Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 404193 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: The Concert Thread
« Reply #1470 on: November 18, 2011, 11:13:15 PM »
Through a series of unfortunate circumstances, (none serious), I am afraid I'll have to sit Stills out. Looking forward to Noah And The Whale on Monday, though.

Goddammit -- do we ALL have to change our names again?

Yeah, man...what gives?  I liked Swellegant!  Oh yeah, hey T-Cat...how ya doin'?    ;)

Hee hee!  When lightnin' strikes, it strikes all over!
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: November 18, 2011, 11:29:53 PM »
Through a series of unfortunate circumstances, (none serious), I am afraid I'll have to sit Stills out. Looking forward to Noah And The Whale on Monday, though.

Goddammit -- do we ALL have to change our names again?

Yeah, man...what gives?  I liked Swellegant!  Oh yeah, hey T-Cat...how ya doin'?    ;)

Hee hee!  When lightnin' strikes, it strikes all over!

aw, yeah...dat's right.... 8)
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: November 19, 2011, 06:19:35 AM »
I guess it belongs on the "Somethin' About My Life" thread, but the reasons I changed my name were:

1. "Swellegant" was getting kind of old, and would remind me how much I miss "Mad Men".
2. I decided to go after a Tier 2 right-winger, specifically Georgia's 10th District Representative Paul Broun on FB. During one argument I was having with his brain-dead supporters, one told me to "Shut Up, Intellectual Elitist". I realized that would be a great screename, said so, to which the reply "Fuck You" was added.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: November 19, 2011, 08:37:07 AM »
I guess it belongs on the "Somethin' About My Life" thread, but the reasons I changed my name were:

1. "Swellegant" was getting kind of old, and would remind me how much I miss "Mad Men".
2. I decided to go after a Tier 2 right-winger, specifically Georgia's 10th District Representative Paul Broun on FB. During one argument I was having with his brain-dead supporters, one told me to "Shut Up, Intellectual Elitist". I realized that would be a great screename, said so, to which the reply "Fuck You" was added.

to quote Linus Van Pelt:  Those are good reasons.   

My reason is because everything thinks "Tinka Cat" is female.  Who knew I would stick around here so long?  :) If I had, I would have chosen "StarMasterFighterGuy" or something.
~CPL593H~

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: November 19, 2011, 09:55:35 AM »

My reason is because everything thinks "Tinka Cat" is female.  Who knew I would stick around here so long?  :) If I had, I would have chosen "StarMasterFighterGuy" or something.

I thought it was cute!  But, yeah, I saw you cringe when I said it out loud.   :P

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1475 on: November 19, 2011, 11:24:04 AM »

Just another example of my cluelessness; I never thought anything of tinka.  It was just a series of letters and a sound.  Tinka Cat was a person.  Good on you for sticking around!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: November 20, 2011, 05:54:59 PM »
Went to the Noel Gallagher show last night at the Orpheum.  Good perfomance - though he was not happy with the audience shouting for Oasis songs the whole time (when he played "Don't Look Back In Anger" for the encore he said, "I'd better get a fucking standing ovation after this one").  It was also an odd place for a rock concert. He probably lost a bit of money on it since it didn't sell out and had to pay union guys to work that venue.  He can afford it, though.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: November 21, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »
Went to the Noel Gallagher show last night at the Orpheum.  Good perfomance - though he was not happy with the audience shouting for Oasis songs the whole time (when he played "Don't Look Back In Anger" for the encore he said, "I'd better get a fucking standing ovation after this one").  It was also an odd place for a rock concert. He probably lost a bit of money on it since it didn't sell out and had to pay union guys to work that venue.  He can afford it, though.

Yeah, the Orpheum is not normally a rock venue but they have done shows there occasionally. I remember Tom Waits playing a couple of shows there a number of years back, and I think Jerry Garcia may have as well--Geoff, confirmation? I'm sure there are others; can't recall them at the moment.

But unless he put the show on himself, more likely whoever was the promoter (APE would be my guess) is the one who took the bath on it.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: November 21, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
This Noah & The Whale audience looks like a collection of kids who were ejected from a Creed show for excessive sarcasm.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1479 on: November 21, 2011, 09:57:48 PM »

Yeah, the Orpheum is not normally a rock venue but they have done shows there occasionally. I remember Tom Waits playing a couple of shows there a number of years back, and I think Jerry Garcia may have as well--Geoff, confirmation? I'm sure there are others; can't recall them at the moment.

But unless he put the show on himself, more likely whoever was the promoter (APE would be my guess) is the one who took the bath on it.
I've seen the Grateful Dead as well as the Garcia Band there.  The first shows after the Dead's long hiatus were there in '76.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: November 22, 2011, 09:23:48 PM »
up for grabs, free:

I have two tix to BB King for tomorrow night, Wednesday Nov 23, at the Paramount Theater in Oakland. 

I won these from KFOG's Connected feature, and although I told Dred Scott I couldn't use them, they sent them to me anyway.  Anyone want them?  msg me.
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: November 22, 2011, 09:27:37 PM »
This Noah & The Whale audience looks like a collection of kids who were ejected from a Creed show for excessive sarcasm.

But by and large it was very enjoyable. Apparently they have a pair of Top 20 hits in the U.K. I could see them having a minor hit in five years or so, at which point I can say I saw them before they sold out. Probably not more than 700 in attendance, of which 10% were devotees. We sat in the upper right balcony, right above the band. Good times, and the root beer floats weren't too shabby either. Was very impressed with the Great American Music Hall.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: November 22, 2011, 09:37:54 PM »
up for grabs, free:

I have two tix to BB King for tomorrow night, Wednesday Nov 23, at the Paramount Theater in Oakland. 

I won these from KFOG's Connected feature, and although I told Dred Scott I couldn't use them, they sent them to me anyway.  Anyone want them?  msg me.

The Thrill Is Gone -- and so are the tix!

;)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: November 22, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »

But by and large it was very enjoyable. Apparently they have a pair of Top 20 hits in the U.K. I could see them having a minor hit in five years or so, at which point I can say I saw them before they sold out. Probably not more than 700 in attendance, of which 10% were devotees. We sat in the upper right balcony, right above the band. Good times, and the root beer floats weren't too shabby either. Was very impressed with the Great American Music Hall.

Wait... the GAMH holds 700 people?  Always seemed much smaller than that to me.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: November 22, 2011, 11:05:11 PM »

Wait... the GAMH holds 700 people?  Always seemed much smaller than that to me.

That's 'cause it is. I think the max legal capacity at the Music Hall is around 500 or so. Which is less than 700, so InSwellectual wasn't wrong, strictly speaking.
Let's get right to it.