are at #2.)  And I'd forgotten that World Party's "Ship of Fools" actually cracked the Top 30.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »
I'd forgotten all about Donna Allen's "Serious."  Very much the Mpls robo-funk sound.