Author Topic: The Concert Thread  (Read 443345 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #270 on: April 26, 2006, 01:12:39 PM »
per Brad Kava's review of Jimmy Buffett's show at Shoreline, Bill Payne of Little Feat is playing in the Coral Reefer Band these days.  Apparently they did a cover of "Dixie Chicken".

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/04/review_jimmy_bu.html#more
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #271 on: April 26, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
per Brad Kava's review of Jimmy Buffett's show at Shoreline, Bill Payne of Little Feat is playing in the Coral Reefer Band these days.  Apparently they did a cover of "Dixie Chicken".

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/2006/04/review_jimmy_bu.html#more

Don't think this is the first time Payne has been out with the Buffett. And he has a knack of getting heavyweights to join up as temporary Reefers. I saw Buffett a couple of times in the 80s, and recall seeing both Duck Dunn and the Meters' George Porter on bass at various times, and also Sam Clayton on percussion, another Feat-ured player.

While I'm thinking of it, a friend brought to my attention last week this reunion that's playing Mountain Winery in September. It's billed as "James Gang Rides Again with Joe Walsh, Jimmy Fox, Dale Peters" which I would love to see were it not for the pound of flesh they're asking for tickets. Top price is $125 and that's before service charges. The cheap seats are $55--but of course, those are sold out. Joe learned his lessons well during his time with the Eagles (who, admittedly, would be getting even more).

Details here. http://www.themountainwinery.com/schedule/schedule.html
Let's get right to it.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #272 on: May 07, 2006, 10:12:41 AM »
Roger Waters just went on sale. Any of you planning to go, Oct 10? Looks to be a Tuesday night 8pm show which is kind of wicked.
Sharks bleed teal.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #273 on: May 08, 2006, 10:10:52 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Roger Waters just went on sale. Any of you planning to go, Oct 10? Looks to be a Tuesday night 8pm show which is kind of wicked.

He supposed to be playing Dark Side... all the way through.  So I'm kinda tempted.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #274 on: May 08, 2006, 10:50:49 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

He supposed to be playing Dark Side... all the way through.  So I'm kinda tempted.

Top-end seats are just under two bills. Pass.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2006, 07:34:57 PM »
Check this out -- tix are available by auction only. I was unaware that Arthur Lee was ill:

Friday, June 23, 2006 - Beacon Theatre; New York, NY

An all-star benefit concert will attempt to cover the massive medical expenses of rock legend Arthur Lee who was diagnosed in February with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). Unfortunately, he has no medical insurance, already has medical bills in excess of $100,000 and is facing a probable bone marrow transplant.

The incredible lineup at press time includes Robert Plant, Ryan Adams, Ian Hunter, Nils Lofgren, Yo La Tengo, Garland Jeffreys, and Flashy Python & The Body Snatchers (featuring Alec Ounsworth of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah). A host of other significant artists are expected to be added in the coming weeks. In addition to hopefully solving a major financial crisis, this concert will shine a long-overdue spotlight on the hugely influential but greatly underappreciated music of one of the truly innovative and influential rock artists of all-time.

Bid now to see this amazing event and help a worthy cause!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Arthur Lee
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2006, 08:02:32 PM »
Check this out -- tix are available by auction only. I was unaware that Arthur Lee was ill:

Friday, June 23, 2006 - Beacon Theatre; New York, NY

An all-star benefit concert will attempt to cover the massive medical expenses of rock legend Arthur Lee who was diagnosed in February with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML). Unfortunately, he has no medical insurance, already has medical bills in excess of $100,000 and is facing a probable bone marrow transplant.

The incredible lineup at press time includes Robert Plant, Ryan Adams, Ian Hunter, Nils Lofgren, Yo La Tengo, Garland Jeffreys, and Flashy Python & The Body Snatchers (featuring Alec Ounsworth of Clap Your Hands Say Yeah). A host of other significant artists are expected to be added in the coming weeks. In addition to hopefully solving a major financial crisis, this concert will shine a long-overdue spotlight on the hugely influential but greatly underappreciated music of one of the truly innovative and influential rock artists of all-time.

Bid now to see this amazing event and help a worthy cause!

Sad news indeed.  I have been fortunate to see Love a couple of times, but missed out on the Forever Changes tour every time.  I seemed to be out of town when he came by.  I do have the DVD and the CD though.

There's a lower-class benefit at the Whiskey for only $40!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #277 on: May 19, 2006, 01:54:13 PM »
The good news: Smokey Robinson is doing a big-ass world tour to celebrate his 50th Anniv in showbiz.

The bad news: He's doing it under the auspices of David Gest, aka the former Mr Liza Minnelli...

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #278 on: May 19, 2006, 07:55:30 PM »
The good news: Smokey Robinson is doing a big-ass world tour to celebrate his 50th Anniv in showbiz.

The bad news: He's doing it under the auspices of David Gest, aka the former Mr Liza Minnelli...

Dionne Warwick did something very similar last fall.  I guess it was successful enough to get Gest back in the game.   :roll:
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2006, 05:32:35 AM »
maybe ms. wilson fills in for dawn or alison?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #280 on: May 26, 2006, 07:53:33 AM »
OMG! Lloyd Cole. Saturday, June 24. Great American Music Hall.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2006, 10:21:34 PM »
KFOG is giving away T-Bone tix for the Mtn. Winery show this Friday. You pay $0.75 convenience fee and $2.50 to print ticket at home. Password is winery. That's one way to sell out a show!
Sharks bleed teal.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
if I had the energy
« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2006, 12:14:52 AM »
KFOG is giving away T-Bone tix for the Mtn. Winery show this Friday. You pay $0.75 convenience fee and $2.50 to print ticket at home. Password is winery. That's one way to sell out a show!
that will be a great show
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #283 on: June 11, 2006, 10:21:10 AM »
Made it to Shoreline last night for the main stage acts at Live 105s BFD. Pretty good. Couldn't make the early acts but heard Wolfmother was good and I really wanted to see them. Did see Every Move a Picture, Echo and the Bunnymen, HIM, the Strokes, Franz Ferdinand and AFI.
DJ Mike Realm did all the between act sound and video. He's pretty cool.

Fun show.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Concert Thread
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2006, 12:22:44 PM »
I know that Gaz is a Rufus Wainwright fan, so maybe he can explain why this is supposed to be a good idea:

http://upcoming.org/event/60953/

I mean, WTF?