Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443429 times)

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #480 on: August 28, 2007, 10:21:46 PM »
Lineup for the Hardly Barely Bluegrass thing in the park has been announced. Not as strong as last year's extravaganza, but still some acts worth catching and the price is right.  No Elvis Costello, but T-Bone Burnett is back, and taking EC's spot for the Friday afternoon gig is Jeff Tweedy from Wilco--so the indie gang should be out in force. Otherwise it's a lot of the usual suspects--Steve Earle, Emmylou Harris, Gillian Welch, Del McCoury. Also Dave Alvin, Los Lobos, John Doe, and many more. Go here for the full lineups:

http://www.strictlybluegrass.com/
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #481 on: August 30, 2007, 08:47:21 AM »
Sunday's "40th Anniv of the Summer of Love" concert in GG Park:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/08/30/DDPNRRIUS.DTL
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #482 on: August 30, 2007, 09:31:06 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Saw the running order in the Chron this am--they're allowing 20 minutes per act, including set changes. This is a show that will be behind schedule from about the third act onward.
Let's get right to it.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2007, 09:14:44 PM »
This year's Bridge School lineup is announced:

21st Annual Bridge School Benefit with Neil Young, Metallica, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddie Vedder with Flea and Jack Irons, Tom Waits with Kronos Quartet, John Mayer, Tegan and Sara, Regina Spektor.

Tix on sale this Sunday.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #484 on: September 04, 2007, 09:55:14 PM »
Quote from: "urth"

Saw the running order in the Chron this am--they're allowing 20 minutes per act, including set changes. This is a show that will be behind schedule from about the third act onward.

So did anyone here go on Sunday? Chron says 50,000 showed up.  Geoff?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Sunday
« Reply #485 on: September 04, 2007, 10:05:07 PM »

I had planned to go, but went to Commander Cody the night before at the Sweetwater.  Watched a lot of the concert on the internet while grading papers.  Barry Melton was awesome!  Pretty good for the Public Defender of Yolo County!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Sunday
« Reply #486 on: September 05, 2007, 12:13:55 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I had planned to go, but went to Commander Cody the night before at the Sweetwater.  Watched a lot of the concert on the internet while grading papers.  Barry Melton was awesome!  Pretty good for the Public Defender of Yolo County!

Please post any reviews anyone should come across.

Semi-relatedly, I'm thinking about going to see the Jefferson Starship this Sunday night at BB King's.  Because they mean as much to me as they do, I fear diminishing returns setting in, especially as Paul turns more the curmudgeon with each passing year.  It also makes me very self-conscious when I'm the only person in my generation taking in the show and really taking it in.  But still -- when I saw them two Augusts ago it was a genuinely mesmerizing experience.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #487 on: September 05, 2007, 08:45:04 AM »
Just got sent this press release, in case any of you are interested:

September 5, 2007
For Immediate Release

MICHAEL FRANTI HOSTS
2007's POWER TO THE PEACEFUL FESTIVAL

9th Annual Free Music and Arts Fest
Set For September 8th in Golden Gate Park

On Saturday, September 8th, renowned and outspoken musician and filmmaker Michael Franti and his group Spearhead – along with Guerrilla Management – present the 9th Annual “911 Power to the Peaceful Festival” at Speedway Meadow in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park. The free music and arts festival is dedicated to social justice, non violence, coexistence and environmental sustainability and aimed to educate, enrage, enlighten and inspire. It drew over 60,000 attendees in 2006.

Artists confirmed to appear alongside Anti- recording artists and headliners Michael Franti and Spearhead at the event include Indigo Girls, Lifesavas, and Hot Buttered Rum. The event will be hosted by Hard Knock Radio and broadcasted live on Pacifica station KPFA. Special guests and speakers will include journalist, author and Democracy Now! founder Amy Goodman, MOVE Member Mario Africa, and others.

In addition to the main stage of International Musical Artists and award-winning speakers, the PTTP Festival will also feature morning yoga, an open-air art gallery, a healing arts tent, vendors and food booths, an eco village, a bicycle coalition and social, environmental & political organizations tabling and forums. This year’s DJ Tent will be headlined by DJ Spooky that Subliminal Kid and Bassnectar.

A family-friendly kid’s zone will boast arts and crafts with an amazing peace flag-making workshop with Daily Acts, live theater with the Big Tadoo Puppet Crew, games, story-telling, face-painting, organic “snack time,” and an exhibit from the Museum of Children’s Art and a mid-afternoon Kid's Parade. A favorite in the kid’s zone is the sing-a-long with Michael Franti, where the festival founder visits and sings with the youth. An exciting addition to this year’s festival will focus on Franti’s new children’s book, What I Be.

****TO MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA – Please join us at 12:30 PM on Saturday, September 8th for a backstage press conference. Please contact Carrie Lombardi at Madison House Publicity to attend. 303.413.8308 / carrie@madisonhousepublicity.com****

9th Annual Power to the Peaceful Music and Arts Festival
Saturday, September 8th
Speedway Meadow, Golden Gate Park
Admission is FREE

9:00 AM PTTP COMMUNITY YOGA PRACTICE
      11:00 AM HOT BUTTERED RUM
      12:25 PM LIFESAVAS
      1:40 PM INDIGO GIRLS
      3:30 PM MICHAEL FRANTI & SPEARHEAD

Power to the Peaceful After Party
Saturday, September 8th / 9 PM
Michael Franti & Spearhead PTTP All Star Jam Session
Mezzanine (444 Jessie Street @ Mint)
w/ special guests Heavyweight Dub Champion
plus live DJ sets by Hoola, the Shamanic Cheerleaders
Tickets are $30.00 and available now at www.powertothepeaceful.org.

Sunday Yoga Jam at Speedway Meadow
Sunday, September 9th / 11 am SUNDAY YOGA JAM
w/ a special performance by Michael Franti
Speedway Meadow, Golden Gate Park
Individual Classes: $45.00 / Three Class Card: $110.00
Tickets available now at www.powertothepeaceful.org.
      11:00 AM doors and registration
       Yoga Classes at 11:30 am /1:15 PM / and 3:45 PM

Complete information for the festival and all related events can be found at www.powertothepeaceful.org.

Since 1998, the free, outdoor “911 Power to the Peaceful Festival” has been a fun, educational, hip and diverse annual experience. The first event was held in a neighborhood park and drew 6,000 people. In recent years, it has grown to draw over 60,000 people to the spacious Speedway Meadow in Golden Gate Park. Past artists and speakers have included The String Cheese Incident, John Butler Trio, KRS-One, Digital Underground, Woody Harrelson, Angela Davis, Dennis Kucinich, Ram Das, Blackalicious, Alice Walker, Talib Kweli, The Coup, Saul Williams, Keller Williams, Lyrics Born and many others.

In a year that is shaping up to be his most active year yet in support of the peace movement, Michael Franti visited and performed for injured soldiers at Washington’s Walter Reed Army Medical Center this past April, before participating in a fundraiser for Iraq Veterans Against the War. In May 2007, Franti performed an extremely rare San Quentin Prison concert, extolling the virtues of peace in a performance before some 2,000 inmates.

The award winning filmmaker Franti - who is responsible for I Know I’m Not Alone, the heralded 2005 documentary about the Iraq War, and the subsequent 2006 Anti- debut Yell Fire!, which was inspired by his travels to the war-torn area - has been praised for his commitments to peace, tolerance and co-existence from journalists and formal and informal leaders throughout the globe.

Franti and Spearhead will celebrate the success of their breakthrough 2006 Anti- debut Yell Fire! by releasing a live, digital-only version of the acclaimed disc this October. In advance of its extensive U.S. autumn tour, the group is currently at work with producer Matt Wallace (The Replacements, Faith No More, John Hiatt) on its next album, due via Anti- in 2008.

www.powertothepeaceful.org
www.spearheadvibes.com

###
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #488 on: September 09, 2007, 10:21:17 AM »
Excited!! Just got Bridge Bene tix for both days. Not the 100's but seats in the 2's. Yay! I'm hoping Springsteen shows up Saturday as he's in town Friday performing. Ought to be quite a weekend. Broooce tix on sale next week.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #489 on: September 09, 2007, 10:50:25 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Excited!! Just got Bridge Bene tix for both days. Not the 100's but seats in the 2's. Yay! I'm hoping Springsteen shows up Saturday as he's in town Friday performing. Ought to be quite a weekend. Broooce tix on sale next week.

Indeed, Broooce with the E-Street band. They're playing Oakland/Oracle/McAfee/WTF arena.  So... anybody know if Ms Scialfa is part of the band this time? Are she & the Boss still splitsville or did they reconcile?

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #490 on: September 09, 2007, 01:16:10 PM »

Indeed, Broooce with the E-Street band. They're playing Oakland/Oracle/McAfee/WTF arena.  So... anybody know if Ms Scialfa is part of the band this time? Are she & the Boss still splitsville or did they reconcile?

I was looking at the Boss' web site last night, and yes, Patti is listed as a member of the band and is pretty close to Bruce in this pic:

Hoping they'll add another local date or two, as there's a 5-day break between Chicago and the current Oaktown date.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #491 on: September 09, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »

I was looking at the Boss' web site last night, and yes, Patti is listed as a member of the band and is pretty close to Bruce in this pic:

Hoping they'll add another local date or two, as there's a 5-day break between Chicago and the current Oaktown date.

Well, nice to know they ironed things out, at least professionally.  His affair (with a 9/11 widow he met at a fundraiser!) a couple years ago was a NY tabloid scandal on a par with A-Rod and the stripper.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #492 on: September 12, 2007, 09:49:30 AM »
Saw Los Lonely Boys at the Fillmore last night.  As a fan of power trios and featured guitar work, I enjoyed the show a lot.  Henry can certainly wail, and I think he's improved some over the last couple years.  The boys may never have another hit (none of their new material stood out, certainly), but they are all excellent musicians, and have an effortless cohesiveness.  They enjoy their time on the stage which translates to a good time for all.

At one point they brought on Papa Garza for a couple of tunes.  Not that he added a whole lot artistically, but the "familia" feel of the show was reinforced.

Anyway, Friday night I'll be at the Velvet Revolver/Alice in Chains show.  We'll see if Slash can match Henry Garza, but I somehow doubt it.  It won't be a completely fair comparison.  I love the Fillmore, and watching from the grass in Concord won't have the same intimacy.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #493 on: September 17, 2007, 10:19:17 AM »
Happy Got Springsteen for Friday 10/26. Wanted lower but took what I got at 206 row 2. Waaaay back but almost center.

Bridge that weekend too. Better take Monday off work!
Sharks bleed teal.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #494 on: September 17, 2007, 10:51:36 AM »
Velvet Revolver/Alice in Chains, Sleep Train, 9/14

Not much to say about this one.  Meh.  The sound on the lawn was godawful.  Slash elevated things occasionally, but generally couldn't seperate the vocals from the surrounding sound, so that didn't work well.  Missed most of Alice in Chains, 'cause we thought there was an opener, and there was not (I, personally, would have made sure we got there in time, but I wasn't driving).

Anyway, will never get lawn seats again.  Too far away, sound sucks.

Next up:  Queensryche, Alice Cooper and Black Sabbath.  Again at the sleep train, but with seats in the 100s...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing