Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443299 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2006, 01:01:25 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Cynthia Plastercaster is sitting on a gold mine.

Although not literally, one hopes.

*RIMSHOT!*
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #301 on: July 11, 2006, 11:40:02 PM »
Went to the Nine Inch Nails show Saturday. Sometimes I just don't learn. I remember more about a bartender and the interesting people than I do about the music. It was a fab night.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #302 on: July 12, 2006, 10:03:11 PM »
My summer concert calendar is finally showing signs of life. Tomorrow night I'm seeing one of my heroes, Ray Davies, @ the Warfield. I hear he's doing a generous helping of Kinks material, and if I get to hear a tenth of the songs I'm dreaming of, I'll be quite happy.

Then the night after is Sonic Youth @ the 'Mo. They aren't my favorite band, but they're a group I need to check in with now and again. It's been a few years since the last time I did, and I'm getting the feeling they might be getting to the end of their run, so I dug deep and I'm going.

Then in about 3 weeks, World Party is doing the Fillmore behind a 6-year old release that finally found a label in the US, and the following night retro-pop rockers Redd Kross are hitting Slims. A great live act if there ever was one.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #303 on: July 12, 2006, 11:45:58 PM »
My summer concert calendar is finally showing signs of life. Tomorrow night I'm seeing one of my heroes, Ray Davies, @ the Warfield. I hear he's doing a generous helping of Kinks material, and if I get to hear a tenth of the songs I'm dreaming of, I'll be quite happy.

Then the night after is Sonic Youth @ the 'Mo. They aren't my favorite band, but they're a group I need to check in with now and again. It's been a few years since the last time I did, and I'm getting the feeling they might be getting to the end of their run, so I dug deep and I'm going.

Then in about 3 weeks, World Party is doing the Fillmore behind a 6-year old release that finally found a label in the US, and the following night retro-pop rockers Redd Kross are hitting Slims. A great live act if there ever was one.

Sounds good. You're a lot more progressive than I am. I'm set up through October. Invited to Pearl Jam but just can't quite get up for coming to the Civic for it. Like their current energy but still not into them enuf. Do have Boz and Doobs at Mtn Winery and RHCP in Oakland. Wrapping up with Roger Waters in Oct and then hopefully a good Bridge benefit. Thinking about Tom Petty at the Greek but can't $$$ commit.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #304 on: July 13, 2006, 07:39:41 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

Sounds good. You're a lot more progressive than I am. I'm set up through October. Invited to Pearl Jam but just can't quite get up for coming to the Civic for it. Like their current energy but still not into them enuf. Do have Boz and Doobs at Mtn Winery and RHCP in Oakland. Wrapping up with Roger Waters in Oct and then hopefully a good Bridge benefit. Thinking about Tom Petty at the Greek but can't $$$ commit.

Hey Ali, are you going to "KC's Disco Party" at Concord, I mean Sleep Train Pavilion? Sat Aug 5th:

KC/Sunshine Band
Gloria Gaynor
Sister Sledge
Tavares

Get DOWN!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #305 on: July 13, 2006, 09:29:27 AM »
Went to the Nine Inch Nails show Saturday. Sometimes I just don't learn. I remember more about a bartender and the interesting people than I do about the music. It was a fab night.

I'd call that a VERY successful night.  Though Trent Reznor really has an impressive physique these days.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #306 on: July 13, 2006, 09:38:31 AM »

Thanks, although I guess "progressive" is a relative term--of all the bands I listed, World Party is the "newest"--and they debuted in '86. I was considering the Petty show too, but like you, can't commit those kinds of $ for one show. Now if I were to hit a "pick-a-pair" contest or some such thing, no problem.
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #307 on: July 13, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Hey Ali, are you going to "KC's Disco Party" at Concord, I mean Sleep Train Pavilion? Sat Aug 5th:

KC/Sunshine Band
Gloria Gaynor
Sister Sledge
Tavares

Get DOWN!

Get down indeed. Concord is too far for me and Bob would NEVER consider the line up.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #308 on: July 13, 2006, 09:50:47 AM »

Can I take your place at the Pearl Jam show?  Pretty please?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #309 on: July 13, 2006, 12:19:38 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I think I'm springing for Petty -- KFOG has a pre-sale thing tomorrow.

Also, me and some buddies are planning on Robin Trower at the Filmore, 7/28.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #310 on: July 13, 2006, 10:30:42 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"

My friend has tix for all shows. If one's still avail, I'll let her know I know someone who'd like to go.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #311 on: July 17, 2006, 08:50:13 AM »
Lauryn Hill in a small club: Brad Kava Liked her; the audience... not so much.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/07/review_lauryn_h.html#more

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #312 on: July 17, 2006, 09:03:18 AM »

sounds just awful. and¨"san jose losers?" ahem.

i don´t agree with this:
Hard jazz and Afro pop would have been the last thing you expected to hear from the woman who graced Time Magazine's cover in 1999 like a fashion model, and that in itself speaks volumes of an artist who is willing to take the biggest risks to present her vision.

seems like exactly the way she´d be headed...don´t they all badu out eventually?

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #313 on: July 17, 2006, 09:06:27 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
seems like exactly the way she´d be headed...don´t they all badu out eventually?

Exactly.  In fact, word has it that Jermaine Jackson has recorded a cautionary song about just this very topic, titled "Word to the Badu."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #314 on: July 17, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

sounds just awful. and¨"san jose losers?" ahem.

i don´t agree with this:
Hard jazz and Afro pop would have been the last thing you expected to hear from the woman who graced Time Magazine's cover in 1999 like a fashion model, and that in itself speaks volumes of an artist who is willing to take the biggest risks to present her vision.

as long as she doesn't change her name to "lauryn.hill"